Sponsored

Looking for advice 3.6 vs 3.0 ED

Twist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR
I am thinking of canceling a Xtream Recon order and switching to an ecodiesel. The jeep will see a lot of highway miles, and will be mostly used to travel around the country hitting different parks and wheeling. It would be loaded with a family of 4 and a fair bit of camping gear (no RRT).

Stage 1:
  • ~2" lift
  • fender trim
  • 37s
  • Skids
  • bumpers
  • winch
Stage 2 (~3 years from now):
  • 3.5" - 4.5" long arm lift
  • tons
  • 40s
Originally I was thinking the 3.6 is a more proven engine that should not have any trouble making it to 200,000 miles. With the added weight from stage 2 running gear will make the Ecodiesel a better platform? Anyone with high mile Ecodiesel's having any issues? Am I overthinking this and a 3.6 platform is fine for my plans?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Isnā€™t asking someone with an EcoDiesel that made it 200,000 miles to raise their hands, a bit like asking a chain-smoker that made it to 100 to raise their hands...?

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
I just had to add my two cents-3.6 is proven- I went with a 2.0t 4cyl and was surprised and it is proven as well. Read every article about that ecodiesel and the DEF as well-just know that DEF has to be added every 2000-2500 miles as opposed to the 10k that jeep says, so would it really be a savings in the first four years of ownership? I have a friend that had his for six months and no longer has it-not for everyone.

dr.dirty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ecodiesel Sport
I love my Eco and wouldn't trade it for the world. Diesels are not for everyone and the 3.0 is no different. It is very expensive to service and you need to be a stickler with regular services. Adding DEF is annoying but not a deal breaker i have to add about 2.5 gallons every 3500 miles. You wont find many folks with a ton of miles on the gen 3 ECO just yet. I have 13k on mine but like anything else its a machine and some have issues some don't.

OP
OP
Twist

Twist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR
I just had to add my two cents-3.6 is proven- I went with a 2.0t 4cyl and was surprised and it is proven as well. Read every article about that ecodiesel and the DEF as well-just know that DEF has to be added every 2000-2500 miles as opposed to the 10k that jeep says, so would it really be a savings in the first four years of ownership? I have a friend that had his for six months and no longer has it-not for everyone.

My big questions are:
1) can the v6 reliably handle the configuration I'm planning to run
2) Can the Ecodiesel reliably make it to 150k or more

DEF and higher routine maintained costs are something I'm willing to deal with if the answers to number 1) is "no", and number 2) is "yes".

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, didnā€™t Brad at Trail Recon just dumped his heavily modified EcoDiesel?

I donā€™t watch his channel, but that must say something.

Of course he has ditched a dozen other things... šŸ˜«

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
My big questions are:
1) can the v6 reliably handle the configuration I'm planning to run
2) Can the Ecodiesel reliably make it to 150k or more

DEF and higher routine maintained costs are something I'm willing to deal with if the answers to number 1) is "no", and number 2) is "yes".
Definetly yes to question (1) can't answer question (2) maybe someone else can-sorry.

OP
OP
Twist

Twist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR
A Hemi Trailhawk would be better for family roadtrips to trail destinations. The Wrangler can't haul for shit.
Trailhawk won't get to the places I want to go, and the things I want to do. Sure its better on the highway.

Have also owned 4 other wranglers, starting with a 89 yj that I bought for $1,800 at 16. Sold my last TJ when I had kids... now they are old enough to enjoy the trails with me, I'm going to get a 4door and go have some fun.

W4V3

First Name
Freedom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The jeep will see a lot of highway miles, and will be mostly used to travel around the country hitting different parks and wheeling.
I'm willing to bet if this is your travel vehicle, it will see 90% or more city/highway miles. IMO, you would be slinging a lot of rubber with 37's and 40's and spending more on fuel than with wheeling.

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
One more thing I failed to mention is the regearing process will have to take place and that speedo will have to be recalibrated for anything over 37's.

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I test drove an AEV 3.6 with the same ratio 4.56 gears as an XR, their own lift, and 37ā€s. The engine sounds really GOOD with the snorkel and the whole package handled beautifully. But it was also showing an average of 13.5 mpg. Granted, the sales rep probably drove it like he stole it, but that mileage is too low for my liking.

I ordered a diesel and during the unbearable wait I kept reading about problems with them. I got so spooked when the dealer said they had a black XR 3.6 coming that somebody backed out of, I was seriously considering it. I didnā€™t though, and so far am really happy I stayed with the diesel.

The diesel gets 20-23 mpg on freeway (depending on speed) with a 2.5ā€ lift and 35ā€s, and no shortage of power. Torque is impressive and I donā€™t notice any turbo lag.

Goofing around, my wife and I ā€œracedā€ from a stop sign. Hers is the 2.0T, they ran neck into neck the whole time until we let off. Side note: guessing the ECU is torque limiting us both, I feel like she should have walked away from me. For comparison sheā€™s usually sitting at 17.8 mpg.

I suspect the heavier engine and stiffer springs that it requires helps the mild camber we all have, do what itā€™s supposed to do. It also yields a better handling vehicle overall. The 2.0 doesnā€™t handle badly, just not as good.

Yes, the DEF usage is excessive, Iā€™m also getting about 2500-3000 miles per jug (I top off around 1/2 way mark, done it twice now). But that isnā€™t a deal breaker for me. I havenā€™t hit 5000 miles yet though so can only hope it holds together. Look around the board though, all you see is people having problems, regardless of engine.

OP
OP
Twist

Twist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR
I'm willing to bet if this is your travel vehicle, it will see 90% or more city/highway miles. IMO, you would be slinging a lot of rubber with 37's and 40's and spending more on fuel than with wheeling.
Yeah, I agree. It's an expense I'm willing to make. I always preferred to drive my rigs to the trails rather than tow them.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
FWIW, didnā€™t Brad at Trail Recon just dumped his heavily modified EcoDiesel?

I donā€™t watch his channel, but that must say something.

Of course he has ditched a dozen other things... šŸ˜«
I wouldn't use him to justify anything as often as he changes his direction. He modified only some aspects (lift, tires, performance) but nothing in terms of cooling to account for the added weight.

Anyone buying a diesel should understand it comes with a few more costs (DEF, fuel filters) but they're negligible. I'd do a comparison between the 3 engine platforms OP, each have their pluses and minuses. I personally like the 2.0t and the 3.0, ultimately decided on the 3.0. If you plan to do a lot of long road trips, the diesel may be your better bet.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
another thing to consider is that even if you get a Willys, when you order the EcoDiesel it gets upgraded to a Dana 44 front axle instead of the 35.

had one issue with my Diesel when i first got it, but after putting about 10K in on it i'm pretty happy with the way it performs. even turning 35/12/5 Micky MTs on a 3.5" lift i typically see MPG in the low 20s, and having a range of 350+ miles on a tank is nice.

DEF? i don't get what the big deal is. it doesn't cost that much, and there's a gauge for it just like there is for the fuel. it seems like it's using DEF less now than when i first got it, and i've only put DEF in it 3 times (never filled it).

OP: drive them both, then make your decision. i won't be surprised if you go with the Diesel.

nsfw_andy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLUR Ecodiesel
I've only test driven the 3.6 and 2.0, but I ended up ordering the diesel in the end after all the positive reviews of the torque and better mpg when throwing on bigger tires compared to the gas models.

Also, with it coming with a 5yr/100k warranty standard, I figured why the hell not.
Sponsored

Last edited: