XCPirate

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S/2020 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I am running the Roam Offroad Slimline with the Tire Carrier. It will handle a 40" tire without rattling and it does not need to be unlatched from tailgate to open the gate. I have had it for a couple of months and it is an awesome bumper. Check out the video to see how it installs and how it operates.

bruiser_jlu_75300049_879488155800144_8318308149139058361_n.jpg
Sponsored

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
I've been wanting to inquire about this subject, so perfect timing!

Rusty's also has one for a 40. It's somewhat similar to the EVO, but it has an additional flat section on the tailgate that requires additional holes.

While I recall the EVO originally saying it's 40 capable, I've noticed that they derated it. It also has a reputation for rusting, since they don't e-coat it before powdercoating, and they can't get the powdercoating inside.

Crawler Conceptz is supposed to have their's sometime, and I recall their goal was to make it 40 capable. I don't know.

No real opinion yet of Motobiilt. Their's seems similar to the EVO, so they may be more optimistic on it's capabilities.

I keep coming back to the Genright, but it's pricey. I like that it's lightweight, but it would be a pain in the butt opening it up. The way the tire mounts doesn't seem secure, but I haven't seen on in person. Everyone who has one seems to be happy with it.

With Rusty's, the tailgate holes are optional. You do not have to do them. I had the rusting issue with EVO like you mentioned, hated it.

Rusty's also comes with a support plate that goes in with the body mount side of the hinges.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I ended up with the Motobilt carrier. I'm not a fan of it.
- At the hinge side, the tailgate now sits more than 1/8" inward, and it's not something that can be adjusted out. When shut, the right side of the tailgate puts a lot of pressure on the glass seal.
- You know those grease bolts they use with the hinges? They serve no purpose. They don't grease anything since the grease is captured in the pivot tube - can't make it to the bushings. Lame.
- Lots of fitment issues. Fortunately, I inspected it before having it powdercoated. I had to remove a lot of weld splatter with an angle grinder. Unfortunately, I missed a spot in one of the pivots.
- The hardware they provide for the hinges rusts.
- No CB antenna mount available. I had to make my own.
- Camera mount is pretty hokey (and no instructions).
- The threaded inserts for the license plate don't match the plate. I had to oblong each of the holes in the plate by about 3/16".
- The whole carrier seemed twisted, as it didn't sit flat on the tailgate.

All in all, the Motobilt carrier was a bit disappointing. I think the Rusty's carrier would be my next pick.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I'm running the Poison Spyder tire carrier and have been really happy with it so far. My tire and wheel combo is on the heavy side so I expected some negatives but so far it is alright. Hooks into their bumper.

2.jpg

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I'm running the Poison Spyder tire carrier and have been really happy with it so far. My tire and wheel combo is on the heavy side so I expected some negatives but so far it is alright. Hooks into their bumper.
I had thought about Poison Spyder, as they used to always make quality product. But now that the brand is now under the 4WheelParts umbrella, I was a bit reluctant.

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I had thought about Poison Spyder, as they used to always make quality product. But now that the brand is now under the 4WheelParts umbrella, I was a bit reluctant.
I've been buying Poison Spyder products for almost 20 years so I've gone through all the revisions. I don't see anything different about this versus what I've purchased in the past. I run their front bumper and enjoy it as well. I can't say for sure but I heard that all the stuff is still being made in California. So I think they are good to go. :)

20190909_141508.jpg

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I am running the Roam Offroad Slimline with the Tire Carrier. It will handle a 40" tire without rattling and it does not need to be unlatched from tailgate to open the gate. I have had it for a couple of months and it is an awesome bumper. Check out the video to see how it installs and how it operates.

bruiser_jlu_75300049_879488155800144_8318308149139058361_n.jpg
I just installed the Roam on my Jeep. I have trouble adjusting the tension rod. Can you take pictures of yours and show me how it all comes together? Also, is it supposed to be pretty stiff to open and close? TIA

T4STE

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oswachiart.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
That genrite carrier tho Jesus <3

RearView

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 4 Door
I had my Motobilt for about 3 months and its working really well. These are 20" wheels with a 35" tire. I can't lift it solo to get it on the carrier. It comes with shims to assist in lining the tailgate door up with the vehicle. Therefore, it closes perfect. I put all three shims on and it works perfect.

I don't know about a 40" setup but I do know you could add additional shims to attempt lining the door up, but I'd call them.

MOTOBILT.jpg

bkjolly

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ-5
Genright with out a doubt. Well worth the money , rock solid carrier. Zero rattles, I don’t even know I’m carrying a spare until I look in my rear view mirror!!!!! ;)

9F5ABFA4-2C1F-49D3-8A13-2B8E80F9B0D2.jpeg
Is yours painted or powdercoated?

Sponsored

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
Powder coated
Really?!? Do you happen to know the code for the powdercoat? I didn't know there was powder available that's such an exact match to Mojito!

XCPirate

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the Roam on my Jeep. I have trouble adjusting the tension rod. Can you take pictures of yours and show me how it all comes together? Also, is it supposed to be pretty stiff to open and close? TIA
The video I linked to has a pretty good explanation. You want to make sure you get the shims in on top and bottom to the spacers on each side. They should be so tight that the ball has no up and down movement. The tailgate will be stiff but you can always loosen the bottom swingarm bolt a little if it is too tight. I would put some blue or green locktite on it if you do (just to keep it from backing out).
It is really hard to get pictures of the tension rod when the gate is closed and they wouldn't show you anything when it is open. Just be sure to watch that part of the video. If you need a little extra getting the movement out of the ball do the two nut method I show.

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
The video I linked to has a pretty good explanation. You want to make sure you get the shims in on top and bottom to the spacers on each side. They should be so tight that the ball has no up and down movement. The tailgate will be stiff but you can always loosen the bottom swingarm bolt a little if it is too tight. I would put some blue or green locktite on it if you do (just to keep it from backing out).
It is really hard to get pictures of the tension rod when the gate is closed and they wouldn't show you anything when it is open. Just be sure to watch that part of the video. If you need a little extra getting the movement out of the ball do the two nut method I show.
I have two questions for you:
Did the bumper came with the spacers and bolt already installed on the back plate and the tire side so that you only had to hook them together by the middle double sided bolt or did you have to put it all together?

I am getting a rattle and haven't been able to get rid of it. That's why I wanted a picture just to see how many spacers and shims ans such you put it together to compare to mine. But if it's too hard to take a photo it's all good.

BTW-I can't do the 2 nut method, the bolts aren't long enough. The ones I have are both the same length and only go through the top hole and the second hole.

Thanks dude.

Last edited:

XCPirate

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have two questions for you:
Did the bumper came with the spacers and bolt already installed on the back plate and the tire side so that you only had to hook them together by the middle double sided bolt or did you have to put it all together?

I am getting a rattle and haven't been able to get rid of it. That's why I wanted a picture just to see how many spacers and shims ans such you put it together to compare to mine. But if it's too hard to take a photo it's all good.

BTW-I can't do the 2 nut method, the bolts aren't long enough. The ones I have are both the same length and only go through the top hole and the second hole.

Thanks dude.
no the tension rod comes un-assembled. How I put it together is explicitly spelled out in the video. There should have been a long silver bolt in the kit. That goes on the swingarm side. I think it is a tall spacer on the bottom and short spacer on top with 2 shims, one above and one below the spacers. I would have to undo mine to show you the setup so that’s not happening when it is already available. If you haven’t seen, I have installed the overland kit on the swingarm do it is harder to get to this part now. Sorry
Sponsored