limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for recommendations, referrals, etc. on shops to re-gear my 2018 JLUR. I've gotten prices around my area (Reno), but it seems the prices are cheaper in the Sacramento area. So far in Reno, prices are about $2,500 - $2,800 plus tax. I have no problem going to Sac (or surrounding area) for a day or two if it'll save me money.

Places I've contacted and received a quote so far:
  1. Cloakworks
    1. $2,000 for parts and labor - plus tax, uses Dana gear sets
  2. Jaws Gear and Axle
    1. $2,500 for parts and labor - plus tax uses Yukon or Motive gear sets
  3. Ring and Pinion Service
    1. Waiting to hear back
  4. Hunters 4x4
    1. $2,179 OTD - uses Nitro gears (hmm....)
  5. Sierra Gear Shop
    1. $675 per axle (labor) and can supply my own gears
  6. Specialized 4 Wheel Drive
    1. $560 per axle (labor) and can supply my own gears
I'm leaning towards Cloakworks, but very interested in hearing if anyone has any experience with Sierra Gear Shop and/or Specialized 4WD. The guy at Specialized 4WD (Joe) was a blast to talk with and sounds like he runs a small 2 man shop. Sounded like one of those old-time Jeepers who can fix just about anything.

If you can let me know of any other place(s) where you've had gears done and would recommend (or places to stay away from), I'd apreciate it.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Hi Guy (we met at the Memorial Day run last year).

I met Joe at Specialized 4WD when I was dealing with my lemon-lawed ’19. He was working with me on taking it back to stock (he ultimately said it wasn’t possible). He was very nice and really seemed to know what he’s talking about. He spent time looking at my JL but wouldn’t take any money for it since he didn’t do anything. He seems like a stand-up guy. So, I can’t speak to his work, but he was cool.

The shop is full of old Jeeps and is a bit of a mess (omg, I wanted to organize it :LOL:).

One of the cool Jeeps there:
7D8095F5-E19C-4295-AE42-2E80A9ACB536-4K.jpg

OP
OP
limeade

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Guy (we met at the Memorial Day run last year).

I met Joe at Specialized 4WD when I was dealing with my lemon-lawed ’19. He was working with me on taking it back to stock (he ultimately said it wasn’t possible). He was very nice and really seemed to know what he’s talking about. He spent time looking at my JL but wouldn’t take any money for it since he didn’t do anything. He seems like a stand-up guy. So, I can’t speak to his work, but he was cool.

The shop is full of old Jeeps and is a bit of a mess (omg, I wanted to organize it :LOL:).

One of the cool Jeeps there:
7D8095F5-E19C-4295-AE42-2E80A9ACB536-4K.jpg

Thanks Julie for the info. If I decide to get the gears done in Sac, he will be on my short list. Next time I'm there, I will definitely check out his shop!

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I had mine done at River City Differential. Both axles (labor + spicer gears) for ~$1400. Quality work and the best rates around.

Sponsored

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Called him. His price is now $1550 and booking June...he was a little rough and hung up on me when I said I'm heading out on a 1 month road trip and if there was any options to fit me in earlier. Hope his installs are better than his customer service.

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
Called him. His price is now $1550 and booking June...he was a little rough and hung up on me when I said I'm heading out on a 1 month road trip and if there was any options to fit me in earlier. Hope his installs are better than his customer service.
His customer service skills are a bit rough, but his price is more than fair and his work is excellent. He is a 1 man shop, so if he was fighting a rusted bolt when he answered your call... you get the picture.

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I got a quote from WFO in Auburn for $3500. 😳

Think I’ll skip that and check cloakworks

Sponsored

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Cloakworks is moving to the Placerville area, unfortunately.
Any idea when? Since I'd be coming from the Bay area, there's not a huge difference for me, but I'm curious. My plan is to have them install a lift and regear later this year.

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I emailed them a few days ago. I’m waiting to hear back for my quote. I sure hope they’re better than 3500. I see their address is in placerville.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Any idea when? Since I'd be coming from the Bay area, there's not a huge difference for me, but I'm curious. My plan is to have them install a lift and regear later this year.
Looks like they’re in Placerville now: http://www.cloakworks4x4.com/contact.html

I‘m going to have them do my lift install, too.

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for the recommendation Gary. That’s right in my town, maybe 5 mins from me.
đŸ‘đŸ»
Sponsored