Sponsored

Looking for a tough sounding exhaust for 2.0L (Opinions Please)

OP
OP
dshark1

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
This one is easy to answer. The only way to do that with the 2.0 is first, go get yourself any muffler that fits from Autozone, Walmart, whatever.

Next, rip the engine out of the Jeep and throw it by the curb for the trashman to get next Monday. Put in one of these, and you'll finally have the sound you desire.

1628210653889.png

Sorry it's really the only way. Everything else will sound ricey and also pop as you decelerate. You can only do so many things with a little 4 banger. Good sound is not one of them. The V6 is better sounding for sure, but everyone (me included) wishes for that magic muffler to make the thing sound like it has a pair and imitate that awesome V8 sound. I'm still waiting.
After hearing more sound clips, I have to agree with U. So im gonna swap out the engine instead! Lol ā€¦.. just gonna keep the exhaust stock & do some other mods. Iā€™ll put the cash toward a Sunriderā€¦. But thx to everyone here for all the good advice. U guys are awesome!
Sponsored

Deleted member 53226

?

Cylinder count has absolutely nothing to do with this.
Correct, basically. Certain engines, like inline verse V, can be more apt than others, but it actually has a lot to do with how the exhaust gases are routed and the timing of the exhaust valves, etc. But the various resonators and other exhaust routing gimmicks they use in noisy aftermarket mufflers to make the car "sound better" cause all kinds of havoc and you will find much more decel pop than stock. Re-programming the computer can help with this, but its mainly a function of the aftermarket exhaust.

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Correct, basically. Certain engines, like inline verse V, can be more apt than others, but it actually has a lot to do with how the exhaust gases are routed and the timing of the exhaust valves, etc. But the various resonators and other exhaust routing gimmicks they use in noisy aftermarket mufflers to make the car "sound better" cause all kinds of havoc and you will find much more decel pop than stock. Re-programming the computer can help with this, but its mainly a function of the aftermarket exhaust.
So, do all the aftermarket exhausts pop during deceleration? With our 2.0

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Right on buddy, sounds like you have it covered. Do you mind if I re-use a couple of your pics in a thread I'm starting to warn people of possible interference issues if they have a trackbar relo bracket?
I saw this back and forth between you guys earlier, and am just getting started with a front and rear Antirock install, so I grabbed a couple of pics that may or may not help for reference. I have the Borla Touring Climber cat-back, now synergy rear track bar (soon to be Metalcloak), Synergy track bar relocation, and about to be gone factory sway bar with 3/4" Metalcloak spacers (would still clear the exhaust without the spacers). I'll keep the forum open, so I can take different pics before I button it up.
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for a tough sounding exhaust for 2.0L (Opinions Please) 20210815_122700

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for a tough sounding exhaust for 2.0L (Opinions Please) 20210815_122722
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for a tough sounding exhaust for 2.0L (Opinions Please) 20210815_122819

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I saw this back and forth between you guys earlier, and am just getting started with a front and rear Antirock install, so I grabbed a couple of pics that may or may not help for reference. I have the Borla Touring Climber cat-back, now synergy rear track bar (soon to be Metalcloak), Synergy track bar relocation, and about to be gone factory sway bar with 3/4" Metalcloak spacers (would still clear the exhaust without the spacers). I'll keep the forum open, so I can take different pics before I button it up.
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for a tough sounding exhaust for 2.0L (Opinions Please) 20210815_122819

Much better routing on that exhaust IMO Mike. I've been thinking about the Antirock myself, running the sway bar through the frame crossover would pretty much eliminate my problem. I've just gotta get my coilovers installed first and make sure I have the clearances I need for the rear antirock, I seem to remember some people having fitment problems in the rear with certain setups, and I can't remember what the exact fitment issue was. Thank for the pics bud!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Much better routing on that exhaust IMO Mike. I've been thinking about the Antirock myself, running the sway bar through the frame crossover would pretty much eliminate my problem. I've just gotta get my coilovers installed first and make sure I have the clearances I need for the rear antirock, I seem to remember some people having fitment problems in the rear with certain setups, and I can't remember what the exact fitment issue was. Thank for the pics bud!
Having a very well balanced front and rear sway system, that didn't require disconnecting or even hitting and waiting for the button to light steady, was my main motivation. Also, my 3.5" Gamechanger flexes so much that the factory rear bar was contacting the underside of the frame right before full wheel stuff. And the shorter of the available 2 flavors of Rock Krawler No Limits links didn't extend far enough to allow full droop without threatening to cam over.

The only rear Antirock fitment issues I can recall, or confirm now that they're on, is having anything more than 4.5" of backspace. Having more would cause the tire to hit the upper heim joint when stuffed. Also, the upper heim stud is a couple threads too long and I'll have to grind them down to clear my AAL fender liners.
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for a tough sounding exhaust for 2.0L (Opinions Please) 20210816_140413

Deleted member 43521

I have searched and listened to countless options of four cylinder exhaust setups. And I decided to go a different route. I removed the factory JLU muffler. I installed the muffler delete pipe. Sounds ok except for warmup (way to riced) for me. So I decided to try something different. I bought a short resonator and welded into the muffler delete. I painted it high temp black ( B/C I donā€™t like shiny) and installed it. BEST sound I could hope for out of a four cyclinder. I know you wonā€™t get a V8 sound BUT I wanted something nice and NOT raspy.

28F243D7-BBC3-4B4D-9EB9-E4AA018A15E7.jpeg

Deleted member 43521

Sound clip. Remember (as I did) sound from phone isnā€™t as clear. I added two clips. First one is a hot start( after warm up) and second is directly next to tip

Attachments

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone tried a 3" exhaust on the 2.0 with a muffler?

AFE makes a cat-back and axle-back. I'm interested in a better sound, but still want it to be on the quieter side. https://afepower.com/afe-power-49-4...3-409-stainless-steel-cat-back-exhaust-system

I've been very pleased with the Borla Touring Climber cat-back. It has a nice bass tone without sounding loud and obnoxious, and produces zero drone and any speed or rpm. Also, it improves ground clearance and sheds some weight compared to stock.

bdb5430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
I've been very pleased with the Borla Touring Climber cat-back. It has a nice bass tone without sounding loud and obnoxious, and produces zero drone and any speed or rpm. Also, it improves ground clearance and sheds some weight compared to stock.
100% agree. In my opinion itā€™s perfect for this engine.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Sound clip. Remember (as I did) sound from phone isnā€™t as clear. I added two clips. First one is a hot start( after warm up) and second is directly next to tip
That does sound good. Takes the edge off the delete pipe. Do you have a link or part number or brand etc to that resonator?

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I think the best exhaust solution is a custom-formed and welded option that allows you to tuck and route the pipe to accommodates your mods and maximizes ground clearance.

I took my Jeep down to a well respected custom muffler shop. It took the shop less than 30 minutes to bend up a section of pipe that perfectly tucked into the contours of the available space. Then the guy had me come out to the shop and listen to the sounds of a few different cans that wouldn't adversely effect performance. I picked the can I liked best, he welded it it up, and I was on the road fifteen minutes later. Total time at the shop was less than an hour. Now I have a rattle-free, leak-free, exhaust that bought me significant extra clearance.

I have the six. Like the 2.0, thereā€™s no way to make that motor sound ā€œcoolā€, and making it louder to attract attention just seems silly to me. (How do you guys react to the goofy little Honda Civics that whine by making loud angry bee sounds? Doesnā€™t your ā€œdouche alarmā€œ go off?) My exhaust sound is close to stock ā€” but one of the great things about the custom solution, which costs about the same, is you can hear several options on your Jeep before you decide.
Sponsored