Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Hi,

I recently bought a wrangler JL 2-Door. I don't do heavy wheeling (yet), but often find myself on fire-roads, OHV roads, for camping/MTB trips and such. I contacted my insurance (Geico) about off-road accidents since nowhere in the policy it is mentioned. I also asked them to define "off-roading". Here's their answer:
Case: 37660531

"""
Apologies, if an accident occurs when using the vehicle off-road, the claim will most likely not be covered.

Off-roading is considered any use of vehicle off of publicly maintained roadways.

Sincerely,

Breanna A.
GEICO Internet Team

GEICO Casualty Company
"""

I think many of the roads I've taken are definitely not "publicly maintained roadways" whatever that means exactly. Any suggestion on insurance company? I am obviously switching, I don't drive a Jeep to stay on the asphalt. I also have an air compressor and looking to get some rock guards soon, so will probably be trying harder trails sooner than I expect.

I think in California OHV roads are considered public roads, so it should be ok? confusing...
Sponsored

Jtimbrook

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
IF you're military, former military, or your mother or father is (and already has USAA) I strongly suggest USAA. I've had them for years and they have been absolutely the best company and have taken care of every issue I've had with various Jeeps including picking up a $2500 tow tab to get me from Big Bend National to Monahans, TX (closest dealer at the time) to get my transfer case repaired on a Sunday night.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I use Progressive. The only exclusions I could find in the contract are that underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage won't apply if you are off public roads.
But I don't expect a hit and run from an uninsured motorist off on the trails.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Hi,

I recently bought a wrangler JL 2-Door. I don't do heavy wheeling (yet), but often find myself on fire-roads, OHV roads, for camping/MTB trips and such. I contacted my insurance (Geico) about off-road accidents since nowhere in the policy it is mentioned. I also asked them to define "off-roading". Here's their answer:
Case: 37660531

"""
Apologies, if an accident occurs when using the vehicle off-road, the claim will most likely not be covered.

Off-roading is considered any use of vehicle off of publicly maintained roadways.

Sincerely,

Breanna A.
GEICO Internet Team

GEICO Casualty Company
"""

I think many of the roads I've taken are definitely not "publicly maintained roadways" whatever that means exactly. Any suggestion on insurance company? I am obviously switching, I don't drive a Jeep to stay on the asphalt. I also have an air compressor and looking to get some rock guards soon, so will probably be trying harder trails sooner than I expect.

I think in California OHV roads are considered public roads, so it should be ok? confusing...
Hey @entropy Enrique:

The sad truth: pretty much any of the insurance companies out there, whether they clearly state it in their [basic] policies, exclusions, or other materials, will, best case scenario, not cover off road incidents without a fight, and worse case, categorically say "you're on your own," as it involves liability or damages incurred on such property.

Sometimes fine lines exist between what is road and what is trail as may be the case with some of the roads you describe. Sometimes there are exceptions when, say, multiple rescue vehicles, designed for the possibilities of such off road rescue, are underwritten under fleet policies.

When actuaries calculate the likelihood of an insurance company having to cover incidents, they start with some assumptions: one being paved road driving. Without these assumptions, monetizing insurance loss would become harder for them to predict, and we'd end up paying [even more] astronomical rates to pool insure the moron who tries to extreme ski his rig down a black diamond ski slope. Still more, if there's one thing that often happens to insurance policies (that also happens to mortgages) it is that they are sold: often to reinsurers, who will only buy policies that conform to some basic coverage limitations. In an effort to have consumers not pay more for other people's greater risk, things like parking zip code and accident history factor into rates.

I'm not sure this explanation leaves you any less frustrated. Perhaps people here know of specific off road umbrella policies.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
National companies like State Farm underwrites across the nation but I think insurance is regulated differently by State. Language might be different. What might be true in one State might not be in another like CA. For more options I'd go talk to a Independent Agent in your State to see what they have to say. Independents have more options and companies to choose from.

Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Pull out your policy and go to the exclusions section under collision. If it's not specifically excluded it will be covered (for most policies - others may state nothing is covered unless specifically listed in the policy).

Where you may see limits is on towing. Most policies will limit towing/recovery to within so many feet of a public road. You may have to figure out how to get it back to "civilization" on your own.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
This brings up an interesting question: what exactly is Offroad driving? I have GEICO and just had a look at my policy exclusions. The only thing that may apply here is this :
Liability:
12. We do not cover bodily injury or property damage
caused by an auto driven in or preparing for any racing, speed, or demolition contest or stunting activity of any nature, whether or not prearranged or organized.

Collision:
14. There is no coverage for any loss caused by participation in or preparing for any racing, speed or demolition contest or stunting activity of any nature, whether or not prearranged or organized.

Racing? No
Speed? Certainly not
Demolition Contest? Not purposely
Stunting activity of any nature? Hmmmmmm, I donā€™t think so. But maybe thatā€™s the hook for geico. Were you engaging in Stunting Activity when you rolled your new JL?

