First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
I’ve been looking into the GOBI rack. I’m looking to see if anyone has any feedback good or bad about it.
Sponsored

Quest

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
I have had my Gobi since October 2019 and it fits my needs well. If you want to chat about the rack in more detail or go hands on with mine pm me and we will work something out. I am in SB county so we're practically neighbors.

The only surprise for me is the significant reduction in gas mileage when driving over 67ish mph on highways. Above this speed I only see 8th gear if I am going down a steep hill. I am not an engineer but I suspect this is due to the additional weight and wind resistance. I have a mostly stock sport, 3.6, automatic, lsd, 3.45 gears, stock wheels/tires and jlur shocks/springs. Not likely to be an issue for you because of the jlur gearing.

OP
OP
Fonzilla85

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lawman
I have had my Gobi since October 2019 and it fits my needs well. If you want to chat about the rack in more detail or go hands on with mine pm me and we will work something out. I am in SB county so we're practically neighbors.

The only surprise for me is the significant reduction in gas mileage when driving over 67ish mph on highways. Above this speed I only see 8th gear if I am going down a steep hill. I am not an engineer but I suspect this is due to the additional weight and wind resistance. I have a mostly stock sport, 3.6, automatic, lsd, 3.45 gears, stock wheels/tires and jlur shocks/springs. Not likely to be an issue for you because of the jlur gearing.
Thanks for the reply. I’d definitely be interested to see it in person. I’ll PM you my info, I have a few days off next week, if that works for you I can drive up. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I am In for some feedback, likely buying mine in the next few weeks. Do either of you have the SKY One? What SKU did you purchase? In the product description it states it comes with 2 x removable cross bars but the installation instructions makes no mention of siuch for the JL. I see JK model does show cross bars in the instructions / contents. What the heck does the mesh platform look like. From the side it appears the removable crossbars or add on sunroof platform can be secured onto an upper Or lower bar. If that is the case I am trying to understand if the SKY One will open w/ the platform or crossbars on the lower support if that makes sense.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Gobi, too. And on it I will mount an iKamper Skycamp 2.0 and my Rhino Batwing. I may not need (nor will I be able to afford) a house anymore.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fonzilla85

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lawman
I am In for some feedback, likely buying mine in the next few weeks. Do either of you have the SKY One? What SKU did you purchase? In the product description it states it comes with 2 x removable cross bars but the installation instructions makes no mention of siuch for the JL. I see JK model does show cross bars in the instructions / contents. What the heck does the mesh platform look like. From the side it appears the removable crossbars or add on sunroof platform can be secured onto an upper Or lower bar. If that is the case I am trying to understand if the SKY One will open w/ the platform or crossbars on the lower support if that makes sense.
I have a standard hard top. I took a peek at the sky one version but didn’t see the cross bars. I took a look at the install notes, and they had no mention of them. My guess is that they provide the platforms shown, they mount at the top of the rack, which should not affect the use of you sky one. I could be wrong tho.

8C796168-CCFF-415D-8C15-7C79DA354DE8.jpeg

CB8B214D-A3CF-484B-89E7-1D50DF7A4646.png

OP
OP
Fonzilla85

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lawman
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Gobi, too. And on it I will mount an iKamper Skycamp 2.0 and my Rhino Batwing. I may not need (nor will I be able to afford) a house anymore.
I actually was thinking of living out of my Jeep for a year, just for the experience and to see how much money I could save up. Maybe after I finish installing everything I need to be self sufficient, I’ll give it a go.

Quest

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
I have the hardtop. It looks like the
I have a standard hard top. I took a peek at the sky one version but didn’t see the cross bars. I took a look at the install notes, and they had no mention of them. My guess is that they provide the platforms shown, they mount at the top of the rack, which should not affect the use of you sky one. I could be wrong tho.

8C796168-CCFF-415D-8C15-7C79DA354DE8.jpeg

CB8B214D-A3CF-484B-89E7-1D50DF7A4646.png

I have the hardtop. On my gobi rack the platform is welded in place to the lower bars and gobi supplies to cross bars for the upper bar level. I looked at the SkyOne version and agree with Fonzilla85 the deck is on the top bars and removable to allow room for the skyone to open. Because the deck mounts to the top bars on the rack the way the cross bars do on mine, you wouldn't need the cross bars.

The picture below shows my rack. On the left is my hitch hoist strapped to the movable cross bars. The pigs are on the deck which is welded to the lower bars. I don't have the "removable" sun roof insert on the forward area of the rack.

upload_2020-1-15_7-43-33.png
Sponsored