Sponsored

Looking for Front Bumper Install Advice.

Voodoobones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport JL
I was hoping to get some install advice from some of you who have installed bumpers and winches.
I finally received my Rampage Rock Rage front bumper for my JL Sport. I was wondering if I need to mount the winch on the bumper first or if I can mount the bumper first and then the winch?

It would be much easier, in theory, to mount the bumper and then the winch, but I know what I think makes sense and what actually makes sense doesn't always match up.

Also, if you have any other tips about mounting this bumper to a JL Sport, I would love to hear them.

Thanks!
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I was hoping to get some install advice from some of you who have installed bumpers and winches.
I finally received my Rampage Rock Rage front bumper for my JL Sport. I was wondering if I need to mount the winch on the bumper first or if I can mount the bumper first and then the winch?

It would be much easier, in theory, to mount the bumper and then the winch, but I know what I think makes sense and what actually makes sense doesn't always match up.

Also, if you have any other tips about mounting this bumper to a JL Sport, I would love to hear them.

Thanks!
My Quadratec bumper was pretty tight when mounting my Smittybuilt SRC 9500 Gen2 winch since the winch wires are on the back side of the motor. Some winches that have wiring on top would probably be ok to mount the winch once the bumper is on.

I did mount the winch after the bumper install but added a bit more time and a few more 4letter words added to my vocabulary :(

Here's the install instructions for my bumper, should be similar to most others although the fog light instructions would be different.

https://www.quadratec.com/sites/def...ions/QRC_F_BUMPER_JL_12057_014X_LTR_WEB_0.pdf

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
You can go either way the bumper looks like the winch is easy to get on after the fact

Putting the winch on the bumper off the Jeep is easier to get the winch mounting bolts but makes installation of the bumper more awkward with the winch power cables and the added weight. Where putting the bumper on first is easier, but can be tricky not impossible to install the winch bolt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm adding Rugged Ridge 3/4" front spacers to get the JL back to level, should have picks up tomorrow night :)

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I had a successful install and I love it! Any suggestions as to what lights I should use for the bullbar?
IMG_5144.jpg
looks good. as far as lights, you cant go wrong with any styles. it all depends on what your needs for lighting. such as flood, wide, narrow, spot, light pattern. i would keep in mind to pay attention to the dia of the lights. the only raeson i mentioned this is that the bull bar sticks out there and if you run a big dia light. you will see the top part of the light sticking up from the hood. this could be annoying. i've seen the led bar mounted on top and they look good. i'm more for the individual light vs the bar.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Installed Rugged Ridge 3/4" spring spacer in front to bring the front back to level after adding the bumper and winch. Took about 2 hrs since I also rotated my tires while I was down there :)

The Rugged Ridge part # 18360.04 is for the JK but works fine for the JL too.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GT8AJPW
IMG_0387.JPG

You must cut off the two rubber orientation prongs on the OEM spring isolators. You need to mark on your bump stop & the spring isolator so you keep it in the same spot when you add the spacers since the isolator is a bit thicker on one end.

Here's a pick of before & after~
IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG

OP
OP
Voodoobones

Voodoobones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport JL
Installed Rugged Ridge 3/4" spring spacer in front to bring the front back to level after adding the bumper and winch. Took about 2 hrs since I also rotated my tires while I was down there :)

The Rugged Ridge part # 18360.04 is for the JK but works fine for the JL too.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GT8AJPW
IMG_0387.JPG

You must cut off the two rubber orientation prongs on the OEM spring isolators. You need to mark on your bump stop & the spring isolator so you keep it in the same spot when you add the spacers since the isolator is a bit thicker on one end.

Here's a pick of before & after~
IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG
Is this something the average shade tree mech can do, or does it require some special tools and skills?

It looks good. How does it ride?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Is this something the average shade tree mech can do, or does it require some special tools and skills?

It looks good. How does it ride?
It's not too bad, check my thread here for the spring install, and adding the spacers when you're doing the springs only takes a few minutes longer. If you have to add the spacers later it's the same as doing the front spring swap, just have to add the spacers to the top of the rubber isolator.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
For anyone else doing a bumper winch install, I would suggest measuring everything. (length, width, height, & depth of the winch, and then the same for the winch opening. visualize how you would maneuver the winch in to the mount location.) IF you have enough room, definitely install the bumper first, as it means less weight you have to deal with when installing each piece. With my rock hard front bumper the winch opening was REALLY tight, but I was able to simply loosen all of the bumper mounting bolts to allow it to tilt forward a little. This game me the room to install the winch.

If you use this method, don't forget to tighten all of the bumper mounting bolts to torque:)

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Regarding lights, I've been really happy with my Auxbeam LEDs.
7" Round LED

At $144 a pair, they're hard to beat. They put out a combination driving/flood pattern, and put out a lot of illumination. I've had the bumper lights (to which I applied yellow film) for about 18 months and the a-pillar lights for about a year now, and they've performed flawlessly. The front lights have been partially submerged (water was a bit deeper than I thought :^), and remained watertight.

The KC light bar is great too, but honestly the Auxbeams put out just as much if not more light. I've also had Auxbeam lightbars on my ATVs for a few years, and they've performed flawlessly as well.
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for Front Bumper Install Advice. 200718 Jeep front
Sponsored