Sponsored

Looking for a little insight on going from a "performance car" to a new Wrangler JL

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I've never given a Wrangler a second look until I saw my first JL several days ago, and it instantly had me hook, line, and sinker. Added to that is also the fact that we bought a new Grand Cherokee Summit last year that we absolutely LOVE, so I'm really thinking that a Wrangler JL (Sahara) is my next ride. One thing I'm curious about... I currently drive a 2014 Mustang Premium V6 with the performance package, and I've usually made it a point to have more "performance" oriented cars (not crazy or anything... just "peppy"). While I fully realize that the comparison is apples and oranges, are there any current Jeep Wrangler owners out there that made a similar change to what I'm considering doing? Any pros / cons / plusses / minuses you'd care to share? I'd love to hear about your experience with making the big change. Thanks!
Sponsored

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
I went from a very modified 2010 Audi S4 that ran 11s to my first JK Rubicon. Prior to the S4 I had several other modified Audis. People thought I was utterly insane. I ended up selling the JKUR 40 months later because I had an offer I couldn't refuse on it. Bought a loaded up BMW 340i MSport w/ Track package because I thought I'd missed a performance sedan. You know what? I regret selling my Wrangler every single day. Now I'm locked into the lease for another year, but I absolutely CANNOT wait to get into another Wrangler Rubicon next summer. I have never ever missed a vehicle like I miss my Wrangler. We have a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk as well to sort of hold me over, but it's not quite the same.

As far as advice...set your expectations. It's a very, very different vehicle and you simply cannot compare the two. You have to enjoy the Wrangler for what it is, and why it's unique in the automotive world. If you just want an SUV, a Wrangler probably isn't the vehicle for you. But if you want the freedom and joy that driving a Wrangler on or off road with the doors off and top off gives you, then you are absolutely in the right place.

Funny enough, since I bought my JKUR in '13, most of my Audi and Porsche club friends have bought Rubicons as well. Some as secondary vehicles, but some as their primary vehicles. Now they get why I wanted one so badly.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I came from small, vaguely sporty cars to my LJ. While the manual transmission helps, obviously, and per reports the new stick is quite an improvement, it's definitely a significant change of pace.

I found that the Jeep encouraged me to be much more deliberate about preparing to go somewhere (since with a soft top or no top there's practically no security), and much more deliberate about driving (since, y'know, performance).

Also the whole "flip over when you take a curve too tight" thing is quite different from the cars I used to drive. Definitely helps with the "deliberateness" theme.

While I wouldn't mind an S2000 at all, I don't see myself going back to small cars primarily. I'm deeply in love with my Wrangler.

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Hot rods and jeeps are both fun to drive for different reasons. My last one was a 2014 GT500 putting 700hp to the ground. It was pretty crazy. The jeep is just plain fun to get in and go anywhere,anytime. My mud running days are over[been there done that] but it's still nice to get off the roads if i want to. Now i do still have the Camaro drop top which is fun also and i have my truck which i drive very little also since we got our last 2016 jeep.So, i quess what i'm saying is it's nice to have both if you can swing it even if it's an older hot rod or jeep. Not sure if this helps but it's my take on it.

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm HOPING that because of all the added torque the diesel motor will provide there will be a bit more "zing" in the gas pedal... but in all reality the reason why a Sahara has shot to the top of my list is because it will be a good Wisconsin "AWD convertible" (Selec-Trac 4WD Full Time System and Sky One Touch top) with the added benefit of it being more practical and comfortable than a sports coupe. I love sitting up higher, I love the one-of-a-kind styling... they've done a hell of a job with the update.

Sponsored

eder214

First Name
Eder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with Cobra if you can swing it have one of each. I have also always driven small sport oriented cars most of them being manual. I have always wanted a Jeep, but I felt I would miss the driving from a sports car. So I recently purchase a F-Body Z28 as my second vehicle.

