Looking for an unfinished stainless bumper

ScubaSigGuy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JlUR, 2018 Raptor, 2018 GT350R, 2015 BMW 1200GS Adventure
I've looked at everything I can find, and just can't seem to find what I am looking for. I had Fab Four bumpers on my Jk and loved them, but I'm tired of black everything. I have a new silver JLUR, and I want to find a front winch bumper that is silver, preferably unfinished stainless or steel with maybe just a clear coat on it. I would like to keep the factory fogs, but I could be talked into an upgrade, if it's round. I know... I just think the front fogs and accessory lighting looks better if it's round like the headlights.

Has anyone seen anything that fits the bill? I'm open to a stubby, or mid length if the winch doesn't block the radiator too much.

I am doing red beadlock wheels for a little color pop, and I don't want to go quite monochromatic on the bumpers, so color matching them isn't an option I like.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Andy-jr.

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 White JKU, 2012 Black JK 2018 White Grand Cherokee, 2001 TJ, 2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
I've looked at everything I can find, and just can't seem to find what I am looking for. I had Fab Four bumpers on my Jk and loved them, but I'm tired of black everything. I have a new silver JLUR, and I want to find a front winch bumper that is silver, preferably unfinished stainless with maybe just a clear coat on it. I would like to keep the factory fogs, but I could be talked into an upgrade, if it's round. I know... I just think the front fogs and accessory lighting looks better if it's round like the headlights.

Has anyone seen anything that fits the bill? I'm open to a stubby, or mid length if the winch doesn't block the radiator too much.

I am doing red beadlock wheels for a little color pop, and I don't want to go quite monochromatic on the bumpers, so color matching them isn't an option I like.
The prob with that is you cant just paint unfinished steel.

Needs to be either sandblasted or sanded for proper paint adhesion and/or powder coat. As well as needs to be primed.

Cant just take unfinished steel and paint it with a clear coat...it wont work

OP
OP

ScubaSigGuy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

ScubaSigGuy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Needs to be either sandblasted or sanded for proper paint adhesion and/or powder coat. As well as needs to be primed.

I'm aware of that, and I'm fine with it.

Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
I'm aware of that, and I'm fine with it.
But if you put primer(which is necessary) you wont see the stainless steel Lol.

Have the bumper painted a steel/aluminum color.

...or have a custom bumper made and leave it as is bare metal. But it will rust(even stainless)

....hit up @Sean K. he may be able to help you on that

OP
OP

ScubaSigGuy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was thinking about having a clear anodizing applied. How does the ceramic coat compare? is it baked on?

Sponsored

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid

Well, you can...but if you're rattle canning it...you're going to be doing it fairly often....once, maybe twice a year, provided you degrease it pretty good first.

Now...that's here in AZ; where we don't have much humidity to deal with. Didn't look to see where you're at nor do I pretend to know how well clear coat will hold up there. I've done it here and it works, but the sun here will eat it up unless you reapply at least once a year.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Well, you can...but if you're rattle canning it...you're going to be doing it fairly often....once, maybe twice a year, provided you degrease it pretty good first.

Now...that's here in AZ; where we don't have much humidity to deal with. Didn't look to see where you're at nor do I pretend to know how well clear coat will hold up there. I've done it here and it works, but the sun here will eat it up unless you reapply at least once a year.
I fully agree.

However, my main point was if you clear coat bare stainless you will essentially seal it and prevent chromium oxide from forming which gives it its rust "proofness".

And to your point, removing all of the oils from the metal will be almost impossible which is why primer is so important.

Yes, you can just spray it sure...but it wont sustain for any length of time.

If the guy has $$ I suggest contacting Performance Titanium Group and order some raw stock. Good luck welding though.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
For companies, motobilt for use with factory fogs and cavfab if you’re ok without the fogs. As for finishing it, if you don’t mess with painting and coatings, could take it to a body shop for prep and clear coat if that’s the look you’re wanting.

Brett

OP
OP

ScubaSigGuy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some great suggestions here. I'm just tired of the all black look, and the fact that I had to do many touch ups on my Fab Four bumpers.

Titanium isn't a good option for several reasons, but mostly the fabrication problems.

Who is the go to for custom bumper design and fabrication? I'm not looking for something really simple and plain, so it's going to take a little more skill than the average backyard welder.
Sponsored