Other than this paragraph I found nothing prohibiting ā€œOffroadā€ use. Nothing about maintained roads, etc.

Last edited:

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
IF you're military, former military, or your mother or father is (and already has USAA) I strongly suggest USAA. I've had them for years and they have been absolutely the best company and have taken care of every issue I've had with various Jeeps including picking up a $2500 tow tab to get me from Big Bend National to Monahans, TX (closest dealer at the time) to get my transfer case repaired on a Sunday night.
Iā€™ve had USAA for over 20 years and completely agree

Rad vlad

First Name
Vlad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
As a insurance adjuster most if not all policies do not say anything about off road use read your policy the policy dictates the coverage not the insurance company

sm16

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi, 2016 BMW X6M
Have you tried Liberty Mutual? They have a Jeep affiliation discount. Itā€™s either 5 or 10%.

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
try AAA most dirt roads are "maintained" things like the rubicon hammers etc. are not.

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Have you tried Liberty Mutual? They have a Jeep affiliation discount. Itā€™s either 5 or 10%.
I tried them here and got quoted 320....but I live in LA and rates here are stupid high for the most part. Every known insurance wanted 240+, infinity was the lowest with the exact same coverage than others (less than $200)....I havent read about off road coverage though...I'm not planning to take some crazy adventures but something to check on.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
So I decided to cut ties with Geico since they where very explicit on their written response, saying the do not cover off-road incidents (including a fire road to a campsite....).

I contacted Metromile (it is a somewhat new insurance company). They told me by e-mail that they would cover off-road accidents, saying it would fall under collision and I will of course be found at fault. I went with them, My wife and I have very short commutes so it is pretty cheap for us to pay by mile anyway.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
This brings up an interesting question: what exactly is Offroad driving? I have GEICO and just had a look at my policy exclusions. The only thing that may apply here is this :
Liability:
12. We do not cover bodily injury or property damage
caused by an auto driven in or preparing for any racing, speed, or demolition contest or stunting activity of any nature, whether or not prearranged or organized.

Collision:
14. There is no coverage for any loss caused by participation in or preparing for any racing, speed or demolition contest or stunting activity of any nature, whether or not prearranged or organized.

Racing? No
Speed? Certainly not
Demolition Contest? Not purposely
Stunting activity of any nature? Hmmmmmm, I donā€™t think so. But maybe thatā€™s the hook for geico. Were you engaging in Stunting Activity when you rolled your new JL?

Other than this paragraph I found nothing prohibiting ā€œOffroadā€ use. Nothing about maintained roads, etc.
They explicitly told me off-road isn't covered. I suggest you contact them.

TrillestSon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Im 27, the JL Rubicon is my dream car so I got it -- but I obviously didn't just have $50K lying around so this was a HUGE concern for me as we take her out to OHV, trails, forest roads, pretty much anything thats on a map. I don't do anything crazy out there but we definitely use the Jeep in the terrain and environments it was build for, which sure as hell is not maintained roads. I live in the bay area in California. Most insurance companies are unsurprisingly not enthusiastic about covering me. I was specifically concerned about A) trail damage/total with myself or another at the wheel and B) Difference in insurance payoff value vs finance amount. I was also curious about custom parts and recovering a rolled Jeep.

I switched from Geico because the premium was insane AND my insurance agent specifically said off roading is not covered AND I read my policy and confirmed it was not covered. Don't Jeep with Geico.

I looked around a lot and most insurance companies said that no one will cover this. I'll be damned if an insurance company is going to dictate where I can drive my car but I'm also not completely wreckless and could not have fun out there unless I knew the Jeep was covered. I hate those progressive commercials maybe a bit more than the next guy so they were the last company I called.

Progressive said that my Jeep would be covered for off road accidents-- anything that is not specifically listed in the exceptions of the policy. It was also $100 cheaper a month than Geico. I went with Progressive and pulled the highlights out of the policy if anyone is curious.

The short answer is that with Progressive (Collision insurance) you are covered off road unless its an organized event or race, or a temporary or permanent racetrack. This extends to anyone else you allow to drive the car (unless you were renting them the car).

Comprehensive insurance covers the car from anything mother nature may do to it out there or if the car burns down. Or if it gets stolen or destroyed in a riot (Oakland, CA baby). Pretty much anything except a war or nuclear accident.

Modifications are covered up to $1000 unless specifically declared. GPS and CB radios are not covered. Trailers are essentially not covered (check the linked doc).

Recovery is your responsibility if you are off road.

I have a gap waiver which covers the difference between the insurance payoff amount and the amount I paid for the JL. You need to purchase a gap waiver within 30 days of buying the car new, otherwise you would want loan/lease payoff insurance from your provider.

I read the entire document, luckily its only 40 pages and the exceptions are easy to find and clearly stated, I did not see any trickery in the other 38 pages. The exceptions to collision coverage is what you are looking for and you should definitely check your policy if you are off roading out there because things happen and thats why you are paying for insurance.

Progressive insurance Highlights document (including the entire exceptions section and anything related to off road driving).
Sponsored