Sponsored

Looking for reviews of the 2.0

randyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
truck
is the 2.0T a direct injection engine? DI engines tend to be noisy in a way that is not unlike diesels

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
is the 2.0T a direct injection engine? DI engines tend to be noisy in a way that is not unlike diesels
Yes they are.
The direct injection injectors are definitely noisy.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jimmyzwheelz

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon 2DR

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
Thank you for the input and feedback on your test drive. You are correct that your test was not "apples to apples". To me, the most important variable in your test was the difference in gearing of the Rubicon compared to the Sahara. .
Yes, that was unfortunate. I bet that even 4-dr vs 2-dr made a difference, but there was no way around it.
I figure that if I liked the Turbo on a 4-dr Sahara, I’ll probably love it on my 2-dr Rubi! ;)

Jzsquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2.0L
Ok so besides the steering issue that I have like so many others I love this engine. I only have 300 miles on it so now heavy foot driving yet but the power is great. The Jeep is super smooth off the line and just a 1/4 throttle moves it nicely on the expressway. I’m averaging 20.9 mpg with 35” tires and stock lift. I have a 2 door and the ride is very nice a little bouncy once in a while but not jeering by any means. Once the motor is broken in, yes I’m old school baby it for 500 miles, I know I will love it more. I do feel it has better power and delivery than the 3.6 I drove.

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
I wish someone with some credentials would review the 2.0 already.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I wish someone with some credentials would review the 2.0 already.
Do you consider Car and Driver credible? They just did a review on a 2.0 Sahara. They like the Turbo but not the steering.

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
Do you consider Car and Driver credible? They just did a review on a 2.0 Sahara. They like the Turbo but not the steering.
Couldn’t find it online but would love to see
the review. Send around the link please.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Couldn’t find it online but would love to see
the review. Send around the link please.
I read the actual magazine article in a dealer waiting room while my car was being serviced.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
I test drove a few 2.0L and 3.6L autos but ended up ordering a 6 spd manual. Something about a Manual in a Jeep. Just seems that’s the way it is supposed to be.

As for the side by side comparison of the v6 vs. turbo 4, the turbo was great. It pulled better off the line, no dead spots between gears, and I felt it had the better power in the Sport JLU vs. the Rubicon 2 door with the v6 and A8. Where the turbo had an issue is, once you run it out, like after you’re on the freeway, I noticed only a little lag while the A8 went looking for a passing gear. It’s a turbo and to be expected.

Living with the turbo was something I considered a lot. A couple of deciding factors guided my choice. First, these are heavy vehicles, generate a ton of heat, and when you’re off-road, those two work against each other. Add to that a second 48v electrical system and the odds in getting stranded in the outback increases significantly. Second, the turbo is having growing pains. The stop ship Jeep had after they caught on fire at the factory, numerous forum members CELs, and dealer service department’s steep learning curve experimenting on my new Jeep wasn't something I wanted to sign up for.

I think the turbo is going to be a great platform. If I were not going to be using the Rubicon’s full potential off-road, and wanted a reliable platform for some casual off-road use that gets better than expected gas mileage, the turbo would be a perfect choice but I also think, if you were looking for the best choice, hold out for the diesel JLU. Low end grunt, great fuel mileage and go anywhere capabilities. That’ll be the ticket. Now, if that were avaiable with a manual...

Jeddi

First Name
Jeddi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK8
Today I test drove a JLUR with 2.0 and instantly noticed it has a lot better pick up than my 2012 3.6 and even JLUR 3.6 which I test drove last week. Seems like a no brainer for me to go with the 2.0 because 3.6 has been a dog for so long. And Yes I've had the 3.8 as well. Looking forward to something different.
Sponsored