First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Beach High Tide, 2021 2 dr. Willys stick
Occupation
Professional Nobody
Well good thing is you can probably get a sweet price for the JLURD.
True, I got 53k for my JLURD after owning it for over 1 1/2 years. I paid a little over 49k out the door.

OP
OP
Marine2146

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
Well good thing is you can probably get a sweet price for the JLURD.
I do absolutely love my diesel, it would be hard to let go of. I agree it has enough power for the way I drive, and plenty of passing power on the freeway. If I don’t use cruse I find my self going way over the speed limit unknowingly.

Deleted member 59498

I do absolutely love my diesel, it would be hard to let go of. I agree it has enough power for the way I drive, and plenty of passing power on the freeway. If I don’t use cruse I find my self going way over the speed limit unknowingly.
So true, I have to watch myself it creeps into 80s mph easy, of course 392... man, police would be retiring off me!

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
The 392 (non-XR) on 35's did drop into 7th on the NC freeway hills quite a bit. It was fine though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Marine2146

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Me too, but I need to find a sponsor.
True, I got 53k for my JLURD after owning it for over 1 1/2 years. I paid a little over 49k out the door.
Yeah I would Definitely need to let go of some other toys.
I bought mine at 7% below invoice so I hope I could make a little on it.

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I wish I had that kinda money to be worried about which one I should go with but here is my two cents:

1. With higher diesel price, DEF fluid, oil filters, and other maintenance costs, does a diesel engine really save much on operation cost compared to a V8?
2. The higher low-end torque of the diesel does not make you tow or haul more. At least not in a Wrangler.
3. The engine sound, there is no debate.
4. Value. Buy a proper V8 while you still can.

The range per tank is the only upside of diesel in my opinion but that is a non-issue for 99% of the people.

OP
OP
Marine2146

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 392 (non-XR) on 35's did drop into 7th on the NC freeway hills quite a bit. It was fine though.
Which highway in NC do you notice this the most? Asking because I’m use to I77 and Hwy 421

OP
OP
Marine2146

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wish I had that kinda money to be worried about which one I should go with but here is my two cents:

1. With higher diesel price, DEF fluid, oil filters, and other maintenance costs, does a diesel engine really save much on operation cost compared to a V8?
2. The higher low-end torque of the diesel does not make you tow or haul more. At least not in a Wrangler.
3. The engine sound, there is no debate.
4. Value. Buy a proper V8 while you still can.

The range per tank is the only upside of diesel in my opinion but that is a non-issue for 99% of the people.
I’m not rich by any means, just a poor farmer with a travel nurse for a wife lol. I would definitely have to let go of some of my other vehicles to offset the cost of the 392. But they’re just sitting around not being driven while I pay insurance on them anyway.
The diesel does get the best mileage of any vehicle I’ve owned so far. Most of the other stuff I drive is diesel and only gets around 15 miles to the gallon anyway. So the 392 at 13 miles per gallon will probably even out in fuel prices.
And I just changed my oil for the first time the other day, it was hard to find the correct oil yet alone a filter. And it wasn’t cheap.

OP
OP
Marine2146

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll also add that I just ordered an AEV dualsport 2.5 Xp kit with the 8100 shocks two days ago. I’m assuming they use the 3.0 kit for the 392? It no longer comes with a proca but I have a tazer mini anyway. So I see the springs as the only variable.

Sponsored

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not rich by any means, just a poor farmer with a travel nurse for a wife lol. I would definitely have to let go of some of my other vehicles to offset the cost of the 392. But they’re just sitting around not being driven while I pay insurance on them anyway.
The diesel does get the best mileage of any vehicle I’ve owned so far. Most of the other stuff I drive is diesel and only gets around 15 miles to the gallon anyway. So the 392 at 13 miles per gallon will probably even out in fuel prices.
And I just changed my oil for the first time the other day, it was hard to find the correct oil yet alone a filter. And it wasn’t cheap.
Looks like I need to change my Tinder profile to "looking for a travel nurse".

Jeepiner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeepineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I have yet to drive either (ordering soon).. I'll be going diesel, it better suits my needs of long travel / overlanding / hunting. If I wanted to exercise my leadfoot I'd go with a sports car.

Besides, I can't imagine my insurance would be too kind to a 25 year old with a V8! 🤣

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
@ this part "Most of the other stuff I drive is diesel and only gets around 15 miles to the gallon anyway" Depending on how you drive you might see better mpg with a 392 than the 15 mpg diesels you mentioned :)

At 1,000 miles on the ODO I am averaging 17 mpg with the 392. I don't baby it, i dont' try to run it into the ground, I kick it in the @ss every once in a while just to hear it and see what it'll do, but for the most part just normal daily driving.

My previous Wrangler was the 6 and that is a great engine/trans combo no complaints there. I had better mpg, not by a whole lot. I am ok with the 17 I am getting now and the drive is a lot more fun!

Good friend has a JK Sport lifted with 35s and she still gets worse MPG than my 392 LOL!
That 8 speed made a major difference in the game.