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with Cobra if you can swing it have one of each. I have also always driven small sport oriented cars most of them being manual. I have always wanted a Jeep, but I felt I would miss the driving from a sports car. So I recently purchase a F-Body Z28 as my second vehicle.
This is where it gets sticky for me. My wife has the Grand Cherokee Summit, my toy is a 1958 Edsel Pacer (which I would never, ever, part with), and that leaves me with my (Wisconsin) daily driver for the 3rd spot in my garage and pocketbook. I'd love to stick with a "sporty" car as my year round driver, but it can get "iffy" at times during the winter despite snow tires. I'm really looking for something with AWD / 4WD and a convertible roof for my next year rounder, and that really narrows the list to only a few vehicles, with the Wrangler JL being a fun option.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
If you want the best acceleration, test drive the Hurricane turbo over the diesel. Most diesel vehicles have good grunt but 0-60 times are slower sometimes by 1-2 seconds vs the gas versions. I've gone from V8 Camaro back and forth to my JK and you will be disappointed if you are expecting any quickness from a body on frame heavy vehicle. That's why I'm keeping the Camaro and buying a JL in the future.

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you want the best acceleration, test drive the Hurricane turbo over the diesel. Most diesel vehicles have good grunt but 0-60 times are slower sometimes by 1-2 seconds vs the gas versions. I've gone from V8 Camaro back and forth to my JK and you will be disappointed if you are expecting any quickness from a body on frame heavy vehicle.
Good idea. I truly am not expecting much in the "performance department" with these Jeeps... I just don't want it to be a "dog". If I can get to 60 MPH in 6-7 seconds in one of these rigs that's good enough for me.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Well said. I truly am not expecting much in the "performance department" with these Jeeps... I just don't want it to be a "dog". If I can get to 60 MPH in 6-7 seconds in one of these rigs that's good enough for me.
They get up and go, I am happy with the power and performance.

Sponsored

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
I've been a Corvette owner as long as I've been a car owner. I currently have a 2016 Z06 and 2010 JK Rubicon. Many times I've been asked which vehicle is more fun. The answer is easy: the Wrangler, and let me say, the Z06 is a hell of a lot of fun.

Bottom line, there's way more scope for fun in the Wrangler - climbing mountains, fording streams, blasting through snow, and ultimately, getting to places and sights that no other vehicle can take you to.

2017 Colorado-29.jpg

Last edited:

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
...and that leaves me with my (Wisconsin) daily driver for the 3rd spot in my garage and pocketbook
Once you get comfortable (or, if you go with another Jeep, as a way to get comfortable) with its off-road capabilities, check out the Trans Wisconsin Trail. On my "eventually" list.

(To be clear, I never advocate going offroading alone, but for more overlanding-oriented routes I'm reasonably comfortable in a single vehicle...until someday when I'm stuck/broken down, at which point I'll reevaluate that unhappily.)

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
How about the king of transitions here... A 2016 Charger Hellcat to a Wrangler. Though I don’t own my JL yet, I can tell you I’ve had a JK while owning the Hellcat, and I still enjoy the Jeeps equally as much. In fact, I probably smile more in the Jeep than the Hellcat. There’s something magical about them

jeffrey4x4

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLSTC
I've been a Corvette owner as long as I've been a car owner. I currently have a 2016 Z06 and 2010 JK Rubicon. Many times I've been asked which vehicle is more fun. The answer is easy: the Wrangler, and let me say, the Z06 is a hell of a lot of fun.

Bottom line, there's way more scope for fun in the Wrangler - climbing mountains, fording streams, blasting through snow, and ultimately, getting to places and sights that no other vehicle can take you to.

2017 Colorado-29.jpg
Great photo!

JLUColorado

First Name
Ambez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU , 2017 GC Limited
I mentioned this earlier, but I recently got my JL with no intention of buying one. I often go wheeling in Jeeps but I had always driven sport sedans. In this case, I had gone to the local with the plan to get my wife a GC. I ended up finding one at manheim auction. But before I left, I saw the JL up close for the first time. It had all the modern features I always wanted a JEEP to have, but maintain the iconic look. Safe to say, I was smitten. Made a deal, and after only 7-8 months of a great 328xi with sport package I converted. Its safe to say, I have no regrets and look forward to enjoying the rocky mountains in my new adventure wagon, that is, quite peppy on its own.
Sponsored