Sponsored

Looking for Boot for Soft Top

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
I wasn’t aware of any potential issue with the top being down of a potential hole in the top. Where can I read up about this??? I’ve had it this way on and off now for the past 1.5 years with no issues. I use a Velcro strap sometimes... where/what does this rubbing occur???
Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I wasn’t aware of any potential issue with the top being down of a potential hole in the top. Where can I read up about this??? I’ve had it this way on and off now for the past 1.5 years with no issues. I use a Velcro strap sometimes... where/what does this rubbing occur???
I wouldn't worry about it. I'm in the same boat - 1.5 years with soft top, raised and lowered dozens and dozens of times. Top has been lowered for consecutive days and days at numerous times and I don't have any signs of wear and certainly no signs of holes lol

It's the internet, take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I wouldn't worry about it. I'm in the same boat - 1.5 years with soft top, raised and lowered dozens and dozens of times. Top has been lowered for consecutive days and days at numerous times and I don't have any signs of wear and certainly no signs of holes lol

It's the internet, take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt.
There are numerous post with pictures on this forum alone showing wear and holes in the tops from being in the down position both from pinching and resting on something (like an cargo enclosure). When you have a cargo security enclosure (like the slipstream or other) that is a game changer. Also keep in mind top down wear on road vs off road will be different especially if you are unable to lock the top down otherwise it will bounce off road causing additional wear. . I originally had 1/2" neoprene pads for my top to rest on in the down position in less than a mouth the top wore through those pads now I have 1" pads still sowing wear however the top is not puncturing yet. The issue is the corners which are 2"-3" lower than the rest of the top in the down position so if resting on anything the entire weight on the top is on those two corners. It is a definite wear point. Again I am referring to wear with a security enclosure.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
That needs to be made clear, then. You have people like that other dude freaking out about holes appearing in his soft top (lol). I would wager a majority of people do NOT have security enclosures.

All soft tops will wear over time, but this is just ridiculous. I think I need to take a break from this place. People posting stuff like "OMG I GOT A SLIGHT SCRATCH ON MY DOOR TODAY WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!? DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF ANY MOPAR SCRATCH FIXES FOR AROUND 1,000 DOLLARS?!?!"

<sigh>

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
That needs to be made clear, then. You have people like that other dude freaking out about holes appearing in his soft top (lol). I would wager a majority of people do NOT have security enclosures.

All soft tops will wear over time, but this is just ridiculous. I think I need to take a break from this place. People posting stuff like "OMG I GOT A SLIGHT SCRATCH ON MY DOOR TODAY WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!? DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF ANY MOPAR SCRATCH FIXES FOR AROUND 1,000 DOLLARS?!?!"

<sigh>
Lol. Thanks for thinking of me :). But to be fair, wasn’t freaking out - just wanted to read up about this alleged topic. But yes, if it’s wear due to people with an enclosure in their trunks (I don’t have one), then that’s different. Mopar didn’t intend for that foreign piece to be there. Are there instances of this alleged “soft top wear” from people with just having their tops down in an open trunk??? Heck I don’t even use the trunk for storing much if at all.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Lol. Thanks for thinking of me :). But to be fair, wasn’t freaking out - just wanted to read up about this alleged topic. But yes, if it’s wear due to people with an enclosure in their trunks (I don’t have one), then that’s different. Mopar didn’t intend for that foreign piece to be there. Are there instances of this alleged “soft top wear” from people with just having their tops down in an open trunk??? Heck I don’t even use the trunk for storing much if at all.

It is not alleged, just do a simple search on the forums, there are many pictures and reports of soft top wear as well as pinching, for example where the top rest on the tailgate many have holes worn through from that contact point alone (again with picture and proof) countless pinching holes on the soft tops are also pictured. There were several threads from last summer/fall with documentation of excessive wear (with no security enclosures).

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
Yeah, this is a real issue. I have the Backbone enclosure (which I love) and I got the Jtops boot cover. The boot is very well made, but doesn't cover the entire top, leaving the rear corner open to get coated in dust from the trail, or wear from sitting on the rear metal security cover. I am modifying my backbone rear section to allow the top to drop into the "well" of the back to increase rear visibility (with a slipstream/backbone the top sits much higher, just at or above the 3rd brake light, reducing visibility. I am also making my own boot that will cover the entire top. Just waiting on materials to arrive and will post when complete. @JTopsUSA , not sure why you didn't cover the entire top!

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I like the look of the Smittybuilt one for the JK. Has anyone tried to see if it will fit a JL (I doubt it otherwise Smittybuilt would’ve probably just advertised it as fitting a JL too). Has anyone reached out to Smittybuilt to see if a JL model is coming?

I have a friend in the automotive upholstery business and was thinking about asking him to make me something...then I Googled it lol

Last edited:

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
If anyone has a place that does boat canvas near by, I'm sure they could easily make one up for you.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
For those who have tried the JTops one, would the lack of corner coverage be an issue if you don’t have a cargo cover?

Sponsored

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Here’s a pic of my JTops. Although pricey it seems durable and great warranty. Definitely keeps the top nice and tight when driving highway speeds.

746414F4-6809-430A-8571-C3C949F33F28.jpeg

7F31CC65-8533-4814-B2E7-39340E744808.jpeg

A848519D-7084-4A90-9441-A95046FF9AA1.jpeg

807E0C13-34EF-4C28-A501-D326BF9591C1.jpeg

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
That one seems to be a step in the wrong direction. It only compresses the middle of the top, so not a true boot. And if you use it with the diabolic rear cover it will allow wear on the corners of the soft top. The boot is supposed to protect the top and give a cleaner smooth look. You could do the same thing as the diabolical wrap does with 2-3 velcro straps from amazon ($6). That's what I use when in a hurry and don't use the boot. (I still haven't found the time to rework that jtops boot so it covers the whole top, and my aluminum welder friend can't seem to find the time to rework my rear cover so it allows the top to recess as it is designed to do. -- someday)

rbatt

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
On the new JLUs you can also drop the front guides for more of a streamlined look. I’ve never seen anyone on the road do that though. Every top-down JLU I’ve seen this summer has front rails still in the track. Any issues driving highway speed with them either in or out?

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
On the new JLUs you can also drop the front guides for more of a streamlined look. I’ve never seen anyone on the road do that though. Every top-down JLU I’ve seen this summer has front rails still in the track. Any issues driving highway speed with them either in or out?

That is a non starter, with the Diabolical being raised to remove and install the soft top you need to force it in and contort to get in the channels. I do it once a year and that is enough for me.
Sponsored