Looking for Magnuson feedback

USAFREODRetired

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Just moved from Virginia to Colorado. Drove from the Springs to Breck yesterday, and some of those passes are damn near 10,000' MSL. My poor little 3.6 with MT spinning 35" tires was huffing and puffing, and it was really hard to maintain highway speeds at many points along the route.

Since I'm now living at ~6.000' MSL, it's looking like a supercharger is a realistic option. I've read a ton on a lot of the other kits on the market, but since my JLUR is a daily driver and I don't rev over 5K, a roots charger just makes more sense.

I already have a Livernois Motorsports ECU, and it works great. Running 91 octane tune, and it definitely performs better than stock, but I really need help at altitude.

I haven't seen much in this forum regarding the Magnason. Anyone have this installed? I've seen all the Toyota YouTube videos, and it all seems very legit, but I know there have been problems with running SC on the 3.6 in the past. The local shop here is biased towards V-8 conversions, but if I'm going to spend that much cash I'll have to save up for the new 392, if I can find one that I want, which might take a year or two (and not paying extortion money to dealerships on top...)

Would be grateful for any real-life experience with the Magnuson kit.

Thanks!
Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I am in Aurora, what shop did you go to? I have been eyeing the Magnuson kit as well so subscribing...

It seems like a few of the shops look down on superchargers for altitude. I will say that I installed a Boost Technologies supercharger in my 4.0L TJ and really noticed a power increase. It took me back to better than stock feeling power. What I mean by that is that I was running Dana 60's, Atlas, tons of armor, cage, etc. and could easily get past 80 mph on a stretch of road that I could not get above 60 mph prior to the install. Off the line it was quick and fun to drive, not race car quick, but much better than without the supercharger. Altitude did not seem to have a negative effect.

OP
OP

USAFREODRetired

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The Cirrus SR-22 I fly can't make more than 73% of rated power at 10,000' MSL on a standard temp day, less when it's a warm day. There just aren't as many O2 molecules in the air at altitude, and no matter how you fiddle with mixture, you just can't make as much power up high.

Same is true for autos, thus the supercharger makes theoretical sense for those of use at higher altitudes.

I'm really surprised there isn't much discussion of the Magnuson on this forum. They put a bit into R&D, but when I reached out to them they just referred me to their website for local contacts (a Toyota dealer - who wasn't interested in helping Jeepers.)

My buddy here runs SCs on his Mustang and Vette, and swears by the Magnuson on his Toyota. But there doesn't seem to be much interest in the Jeep community.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

It is certainly more economical power than an engine swap. I know everyone thinks they can put in a 5.3 or 6.0 or hemi for less than 5k, but after you add up all the adapters and it cost much more and most people can't do the swap themselves in their driveway. The Supercharger takes a day to install and is fairly easy for someone that has basic tools and some experience wrenching.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
There people running the magnuson supercharger kit with varying degrees of satisfaction. The latest file from magnuson is reportedly pretty good, but the most satisfied users all have a third party file from a guy on the gladiator forum. It is expected the magnuson file will continue to improve. The throttle mapping and limiters inside the ecu are a lot more complicated than people first realized and tuning these trucks is difficult. Livernois will tune it but they need your truck for 2-4 weeks. My plan once my kit gets delivered is to run the magnuson tune for a short time for validation then run third party.

the edebrock kit is good to go as is. Stock file to stock file you dont give up any power and they also include transmission tuning which is welcomed. If you dont plan on turning it up the boost past 12psi down the road, its a fine option. I passed on it because ill be doing a built motor and cranking up the boost down the road, and it is my guess heat will become an issue past about 12psi, but i readily admit i have no hard data on that figure. They also use a really well designed dual pass heat exchanger, that magnuson does not use.

at present, for people who ask my opinion- if you plan on fiddling and making as much power as possible get the mag. If you just want to have a box show up at your door thats totally complete from soup to nuts to tuning and have your truck drive more gooder-er, get the edelbrock

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

This is the guy I went with for my TJ. He has a kit for the JK and I may offer up my JL as a test dummy for him to create a supercharger for the 2018+. I was hoping to wait a bit longer until I was bumping up against the warranty expiration, but I am getting anxious and have some money to burn right now before the wife uses it.

https://www.boostedtech.com/superch...2012-2014-wrangler-3-6-liter-v6-supercharger/

OP
OP

USAFREODRetired

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks for the info. This guy is up the road in Lakewood to boot.

