Sponsored

Looking for an inverter

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Does anybody here have an inverter that they'd recommend? I go camping A TON and having a hard-wired inverter is always convenient if you need a little juice.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AlgUSF

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Google "inverter JLWranglerforum".

Few threads on it.
I did, they're all two year old threads.
From the GOOG:
Power inverter, max (safe) size for stock JLUR electrical system?​
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com › forum › threads​
Sep 10, 2019 — I'm looking to buy a power inverter and looking for advice on the maximum wattage that my JLUR's stock electrical system can safely power.​
Built in inverter/AC plug | Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU)​
May 1, 2018
Power inverter | Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU)​
Aug 16, 2018
Who has installed an inverter? - JL Wrangler Forum​
Sep 11, 2019
In-built Inverter? | Page 2 - JL Wrangler Forum​
Jul 7, 2019

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

My Jeep has a full plug in the back seat - it stays lit for ~an hour after I turn the Jeep off. Couldn't find a way to keep it powered indefinitely (or to a switch) so I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F13X9SN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's small, stores easily in the cargo tray, and can connect to the 12v in a pinch, or clamps to the battery if I want more/longer power.

I think it's going to come down to what, exactly, you're wanting to power with it.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
My Jeep has a full plug in the back seat - it stays lit for ~an hour after I turn the Jeep off. Couldn't find a way to keep it powered indefinitely (or to a switch) so I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F13X9SN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's small, stores easily in the cargo tray, and can connect to the 12v in a pinch, or clamps to the battery if I want more/longer power.

I think it's going to come down to what, exactly, you're wanting to power with it.
You're talking about the rear 12v? You can swap the fuse location to get always on.
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for an inverter 1638193040909

EDIT: Just realized you were talking about the console inverter. IIRC, inverters burn power even when nothing is plugged into them, so always on would kill the battery on its own.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I know everybody hates Walmart, but returns are easy. I found that they had a 1kW and a 1.5kW unit back in automotive where the batteries and tires are. I have a 4xe so I was looking for a larger capacity.

OP
OP
AlgUSF

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess my question was a little vague. I'm looking for more than the 150W that the factory plug puts out (even though my Sport isn't equipped). I'd like to be able to fire up a blender for margaritas or blow up some air mattresses with a 120v pump, etc. I'd end up wiring it to the cargo area somewhere.

I'm not looking to watch a football game on TV or power a fridge, but just run a few 120VAC items for a bit of creature comfort for a short duration.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I guess my question was a little vague. I'm looking for more than the 150W that the factory plug puts out (even though my Sport isn't equipped). I'd like to be able to fire up a blender for margaritas or blow up some air mattresses with a 120v pump, etc. I'd end up wiring it to the cargo area somewhere.

I'm not looking to watch a football game on TV or power a fridge, but just run a few 120VAC items for a bit of creature comfort for a short duration.
You're going to have a hard time with the blender, they're high watt appliances and a 12v blender isn't strong enough for margaritas. You'll need a 1500w inverter. Don't even think about tapping into any of the JL's wiring for that, you'll have to add your own 4 AWG wires to the battery.

I know margaritas are great and all, but are they THAT great?

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I personally would go with a solar generator instead.

Sponsored

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Does anybody here have an inverter that they'd recommend? I go camping A TON and having a hard-wired inverter is always convenient if you need a little juice.
One of the things I learned, trying to educate myself about invertors, is that you need a unit with a max rating double whatever you plan to run...I.e. blender for margies. (somewhere I saw a list of popular items and how much power they require, sorry I didn't save). The reason for the double is that the invertor has to be able to handle the start up "SPIKE" before it settles into the rated wattage needed, make sense?

OP
OP
AlgUSF

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One of the things I learned, trying to educate myself about invertors, is that you need a unit with a max rating double whatever you plan to run...I.e. blender for margies. (somewhere I saw a list of popular items and how much power they require, sorry I didn't save). The reason for the double is that the invertor has to be able to handle the start up "SPIKE" before it settles into the rated wattage needed, make sense?
Yeah, every single phase motor has an inrush current from the starting windings, it takes a very momentary rush of current to get the motor spinning.