Sponsored

Looking for dirt in New England

WES IV

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S 2 dr with hardtop. Firecracker Red.
Occupation
Going over the hills and far away
Will be getting my first Jeep, it's being built, this summer and I'm looking forward to driving it off road.
Where in New England are there places to go?
Can anyone recommend clubs to belong to?
I'm getting a Wrangler Sport S and modifying it later so the tires are stock.
Thanks
Sponsored

Kheroux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JLU Rubicon

This was about 3 years ago when I had my TJ. Not sure how Nepaug is holding up now but there were a few legal ā€œdirt roadsā€ used to get to hunting trails that were pretty damn good for CT and definitely a first time off roader. Iā€™m thinking about taking a trip back now that I have the JL so if I do Iā€™ll let you know how it is!

OP
OP
WES IV

WES IV

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S 2 dr with hardtop. Firecracker Red.
Occupation
Going over the hills and far away

This was about 3 years ago when I had my TJ. Not sure how Nepaug is holding up now but there were a few legal ā€œdirt roadsā€ used to get to hunting trails that were pretty damn good for CT and definitely a first time off roader. Iā€™m thinking about taking a trip back now that I have the JL so if I do Iā€™ll let you know how it is!
Thanks!

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR

Nepaug is right around the corner from me (about 15 minutes). Where do these roads start and how did you know they were legal?

Sponsored

Kheroux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JLU Rubicon
Nepaug is right around the corner from me (about 15 minutes). Where do these roads start and how did you know they were legal?
The roads that are legal are all of the roads through the actual state park. Some are actually pretty bumpy and off-roadish (especially for Connecticut) the ones that arenā€™t are the thinner branch off trails from what I was told by a local guy I ran into on the main roads. Definitely worth a look though if youā€™re right around the corner! Take a video and let us know how it is. Iā€™ve been meaning to make a trip out there so if itā€™s still awesome let me know and maybe we can do a little JL forum meetup?

JLBeast

First Name
Dozi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S
The roads that are legal are all of the roads through the actual state park. Some are actually pretty bumpy and off-roadish (especially for Connecticut) the ones that arenā€™t are the thinner branch off trails from what I was told by a local guy I ran into on the main roads. Definitely worth a look though if youā€™re right around the corner! Take a video and let us know how it is. Iā€™ve been meaning to make a trip out there so if itā€™s still awesome let me know and maybe we can do a little JL forum meetup?
I'd be interested in taking a trip down there as well. Let us know.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
I'd be interested in taking a trip down there as well. Let us know.

I also live close to Nepaug and go by there 5 days a week. The access roads are all gated, I don't believe there's any way to get into the state park; legally.

Kheroux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JLU Rubicon
I also live close to Nepaug and go by there 5 days a week. The access roads are all gated, I don't believe there's any way to get into the state park; legally.
Damn, that sucks that they stopped allowing people in by vehicle then. When we used to go in we went in on the road with this like landscaping store on the corner and then just followed that to the end until it became a dirt road. As far as I can tell on google maps, this is where we used to be able to go in:

upload_2019-7-31_20-27-43.png

Kheroux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JLU Rubicon
Another place that I found a little dirt in CT is a place on AllTrail called Mukluk Old Road Loop.

I posted more info in my build journal page but it was definitely a cool place and worth a visit if you're near the eastern side of the state.

Sponsored

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
Back when i lived in MA like 8 years ago there was a local NH group that would give you access to a map with all the know trails in the area but you had to go on a wheel trip with the group first so they know you tread lightly and respect the trails. i think this is them but dont hold me to it

https://exploringnh.com/home/

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
Back when i lived in MA like 8 years ago there was a local NH group that would give you access to a map with all the know trails in the area but you had to go on a wheel trip with the group first so they know you tread lightly and respect the trails. i think this is them but dont hold me to it

https://exploringnh.com/home/
My brother had gone on a number of trips with them back when he lived in New Hampshire, including their "Pan NH" trip. They are a good group. I rode along in my brother's Defender for a half day trip with them back a couple of falls ago and it was great. As soon as I get my Jeep I intend to start hitting some train rides with them.

MyJlU

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Sport
Occupation
Sr Product Line Researcher
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone interested in a stock friendly 1/2 day trip on some roads in RI and CT? Iā€™m willing to show you some legal spots that are not very difficult but are fun.

zscooby

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU white Rubicon, 2019 BMW R1250GSA 2019 Honda Talon 1000x
Anyone interested in a stock friendly 1/2 day trip on some roads in RI and CT? Iā€™m willing to show you some legal spots that are not very difficult but are fun.
i would love to

Kheroux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JLU Rubicon
Count me in! Would we need a beach pass or anything for the RI stuff?
Sponsored