What was your experience with the SC on the TJ?

LT1Chevy210

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Ecodiesel, 2023 JL 2.0L, 2019 Duramax
I’ve been running the Magnuson on a MT 3.6 since early October. Initially, I was thoroughly disappointed with tune from Magnuson (Petty) as it was great under power but the part throttle drivability. I played around with some of the tunes from Dave, eventually received an updated tune from Magnuson that was better but still not great and am currently back on one of Dave’s tunes. Drivability is now pretty good however it still has some weird hiccups and bucking as it transitions from vacuum to boost from time to time.

Even though the tune leaves a little to be desired, I’d still install the kit again. My JLR is pretty much stock other than the blower and it has made a substantial improvement up in the mountains. I went into this not expecting it to be perfect, had that not been the case I probably would be disappointed. Let me know if there’s anything else you’d like more info on.

tesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 Ocean Blue
Magnuson’s tune is shit. When the engine was cold, I couldn’t accelerate enough to even merge into traffic. Bucking and causing horrible shifts in my 2018 JLUR 6MT. Finally went to a custom tune and it made way better power and the drivability is back. The stock air box was too restrictive so we went with a cone filter to get air into the engine. I’ll have to install the stock filter and box if I go on a trail to prevent tester damage.
Bottom line, it’s good if you get a custom tune but I would assume that expense going in. If you go with the Magnusson tune, prepare to be disappointed

Sponsored

OP
OP

USAFREODRetired

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Magnuson’s tune is shit. When the engine was cold, I couldn’t accelerate enough to even merge into traffic. Bucking and causing horrible shifts in my 2018 JLUR 6MT. Finally went to a custom tune and it made way better power and the drivability is back. The stock air box was too restrictive so we went with a cone filter to get air into the engine. I’ll have to install the stock filter and box if I go on a trail to prevent tester damage.
Bottom line, it’s good if you get a custom tune but I would assume that expense going in. If you go with the Magnusson tune, prepare to be disappointed

I've done a fair bit more research, and this is the general conclusion for all FI solutions for the JL other than the Edelbrock. Edelbrock seems to be the only vendor with a decent tune, and on the 3.6 this seems to be critical due to the engineering margins left on this powerplant. The most common complaint with Edelbrock is they leave a lot of change on the table, but here at altitude that shouldn't matter much.

In the meantime, I've concluded that I'll re-gear and wait for more time on the Edelbrock solution.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Thanks for posting the video. I was concerned that these kits would not fit the 3.6l with eTorque...

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
whipple > magnuson
whipple has a spot on their site for a kit for our trucks, but they purportedly cant get the tuning figured out yet.

That said, Lysholm style superchargers are reportedly more efficient by half a degree of temp per psi of compressed air than a TVS, but ive never seen that actually take place outside lab testing when comparing them to TVS blowers of equal displacement. Its always a 17 liter whipple or kenne bell against a 1 liter TVS....any time the displacement gets within a half liter, the TVS crushes it.

TVS blowers are turning out to be the most modern, efficient, and reliable tech in the supercharger world, which is why all the OEM’s have switched to it; and even then Lysholm use was limited. What? One gen of Cobra; the COPO Camaro, and a couple AMG’s right?

although, whipple does give you the opportunity to buy yesterday’s technology at today’s most premium of prices, so there is that.....
Sponsored

Last edited: