Sponsored

Looking for a tough sounding exhaust for 2.0L (Opinions Please)

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Probably not what you want to hear, but I'm not sure its possible. Also I think this also depends on your experience with exhausts in the past. I have been DD'ing Ram cummins trucks with 5" exhausts for the last 16 or so years. I have also had a few straight piped v8's as well, and TJ's with exhausts. I mention this because if you have had "tough" sounding vehicles in the past, no matter what you do you prob will be wanting for more even after an exhaust on the 2.0. The good news is, it WILL sound better than stock though.

My 18 with the magnaflow did not sound tough. It sounded better than stock, but the mod was more done for looks.
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Here ya go Jim......let me know if these don't show what you were looking for.

IMG_1141.jpeg

IMG_1142.jpeg

IMG_1144.jpeg

IMG_1145.jpeg

IMG_1148.jpeg
Thank you very much for those, it looks like with my trackbar relocation bracket you'd be in about the same predicament. I don't think they factored lifted Jeeps with trackbar relocation brackets when they engineered this thing. I actually can't blame them for building and testing based on what they have, its impossible for them to account for every Jeep setup. Now I know I need to warn owners who have either engine option that they are going to have issues if they have a raised track bar. I let AWE know about this about a month ago and sent a bunch of pictures at their request, but it's been radio silence ever since. Thank again so much for taking the time to get these pics!

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Here ya go Jim......let me know if these don't show what you were looking for.

IMG_1141.jpeg

IMG_1142.jpeg

IMG_1144.jpeg

IMG_1145.jpeg

IMG_1148.jpeg
Guy, I also noticed in your pics that your swaybar is at a pretty healthy downward angle, have you checked this with one wheel fully stuffed and one fully drooped (or the whole rear axle fully drooped) to make sure your swaybar can't flip under max articulation? Not my business, just something that jumped out at me.
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for a tough sounding exhaust for 2.0L (Opinions Please) IMG_1144_LI

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Guy, I also noticed in your pics that your swaybar is at a pretty healthy downward angle, have you checked this with one wheel fully stuffed and one fully drooped (or the whole rear axle fully drooped) to make sure your swaybar can't flip under max articulation? Not my business, just something that jumped out at me.
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for a tough sounding exhaust for 2.0L (Opinions Please) IMG_1144_LI
Jim, thanks for pointing that out. But it’s not as bad as that photo shows…..the sway bar flattens out just past the left edge of the pic and isn’t on a downward angle.
I’ve got the SB extensions for the RK 3.5” lift installed and I’m probably only sitting at 2.75” of lift due to all the armor.
I had this thing flexed out to the max on the Rubicon this last weekend, got the tire rub in all four of my Metalcloak inner fender wells to prove it! I’m ordering some .75” pucks to regain some lift. Probably will throw in a set of adjustable rear SB links just to be safe.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Jim, thanks for pointing that out. But it’s not as bad as that photo shows…..the sway bar flattens out just past the left edge of the pic and isn’t on a downward angle.
I’ve got the SB extensions for the RK 3.5” lift installed and I’m probably only sitting at 2.75” of lift due to all the armor.
I had this thing flexed out to the max on the Rubicon this last weekend, got the tire rub in all four of my Metalcloak inner fender wells to prove it! I’m ordering some .75” pucks to regain some lift. Probably will throw in a set of adjustable rear SB links just to be safe.
Right on buddy, sounds like you have it covered. Do you mind if I re-use a couple of your pics in a thread I'm starting to warn people of possible interference issues if they have a trackbar relo bracket?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Right on buddy, sounds like you have it covered. Do you mind if I re-use a couple of your pics in a thread I'm starting to warn people of possible interference issues if they have a trackbar relo bracket?
Not at all and good luck with getting the tailpipe sorted out with your upcoming D60 swap.

It's always nice to have a second set of experienced eyes looking at things.....sometimes the small details get overlooked! :like:

Last edited:

BenDiem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 991.2TT; 23 EVO RWD
Occupation
US Gov’t Contractor & Gym Rat
Thx for the info. I notice that u mention u have cat back. When I went on the Borla website & plugged my info in for my 2.0 2dr it only gave me axle back options. Is there a reason U chose catback vs axle back?
I beg your pardon, my bad!
I have the S-Type axle back exhaust. Love their products. Best stainless steel & lifetime warranty. Had Borla on all my Wranglers & Mustangs…
I purchased from Performance Truck Products for $591.29.
It was the lowest price I could find. The ATAK was about $20 less…
BTW, my wife loves my JL. She’s basically taken it from me, lol!
Best/B

OP
OP
dshark1

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
I beg your pardon, my bad!
I have the S-Type axle back exhaust. Love their products. Best stainless steel & lifetime warranty. Had Borla on all my Wranglers & Mustangs…
I purchased from Performance Truck Products for $591.29.
It was the lowest price I could find. The ATAK was about $20 less…
BTW, my wife loves my JL. She’s basically taken it from me, lol!
Best/B
Thank u so much…. U have been a huge help! 👍🏽

Sponsored

dos531

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 12 Gallardo Performante, 86 Porsche 930
"Good" is definitely subjective.

My point exactly. Always going to sound like a 4 cylinder. Nothing wrong with that, just dont expect it to sound great.

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR

I’ve been looking for one that has no drone, better clearance and extenuates the amount of turbo sound. I find this compilation on YouTube and like the clip at 2:15, labeled afe rebel. It definitely sounds like a turbo. I searched the part number and shows 3.6 liter. I even contacted afe and they did not respond.

Anyway, if anyone has an idea which one it is, great. Otherwise, OP,, maybe the link helps you as well.

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC
No. Nor with the V6. Save your money.
yep….got the AWE on my 3.6…. Not a “deep” sound. Well made, expensive and “tinny” at points in the rev range…. Never again for me. Your not going to get much if any performance gains aside from less weight and maybe a small bump in mpg. All subjective but if I could have heard one in real life instead of YouTube clips…I would have purchased another brand.

Deleted member 53226

This one is easy to answer. The only way to do that with the 2.0 is first, go get yourself any muffler that fits from Autozone, Walmart, whatever.

Next, rip the engine out of the Jeep and throw it by the curb for the trashman to get next Monday. Put in one of these, and you'll finally have the sound you desire.

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for a tough sounding exhaust for 2.0L (Opinions Please) 1628210653889

Sorry it's really the only way. Everything else will sound ricey and also pop as you decelerate. You can only do so many things with a little 4 banger. Good sound is not one of them. The V6 is better sounding for sure, but everyone (me included) wishes for that magic muffler to make the thing sound like it has a pair and imitate that awesome V8 sound. I'm still waiting.
Sponsored