Looking for better & safer lug nuts

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Now got me curious enough to check the seats on my Hostile wheels and will plan my lug nuts accordingly!
Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Got the 22mm socket today, and BINGO, it fits well inside my wheel lug bores w/ a couple mm to spare, so the first part of the puzzle fits, and the lug nuts should be exactly what I was wanting, should be here Friday :)

gpurp

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent! Post pics when you get them installed.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ok, first off, the OD of the 22mm 6pt socket is right at 30mm, so if your aftermarket wheel lug bores are in the 31mm or larger OD you're good to go! If you can find a 12pt 22mm socket that may allow you a bit more room but YMMV, and 12pts tend to round off lug nuts so buyer beware there,
The actual diameter of the lug nut seat is 26.8mm (so quite a bit larger than the largest McGard splines, and MUCH larger than the standard 22mm OD on the standard spline nuts). Also these would be great for all of you that have factory wheels but want them in a black finish :)
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for better & safer lug nuts IMG_0318.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for better & safer lug nuts IMG_0322.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for better & safer lug nuts IMG_0323.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for better & safer lug nuts IMG_0329.JPG

Pics of wimpy 22mm splines~
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for better & safer lug nuts IMG_0321.JPG

Pics of new 26.8mm hex lug nuts~

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for better & safer lug nuts IMG_0330.JPG

22mm closeup~
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for better & safer lug nuts IMG_0332.JPG

And the big boys~
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for better & safer lug nuts IMG_0331.JPG

Not sure about you but I KNOW what I want holding the most important Jeep parts together :)
Again parts are~
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FOIB8Y

Last edited:

Sponsored

gpurp

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, first off, the OD of the 22mm 6pt socket is right at 30mm, so if your aftermarket wheel lug bores are in the 31mm or larger OD you're good to go!

Too bad my lug bores are only 28.5mm. I'd have to find a super thin wall 22mm socket to fit that. Doubt there's such an animal and so far I haven't found one. Another option is use a 19mm bulge acorn lug nut. Grey Pneumatic provides the dimensions of all their sockets. A regular 19mm deep socket has a 28mm OD. That would fit my wheels. Or I could go with their extra thin wall 19mm socket that has a 26mm OD.

https://www.gpsocket.com/products/category.phtml/individuals_and_attachments/1_2/

Last edited:
OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Too bad my lug bores are only 28.5mm. I'd have to find a super thin wall 22mm socket to fit that. Doubt there's such an animal and so far I haven't found one. Another option is use a 19mm bulge acorn lug nut. Grey Pneumatic provides the dimensions of all their sockets. A regular 19mm deep socket has a 28mm OD. That would fit my wheels. Or I could go with their extra thin wall 19mm socket that has a 26mm OD.

https://www.gpsocket.com/products/category.phtml/individuals_and_attachments/1_2/
I doubt there's a 22mm socket that thin, the 12pt craftsman 22mm might be a bit smaller than 30mm but not at all sure how much :(
Those Mcgard spline nuts have a bit more coverage and have a 24.1mm socket size, but they are pricey :( Might be your best option though.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Thank you for this thread. I have been searching for some regular 6 point lugs that fit into my wheel bores. I personally do not want to run any kind of locking mechanism because that is one more thing to forget or break on the trail and strand you. I will have to do some measuring on my wheels and see if the same thing can work for me.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
They make 22mm thin wall sockets for tight clearances for exactly this reason.
https://www.amazon.com/ARES-70023-1...s=22mm+thin+wall+socket&qid=1587779628&sr=8-2
Yeah, I looked at those but that outer sleeve makes the clearance too tight for my application. It comes out to 33mm, the socket that I found is 3mm smaller at 30 mm.

This is taken directly from that Amazon listing

DIMENSIONS: The outside diameter of this non-marring lug nut socket is 1.3 inches. Please note that some wheels have very confined lug wells and the outer nylon sleeve may be prohibitive in accessing the lug.

Sponsored

gpurp

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Wolfpac81

First Name
Sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR M/T (ordered)
Yeah, I looked at those but that outer sleeve makes the clearance too tight for my application. It comes out to 33mm, the socket that I found is 3mm smaller at 30 mm.

This is taken directly from that Amazon listing

DIMENSIONS: The outside diameter of this non-marring lug nut socket is 1.3 inches. Please note that some wheels have very confined lug wells and the outer nylon sleeve may be prohibitive in accessing the lug.
If you slide the plastic cover off, it it a really thin wall socket. I've used it without the cover to great effect.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you slide the plastic cover off, it it a really thin wall socket. I've used it without the cover to great effect.
Sheldon, it you get some time would you mind measuring the OD w/ that cover off, would be a nice to know as that would be a good choice for sure!

Wolfpac81

First Name
Sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR M/T (ordered)
Sheldon, it you get some time would you mind measuring the OD w/ that cover off, would be a nice to know as that would be a good choice for sure!
I'll check it tomorrow.

Wolfpac81

First Name
Sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR M/T (ordered)
I measured the 22mm wheel nut socket with the plastic cover removed. It is 1in and 5/32 (just a hair under 1in 3/16) it was the exact same diameter as my 12 point deep 22mm Craftsman socket if that helps. So if a 12 point 22mm fits but want a 6 point option it would fit the bill.
Sponsored