Sponsored

Looking for opinions on rear Molle and cargo net ideas..

kr.jeepers

First Name
Chelsea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Hello, new JL owner here 🌊👋

My husband and I have a 2018 JL that we absolutely are loving so far. I'm running into some differing opinions on a full cargo net / molle panel build for the rear. We have a dog we need to keep in the back, but would still like to have windows off. We also need the extra storage. SO - opinions on these two ideas below since we each like different setups and I am indecisive as hell (also cannot for the life of me find ANY examples of the setup I'm leaning towards):

Option 1
Full cargo net rear.
https://www.extremeterrain.com/dirty-dog-4x4-jeep-wrangler-full-netting-kit-j143586-jl.html

Option 2
Cargo net rear
https://raingler.com/products/2018-newer-jeep-wrangler-jl-2-door-back-window-barrier-net

Molle Panel sides
https://www.molle-platform-solutions.com/product-page/jl-2-door-rear-cage-side-molle-panels-pair

I'm leaning more towards option 2, but I'm struggling to find images of that particular panel setup. Husband likes option 1, but is leaving it up to me. Would hard panel sides and soft rear look good?
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I'd lean towards Option 1 but that really depends on the dog.

The dog is very likely to want to be right at the sides and is most likely to be bounced against the sides as the Jeep rocks offroad. The molle panels are metal and would probably make for a lot of nose to metal "boops". If you actually use the molle panels and block the view, the dog will likely try to stick its head out somewhere else less desirable.

With the cargo netting the sides will be softer and getting rocked into them would not be as big a deal. My only concern there is if the dog is just the right size to stick its head through the netting but can't easily pull its head back out.

But you know the dog and what it is or is not likely to do much better than I do. So this is just some practical food for thought.

OP
OP
kr.jeepers

kr.jeepers

First Name
Chelsea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
I'd lean towards Option 1 but that really depends on the dog.

I think this is a good point. She'll be a big dog and does a lot of laying down in the back. Still trying to figure out how best to keep her comfortable back there when we go camping. We have rear seats out now but don't go far with her back there. She typically likes paws up on the middle console but she's getting big FAST and won't be able to do that much. We'd use the panels for sure, most likely for recovery gear or something similar. Mostly just wondering about looks on either option, but your point is something I hadn't considered. Thanks!

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
One thing to consider with those molle panels, I have some roll bar bags which are smaller than the panels you're looking at which only partially block the rear side windows. They can really get in the way of driver vision sometimes, especially the passenger side. The driver doesn't need to look out of those windows often, but when you do... Oh, that's a problem.

So expect to leave the passenger side molle panel mostly unused as the driver will quickly learn they want to see through it occasionally.

OP
OP
kr.jeepers

kr.jeepers

First Name
Chelsea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
OH. Damn. That makes too much sense and I didn't even think of that. Looks like the husband wins this one. Oh well - molle panels in other places works too! Thanks for your thoughts.
Sponsored