Sponsored

Looking for a tough sounding exhaust for 2.0L (Opinions Please)

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Ok, the OP was asking about exhaust for his 4 cy. Turbo. Of course there never going to sound like a V8 or anything else for that matter.
However thinking you can't get a nice throaty, deep badass sound out of a 4 cy. is totally BS. You just need to know what you are doing. I have a 4 cylinder Turbo motorcycle with about a 2 and 1/2 foot long 2" Dia. straight pipe into a 18" megaphone style tip and it is very deep, very throaty and sounds totally badass. On top of that the sound coming from the turbocharger is totally wicked and sounds like a star wars X wing fighter.

I have literally been stopped in traffic multiple, multiple times by people who rolled their window down and asked what the Fu@$ is that thing? is sounds Fu@$ing badass!

My only issue is I don't want my Jeep as loud as my bike. If I didn't care I can make a 4 cylinder Turbo sound unbelievable wicked and like nothing else, deep, throaty and that will put a wisp from the turbo in one ear and out the other as I blow past you.
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I've been very pleased with the Borla Touring Climber cat-back. It has a nice bass tone without sounding loud and obnoxious, and produces zero drone and any speed or rpm. Also, it improves ground clearance and sheds some weight compared to stock.
Hmm... 2.75" diameter does interest me. Unfortunately it doesn't look like Borla lists compatibility for my 2-door with eTorque. The muffler appears to occupy the same area as the battery.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm... 2.75" diameter does interest me. Unfortunately it doesn't look like Borla lists compatibility for my 2-door with eTorque. The muffler appears to occupy the same area as the battery.
Shit! I completely forgot that you're missing a couple of doors.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Shit! I completely forgot that you're missing a couple of doors.
I wouldn't say I'm missing them... but it does make it tricky for aftermarket parts.

I've had fitment issues with an engine & rear differential skids that were "compatible", so I'm pretty cautious with these things. The 1-year only gas tank, stock height, and 48V battery tend to not be compatible with much.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Ok, the OP was asking about exhaust for his 4 cy. Turbo. Of course there never going to sound like a V8 or anything else for that matter...
You just need to know what you are doing. I have a 4 cylinder Turbo motorcycle with about a 2 and 1/2 foot long 2" Dia. straight pipe into a 18" megaphone style tip and it is very deep, very throaty and sounds totally badass. ..
We'll have to agree to disagree. ;)

I don't want a Jeep that sounds like a motorcycle -- even a really cool motorcycle -- and I don't believe it's possible to produce a sound I consider "deep" or "throaty" with a turbocharged 4-banger.

The 2.0 is a wonderful motor but, as far as these ears are concerned, no amount of making it louder or trying to shape the sound will produce a satisfying rumble. Many of the options will, however, make it loud and irritating.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't say I'm missing them... but it does make it tricky for aftermarket parts.

I've had fitment issues with an engine & rear differential skids that were "compatible", so I'm pretty cautious with these things. The 1-year only gas tank, stock height, and 48V battery tend to not be compatible with much.
I was just kidding about the doors. I really don't buy into that whole taking sides within the whole of Jeeps and their variations. I hope Borla does come through with a 2 door system. The muffler on mine is already partially next to the 48V battery pack, and there's definitely room to abbreviate the length of the system. Assuming the 2 doors have the same but shorter channel of space down the side of the drivers frame rail.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We'll have to agree to disagree. ;)

I don't want a Jeep that sounds like a motorcycle -- even a really cool motorcycle -- and I don't believe it's possible to produce a sound I consider "deep" or "throaty" with a turbocharged 4-banger.

The 2.0 is a wonderful motor but, as far as these ears are concerned, no amount of making it louder or trying to shape the sound will produce a satisfying rumble. Many of the options will, however, make it loud and irritating.
You really must hear a Borla Touring Climber cat-back on the 2.0 turbo engine. It does give a mild bass tone at idle and low to mid rpm's, but doesn't get louder at higher rev ranges like you'd think after hearing all those fast and furious Hondas and their obnoxious fart cans. At high idle during cold starts, the bass tone can be felt in the house when backed up the driveway, but it's not that typical ricey annoying sound while standing next to it. Once idle drops to warm normal, there's a very subtle and nice bass undertone. Plus, zero drone throughout the rev range.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I had a Borla catback on my Volkswagen Tiguan... it had the 2.0 TSI direct injection, turbo engine...

Different vehicle, but similar engine...

It was deep and throaty. It was louder in confined spaces, but it sounded good for a 4 cyl.

The engine stock sounded better than the Wrangler and I'm not sure if anything can make that sound better.

I don't plan on doing anything aftermarket on my Wrangler... maybe in a few years after I'm done with everything else, but I don't have any interest at the moment.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'll give it a listen!
I was quite pleasantly surprised in how it doesn't get louder from mid to high rpm's, like one would expect. Their other systems have larger mufflers in the factory location, whereas the Climber just has a smaller one located mid ship. Only reason why I didn't go with those other systems, was my wanting improved ground clearance over stock. This system also fixed that. It's their S-Type and Atak systems that are more fitting of Dom Toretto. 😆

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for a tough sounding exhaust for 2.0L (Opinions Please) 20210117_135607_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for a tough sounding exhaust for 2.0L (Opinions Please) 20210211_132351_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for a tough sounding exhaust for 2.0L (Opinions Please) 20210815_122700

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Here’s a shot of my exhaust. It’s no longer the low spot.

I have the Artec aluminum skid plate system in my shop, where it's been sitting for 13 months. I'm hoping the exhaust won't conflict with it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for a tough sounding exhaust for 2.0L (Opinions Please) 7218303B-A230-47F2-9269-D6576D60E0D1

scj64

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Ram 2500, ‘23 R/T, ‘23 20A 392, ‘22 FLHTK
I have searched and listened to countless options of four cylinder exhaust setups. And I decided to go a different route. I removed the factory JLU muffler. I installed the muffler delete pipe. Sounds ok except for warmup (way to riced) for me. So I decided to try something different. I bought a short resonator and welded into the muffler delete. I painted it high temp black ( B/C I don’t like shiny) and installed it. BEST sound I could hope for out of a four cyclinder. I know you won’t get a V8 sound BUT I wanted something nice and NOT raspy.

28F243D7-BBC3-4B4D-9EB9-E4AA018A15E7.jpeg
Is this a spiral resonator?

Deleted member 43521

That does sound good. Takes the edge off the delete pipe. Do you have a link or part number or brand etc to that resonator?
Yes I bought it on Amazon.
That does sound good. Takes the edge off the delete pipe. Do you have a link or part number or brand etc to that resonator?
I ordered this…

A-KARCK 2.5" Inlet Exhaust Resonator, 2.5" Inlet 2.5" Outlet 11.5" Overall Length Resonator Stainless Steel Polished

Deleted member 43521

Also i welded the resonator and painted it high heat black( I don’t like shiny)
Sponsored