Looking for new wheels that don't stick out 3"+

drock317

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS - Ocean Blue
Have a Sahara JL and have some Rubicon suspension take offs and plan to put the RC spacer lift on it.

Would like to run some 18x9 rims with a 35 x12.50 tire and have a +12 offset.

Curious if anyone has ran a wheel similar. I know on the JK you needed the 4.5" backspacing and -12 to -18 offset but I just don't like how far it sticks out.

This website makes it look like it would get me away from the shock just a tiny bit and basically it would just be 2.5" wider than my current setup. So it might stick out a little but not much.

Seem right? If anyone has done this setup on a Rubicon any issues with rubbing while going off road?

Screenshot_20181015-221109.png
Sponsored

DesertsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The Mopar bead lock style wheels are a +12. I looked everywhere for another brand or style and couldn’t find anything with that offset.

jeep31

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport 2018
Seem right? If anyone has done this setup on a Rubicon any issues with rubbing while going off road?
A Rubicon has a wider axle than a Sport or Sahara, so when getting comments on offset/rubbing, you need to take this into account: Given same suspension height, similar tires don't need the same wheel offset on a Rubicon or Sport/Sahara.

I have a JLU Sport. After researching a lot, I came to the conclusion that the right offset for 35s on a JL Sport indeed around +12mm. I also came to the conclusion that only offset matters (well you can use backspace value, but then you need to take into account rim width into your calculations)

I don't know what selection you have for 18" rims. I only looked for 17"

On 17" you can find several +10mm steel. I ended-up buying alloy +11.43mm offset Quadratec Hardrock Wheels, and I love them. No rubbing at all with 2" Mopar lift and Cooper STT Pro 35. Doesn't stick out more than necessary. It also means a bit less stress on these bearings.

OP
OP
drock317

drock317

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS - Ocean Blue
A Rubicon has a wider axle than a Sport or Sahara, so when getting comments on offset/rubbing, you need to take this into account: Given same suspension height, similar tires don't need the same wheel offset on a Rubicon or Sport/Sahara.

I have a JLU Sport. After researching a lot, I came to the conclusion that the right offset for 35s on a JL Sport indeed around +12mm. I also came to the conclusion that only offset matters (well you can use backspace value, but then you need to take into account rim width into your calculations)

I don't know what selection you have for 18" rims. I only looked for 17"

On 17" you can find several +10mm steel. I ended-up buying alloy +11.43mm offset Quadratec Hardrock Wheels, and I love them. No rubbing at all with 2" Mopar lift and Cooper STT Pro 35. Doesn't stick out more than necessary. It also means a bit less stress on these bearings.
Can you show some pictures from the front and back? Sides too if you have them. I'd love to see how it looks and sticks out especially from the front. Thanks in Advance.

coukos34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Cooper, 2016 Corvette Z51
I too did not want tires that stick out too far, for fear of passing inspection. Best wheel option I could find that had both positive offset (+10) and was hubcentric, was Quadratec’s 41’ wheel.

I’m really happy with the fitment on 315/70R17 KO2’s with the RC 2.5” lift. If your willing to do a 17, I can’t recommend enough, especially with the C rated rubber.

Side profile pic is before lift FYI

upload_2018-10-21_8-10-26.jpeg

upload_2018-10-21_8-10-56.jpeg

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Excuse me if I am wrong, but with the JK, aren't AEV's wheels supposed to accomplish this, being vehicle/model specific, so the tires don't stick out? The reason I am asking is because AEV is supposedly releasing (or showing) JL components soon (SEMA?), so it may be worth seeing what they may have to offer before making a decision.

jimmyzwheelz

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon 2DR
Excuse me if I am wrong, but with the JK, aren't AEV's wheels supposed to accomplish this, being vehicle/model specific, so the tires don't stick out? The reason I am asking is because AEV is supposedly releasing (or showing) JL components soon (SEMA?), so it may be worth seeing what they may have to offer before making a decision.
^^^ This!! ^^^

OP
OP
drock317

drock317

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS - Ocean Blue
Most popular wheel packages are -12 and -18 offsets which are round 73-81mm out further which is what I'm trying to avoid.

A +10 is what was show above on the white rubi and is very manageable and doesn't protude too much and that offset is 53mm out so the +12 should bring it in just a tiny bit more.

OP
OP
drock317

drock317

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS - Ocean Blue
I too did not want tires that stick out too far, for fear of passing inspection. Best wheel option I could find that had both positive offset (+10) and was hubcentric, was Quadratec’s 41’ wheel.

I’m really happy with the fitment on 315/70R17 KO2’s with the RC 2.5” lift. If your willing to do a 17, I can’t recommend enough, especially with the C rated rubber.

Side profile pic is before lift FYI

upload_2018-10-21_8-10-26.jpeg

upload_2018-10-21_8-10-56.jpeg

Thanks for posting. This helps a ton and is what I was looking for. Is this a 17x9 wheel?

Sharp looking ride.

Qwknbad

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Telecom
I found the KMC Rockstar 2 wheels are available in a +10 or +38. I have been debating between the two.

Sponsored

OP
OP
drock317

drock317

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS - Ocean Blue
I found the KMC Rockstar 2 wheels are available in a +10 or +38. I have been debating between the two.
I found me some 18 x 8.5 wheels with a +18 and +25 offset options which is basically what the AEV wheels are at Sema. It's the look I want. Need to go get a quote now for them at discount tire.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
You
Have a Sahara JL and have some Rubicon suspension take offs and plan to put the RC spacer lift on it.

Would like to run some 18x9 rims with a 35 x12.50 tire and have a +12 offset.

Curious if anyone has ran a wheel similar. I know on the JK you needed the 4.5" backspacing and -12 to -18 offset but I just don't like how far it sticks out.

This website makes it look like it would get me away from the shock just a tiny bit and basically it would just be 2.5" wider than my current setup. So it might stick out a little but not much.

Screenshot_20181015-221109.png
you realize they stick out for more clearance right? Thats the whole point of back spacing

OP
OP
drock317

drock317

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS - Ocean Blue
You

you realize they stick out for more clearance right? Thats the whole point of back spacing
Yes I do understand that, but there is a point that its excessively sticking out. You get the proper set up and you can still flex without rubbing. These setups have different needs than the JK and why I'm asking. It looks like the AEV setup at Sema has big tires and using a +25 offset on their 17" wheels and are flexed pretty good all while sitting proper with the fenders.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
:facepalm: Your Sahara doesnt have wider axles. Whats your concern?

OP
OP
drock317

drock317

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS - Ocean Blue
:facepalm: Your Sahara doesnt have wider axles. Whats your concern?
My concern is that a majority of the wheels stick out past the fenders over 2-3" because most wheels have a big negative offset and it's the look i don't want. I don't want rocks flinging down the side of the Jeep cause they stick out so far. So I was looking for advice or pictures of people who didn't do the standard setup so commonly used on the JK's and what their experience was.
Sponsored