Looking for opinions on shocks.

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Cherokee, 93 Wrangler, 19 Wrangler
Hey Paul, how are the RC Vertex shocks in the winter? Do they stiffen up much when cold? I'm interested in them, but I don't want to repeat mistakes I've made in the past. The Bilsteins on my Tacoma stiffened a lot in the winter, so much that I could tell the temperature by how the truck rode. Thanks
I havent noticed any "stiffening" unless the clickers are adjusted higher. Position 1 feels pretty plush yet way more controlled than stock. I usually run mine on position 2 everywhere other than the 'dunes, and position 8 (max) in the 'dunes. If anything, I feel I could use a tad more damping for the 'dunes.
Sponsored

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR
I havent noticed any "stiffening" unless the clickers are adjusted higher. Position 1 feels pretty plush yet way more controlled than stock. I usually run mine on position 2 everywhere other than the 'dunes, and position 8 (max) in the 'dunes. If anything, I feel I could use a tad more damping for the 'dunes.
Thank you. I loved the Bilsteins off road and in the summer, but in the winter I felt every pebble.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I yanked my springs out and lowered the full weight of the jeep onto the Durosprings to measure the shock bottoming, and there was still travel left on the shocks with the Durosprings half compressed by the weight.
This is VERY interesting as I have a set of durospring bumpstops sitting here waiting to be installed with the Fox 2.0 IFP 2-3'' lift shocks. I've been running the Fox 2-3'' lift shocks on the front of my JLUR with stock springs and haven't had a single issue in a few weeks on the new shocks. Now I'm thinking they will be fine with ZERO added bump spacing and the durospring bumps.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
This is VERY interesting as I have a set of durospring bumpstops sitting here waiting to be installed with the Fox 2.0 IFP 2-3'' lift shocks. I've been running the Fox 2-3'' lift shocks on the front of my JLUR with stock springs and haven't had a single issue in a few weeks on the new shocks. Now I'm thinking they will be fine with ZERO added bump spacing and the durospring bumps.
Now i actually wonder if the durosprings are the same length compressed as the stock bumpstops. I swear I remember reading somewhere they’re the same length when fully compressed. Also, all of these shock lengths is a bit of a gray area for rubis i think also since a rubi is close to the 2in mark from a sport.

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Now i actually wonder if the durosprings are the same length compressed as the stock bumpstops. I swear I remember reading somewhere they’re the same length when fully compressed. Also, all of these shock lengths is a bit of a gray area for rubis i think also since a rubi is close to the 2in mark from a sport.
That's what they claim in their video on the webpage for them (albeit indirectly) They look like they're a little longer uncompressed but since they claim a direct swap for stock ones with no change to bumpstop height, they would have to be the same compressed length I'd think.

Sponsored

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what they claim in their video on the webpage for them (albeit indirectly) They look like they're a little longer uncompressed but since they claim a direct swap for stock ones with no change to bumpstop height, they would have to be the same compressed length I'd think.
Fully compressed, they the same as stock. They are just made of a little more durable material and a little longer so a tad more progressive.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
That is interesting.... for those wondering, those shocks have a 16.75" compressed length (part # 885-24-183). OEM Rubicon shocks are 15.75"

If this works, then the Mopar lift shocks (which are 17.5" compressed) should be able to be used with a or 1" taller bumpstop (or even 0.75"). This might offer a cheap flex upgrade to the Mopar lift owners.

