Sponsored

Looking for proven jump start solution - My New JLUR 3.6L manual w/ESS cannot start under -15c

Yann

First Name
Yann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My new JLUR less than 1 year on 5kkm, couldn't start in outside parking lot under -15C 2 weeks ago, my collage try to jump start it using his truck, not work after coupe of tries, I give up, unhook the cable, did last try before went back to building, it starts. last week under -20c, happened again, spent 2hrs trying everything not work, including disconnect negtive terminal, boost aux battery only, collage drive me home, next day noon when temp is -4c, it starts. I booked a appointment to visit my dealer next day, I told them most likely it's battery issue, after 2-3 rhs, tech said battery is good, he find cluth sensor corrosion and clean it, job done. I ask him if check both main & aux batteries? guess what? he don't even know there is second one! but he promiss problem solved because code said "cluth A-B switch milfunction...", It start cold again yesterday, -21 to -30c, I am not surprised I stuck on parking lot again, call roadside service, after waiting 1-1/2 hrs, tow truck coming, driver try to jump start using 2 huge jump boosters not working, he is the best guy with initiative, he suggest to push my truck to try push start, but it is too heavy to get enough speed, luckly I just bought a tow rope, he tow me to do pop start, we try 3 times but not really successful, he hop in jeep, push the start button, his magic finger make it start to crank /w struggling! finlly I went home. My dealer know this tory this morning, ask me to check if it can start, stay in my grage overnight, it start @ 2nd try, I drive to dealer, they OBD right away, same "cluth A-B switch ..." again, but they promise to check both batteries this time, let see what can I get on Monday...

Anyone know a proven solution to jump start JLUR 3.6L manual? which battery jump pack will work on it? is it working by hooking up to N1 & disconnected negative terminal? Appreciate !
Sponsored

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
I had a bad aux battery and a bad clutch interlock switch at the same time and it acted about like that.

OP
OP
Yann

Yann

First Name
Yann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I had a bad aux battery and a bad clutch interlock switch at the same time and it acted about like that.
no more issue after replace? any solution to prevent it happen again?

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
My new JLUR less than 1 year on 5kkm, couldn't start in outside parking lot under -15C 2 weeks ago, my collage try to jump start it using his truck, not work after coupe of tries, I give up, unhook the cable, did last try before went back to building, it starts. last week under -20c, happened again, spent 2hrs trying everything not work, including disconnect negtive terminal, boost aux battery only, collage drive me home, next day noon when temp is -4c, it starts. I booked a appointment to visit my dealer next day, I told them most likely it's battery issue, after 2-3 rhs, tech said battery is good, he find cluth sensor corrosion and clean it, job done. I ask him if check both main & aux batteries? guess what? he don't even know there is second one! but he promiss problem solved because code said "cluth A-B switch milfunction...", It start cold again yesterday, -21 to -30c, I am not surprised I stuck on parking lot again, call roadside service, after waiting 1-1/2 hrs, tow truck coming, driver try to jump start using 2 huge jump boosters not working, he is the best guy with initiative, he suggest to push my truck to try push start, but it is too heavy to get enough speed, luckly I just bought a tow rope, he tow me to do pop start, we try 3 times but not really successful, he hop in jeep, push the start button, his magic finger make it start to crank /w struggling! finlly I went home. My dealer know this tory this morning, ask me to check if it can start, stay in my grage overnight, it start @ 2nd try, I drive to dealer, they OBD right away, same "cluth A-B switch ..." again, but they promise to check both batteries this time, let see what can I get on Monday...

Anyone know a proven solution to jump start JLUR 3.6L manual? which battery jump pack will work on it? is it working by hooking up to N1 & disconnected negative terminal? Appreciate !
Check your battery cables, sometimes the negative battery cables work loose. It actually looks like a bad switch problem and not a battery problem based on the intermittent nature of the problem.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yann

Yann

First Name
Yann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
No, that fixed it for good. That also happened about a year after I bought it like yours.
thx to let me know, I will let my dealer know it too if they cannot figure it out

OP
OP
Yann

Yann

First Name
Yann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Check your battery cables, sometimes the negative battery cables work loose. It actually looks like a bad switch problem and not a battery problem based on the intermittent nature of the problem.
Tt only happened under cold weather, cannot be loose cable ...

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
I replaced the Aux battery after it failed to start away from home. I had a booster. Tried to jump it connected to main battery several times. It wouldn't work. I looked on the forum for tips. I then connected it to the N1 and it started. I did this for a couple of days until I could get a new Aux battery. This was over a year ago. No problems. I bought the booster from Amazon.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
Under the fuse cover. This is where the Aux/positive lead is connected to.

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for proven jump start solution - My New JLUR 3.6L manual w/ESS cannot start under -15c IMG_0348

Sponsored

GreySportySpice

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JL Sport 6MT, 21' Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If you want to research this read below. I have a 3.6 manual with ESS and I personally did the ESS battery bypass myself. Like others have said this could also be a switch issue considering it is intermittent but this will remove the unknown of the ESS system for you. Hope it helps.

Jerry’s cheap and easy bypass of AUX:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-aux-battery-bypass.17293/

And his consolidated battery info thread:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-battery-diagram.14401/

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
I have to agree I had the 3.6 with the ESS and I did the ESS battery bypass, and it worked for some reason that AUX battery fails more than helps.

OP
OP
Yann

Yann

First Name
Yann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I replaced the Aux battery after it failed to start away from home. I had a booster. Tried to jump it connected to main battery several times. It wouldn't work. I looked on the forum for tips. I then connected it to the N1 and it started. I did this for a couple of days until I could get a new Aux battery. This was over a year ago. No problems. I bought the booster from Amazon.
Thanks for sharing your proven jump start solution, do you need disconnect main negative terminal ?

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for sharing your proven jump start solution, do you need disconnect main negative terminal ?
No. Just connect + cable to N1 and - to the main battery.