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My RC Vertex are not IFP shocks. IFP shocks have more limited travel per shock length because the internal piston takes up room in the stroke of the shock. The lack of internal piston is why these shocks can use the stock bump stops but have increased travel.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I have a sport with a rubicon suspension. I hit the trails quite a bit which often times involves many miles of washboard roads to get there. I do air down which of course helps but I’m looking to smooth out those miles some. I don’t have unlimited funds so I’m trying to find the a good set under $700. I would appreciate some feedback on what you guys/gals are running.
thanks in advance.
I did the falcon sets but just in the rear ..(For now, I'm ok with the valving up front with the originals ..stock JL all 4 corners, no mods )...The falcons are adjustable but not to the point of my full liking... however , they are notably different on the pavement when u hit medium to relatively large hole they oscillate less in mid travel . They feel about as stiff as the originals when mounted however when compressing them by hand they have much more resistance. They are longer by a few inches meaning that there is going to be some compression travel loss. So u probably need a new taller shock bumper so it doesn't bottom on the actual shock... thats if u ride that hard. For me ..I just bolted them on ..Another thing that helped a bit was softer sidewalls if ur looking for a more supple ride ..I bought a set of slightly used original rolling stock off of a Sahara this further helped my goals, as the tires from this model are softer then the one that came on my JL sport. These were 18 inchers and are common on the Saharas. I still will do further changes because the springs are a big culprit for the harshness in my car. For now though at least my heart doesn't bruise my liver as much when I hit bumps like I used to.

dam_jlu

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU String Gray
At the risk of drawing out the Rough Country haters I am happy to chime in here. I have the 2.5 inch RC lift with the Vertex Adjustable shocks on my 2020 Rubi. I've had them on for about 4k or 5k miles now. Zero problems. Full disclosure I did swap out the RC springs. Not that I didn't like them but I had a chance to put the Rusty's 2 inch progressive rate springs (front and rear) made by Eibach for Rustys and once I put em on i never took them off!! SO I'm running Vertex 2-3inch Ressie shocks with Rustys Performance package (2 inch springs and all the lower control arms plus the track bars) and I kept RC sway bar end links and bump stops on.

Jeep rides great on and off road. I've said this in another thread but i'll briefly review. I live in central Vermont. I live 3 miles up a dirt road. No other way to my house other than a rutted, pot holed, washboard dirt road. I have 2 vehicles. A 2020 Rubicon and 2017 Raptor. When no one is around and all the farm animals and tractors are to bed i often BOMB up my 25 mph road at 40 or 45. The Vertex shocks are usually set on mid setting #4. She runs great! Not exactly as well as the Raptor but that is kinda Raptor territory. Also tonnes of great trails to run around here. Big rocks, ruts, mud pools and some steep climbs. I have no issues with the setup.

On road - everything is 30 to 45 minutes away around here. Jeep runs great. Corners pretty flat but not a harsh ride.

Im not fan boy, just happy customer. Both Rustys and RC have great customer service. Those Vertex shocks come with 3 year warranty as well. happy to answer any questions and good luck.

couple pics!!

20200506_182321.jpg
20200506_174157.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg
THanks for the input. I have a 3.5" RC lift with the basic entry level N3 set of shocks. This is my first jeep and first lift, so I'm still learning.

I do get quite a bit of bounce and harshness on 35x12.50x20 on Toyo Open Country R/T which are an E load rating. Although this does impact the ride quality some, it's not as much as many think.

I Just temporarily installed the factory wheels and tires again and still get some bounce and side to side movement on an imperfect road.

What I'm wondering is, should my next step be upgrading shocks, or the springs? How much did switching your RC springs to the Eibach Rusty change?

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
HI There. I don't know your complete set up but i'm happy to give you my feedback and some advice (for what that is worth ;) )

E Rated tires - especially on a 20 inch wheel are going to make for a pretty harsh ride. I run E rated KO2 but on a 17 inch wheel and aired down to the low 30's.

The Dual Rate Progressive springs from Rusty's, in my case, where an improvement over the 2.5 inch RC springs. Both were an improvement over the stock Rubicon spring. A bit firmer in the corners and a better road feel. The progressives just improved that feel over the RC even more. But I don't think this is your main concern.

Your "bounce and harshness" I believe is going to be your 20 inches E rated tires and your shocks, along with air pressure. You will certainly notice a difference in ride if you upgrade to the Vertex adjustable. Given the 8 levels of adjustability you can "tune out" some or most of the harshness by going to a softer setting.

Lastly - especially with a 3.5 inch lift hopefully you went with all adjustable LCA's. Getting your alignment and especially your caster (ballpark 5.8 to 6.2) properly setup makes a huge difference in road feel. I bet some of that side to side or "squirrely" feeling is due to alignment.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored