Sponsored

Looking for a little insight on going from a "performance car" to a new Wrangler JL

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Recon & 2017 TACO 4WD OFF ROAD
Occupation
Retired
I've never given a Wrangler a second look until I saw my first JL several days ago, and it instantly had me hook, line, and sinker. Added to that is also the fact that we bought a new Grand Cherokee Summit last year that we absolutely LOVE, so I'm really thinking that a Wrangler JL (Sahara) is my next ride. One thing I'm curious about... I currently drive a 2014 Mustang Premium V6 with the performance package, and I've usually made it a point to have more "performance" oriented cars (not crazy or anything... just "peppy"). While I fully realize that the comparison is apples and oranges, are there any current Jeep Wrangler owners out there that made a similar change to what I'm considering doing? Any pros / cons / plusses / minuses you'd care to share? I'd love to hear about your experience with making the big change. Thanks!

My Story: Traded my C6 Corvette for a 2015 JKUR Hard Rock; then traded my JKUR Hard Rock for a C7 Corvette. On June 1st this month, I traded in my C7 Corvette for my brand new 2020 JLUR Rubicon Recon. I've resolved to never make these idiotic mistakes again. I will keep my Rubi until the JMUR emerges from the depths of Jeepland's imagination. I enjoy the speed and power of the Corvettes, but I've come to realize that there is truth to the cliche that "You may go faster than me; but, I can go anywhere!" Nuff said. :)

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I did not make the trade... because I kept my CTS-V and just added the JLU Sport to it. I was going to split daily driving duties between them but with Covid and my office working from home, my daily driving amounts to less than 20 miles per week.

I'm partway through a 2000 mile trip in the JLU and it is fine for me on long trips although I'm not sure my wife would like it. I may have 3 more long road trips for the next 6 months. But make no mistake there is a big difference in the 2 vehicles. A performance oriented suspension, 400hp, and light weight will effortlessly do things on paved roads just like the JL will do effortless things offroad.

I do plan to keep the JLU for longer than the CTS-V but for now I still get to drive both.

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
I have a manual JLUR and SRT grand Cherokee. While thereā€™s nothing like the rumble and power of that 6.4l and fun of a sleeper performance SUV that does things it really shouldnā€™t be able, I have to say I more often grab the JLUR fob.

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for a little insight on going from a "performance car" to a new Wrangler JL 6F31273E-0B0E-46E8-88D6-6B445C1365BE

Thereā€™s just something about the wrangler, the waves, the camaraderie of the community, the open air, the styling, the capabilities, the many people who will want to chat about it, etc that make it simply a blast to own and drive.. I canā€™t envision myself ever not having one in the driveway.

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I went from a 2015 Mustang GT Convertible to a 2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon and donā€™t miss it at all. I especially donā€™t miss people trying to race me all the time.

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for a little insight on going from a "performance car" to a new Wrangler JL 15545F79-8FBB-474B-9F5E-B02B846C19F6

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for a little insight on going from a "performance car" to a new Wrangler JL 1711CA8F-BCDD-4ABE-8191-CA8AD5F1BBE3

Sponsored

ThePaleDuck47

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
I have a manual JLUR and SRT grand Cherokee. While thereā€™s nothing like the rumble and power of that 6.4l and fun of a sleeper performance SUV that does things it really shouldnā€™t be able, I have to say I more often grab the JLUR fob.

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for a little insight on going from a "performance car" to a new Wrangler JL 1711CA8F-BCDD-4ABE-8191-CA8AD5F1BBE3

Thereā€™s just something about the wrangler, the waves, the camaraderie of the community, the open air, the styling, the capabilities, the many people who will want to chat about it, etc that make it simply a blast to own and drive.. I canā€™t envision myself ever not having one in the driveway.
What you said at the end is exactly why i came back to Jeep. I had a 2012 sport that i traded in on a Ford Focus ST. While the St was fun on the drive to work, it did or does not hold a candle to the, well the hole Jeep experience. So i am currently waiting with some of the other fine members on here for my new Jeep Willys to be built so i can take delivery. The St will be traded in, chapter of my life over. And as you said i think i will forever have one in the driveway

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko JLU Freedom, 2020 Punk'n JL Sport S
Occupation
John - US Army Ret/DA Civilian / Holly - Boss of husband
I kept my Mustang, added my Jeep. Problem solved.
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for a little insight on going from a "performance car" to a new Wrangler JL 1593260180348

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My Story: Traded my C6 Corvette for a 2015 JKUR Hard Rock; then traded my JKUR Hard Rock for a C7 Corvette. On June 1st this month, I traded in my C7 Corvette for my brand new 2020 JLUR Rubicon Recon. I've resolved to never make these idiotic mistakes again. I will keep my Rubi until the JMUR emerges from the depths of Jeepland's imagination. I enjoy the speed and power of the Corvettes, but I've come to realize that there is truth to the cliche that "You may go faster than me; but, I can go anywhere!" Nuff said. :)
It seems we all have, or have had, the need for speed. For me, I'm pretty well over it. Just before the JLUR, I was driving a 14 SS Camaro. Not a rocket, but fast enough to get in trouble. I was looking into GT 350s, but they seem to have engine probs, so I went looking at ZL1 Camaros and just before I bought the JL, I was considering ordering a mid-engine Corvette. But, I looked in the mirror, saw an old married man...bought the Jeep.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I have driven my Trans Am twice since I bought my JL 18 months ago. Both times were just trips around the block to blow the cob webs out.

Never thought this would happen but the Jeep has pulled me out of the muscle car scene. I am just way more relaxed driving the Jeep. If the Jeep was a bit faster it would be perfect, like a high 13's quarter mile.

Now after 18 of years of ownership I am going to sell the TA.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Good idea. I truly am not expecting much in the "performance department" with these Jeeps... I just don't want it to be a "dog". If I can get to 60 MPH in 6-7 seconds in one of these rigs that's good enough for me.
Loaded with big steel bumpers, heavy tire carrier, 37s on heavy bead lock wheels, winch etc...... zero to sixty times are 8.4 seconds.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have had fast cars and fast motorcycle. One of the saying in the motorcycle community is it is more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow. This translates to cars also.

I love speed. On a motorcycle, I believe the real fun starts above 140 mph. With that said the risk of death is high, the risk of arrest is high, and the cost of fines are high. I have been over a 140 mph thousands and thousands of time, to the point that it did not bring the thrill that it used to. Wheelies at 110....blab blab blab. Ran cars out in the desert at speeds of 125+ for miles and miles and there thrills are just not there anymore.

I now have the best fun cruising at or just below the speed limit with the top and doors off and enjoying the weather and views that I always missed at speed. 10 mph on the trail is the new fun and splashing through water and climbing over rocks and stuff is way more fun. The Jeep community attracts good people and we have ton of fun out wheeling and camping. My main group of friends have sold their fast toys and bought Jeeps to go Jeeping with me and go on adventures. I have a bud that is getting ready to sell his diesel truck, toy hauler and SxS so he can go Jeeping with us. Another bud, recently bought a lifted Rubicon Gladiator for him, and then a 2dr Rubicon JL for his wife because she wanted to wheel her own vehicle.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have had fast cars and fast motorcycle. One of the saying in the motorcycle community is it is more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow. This translates to cars also.

I love speed. On a motorcycle, I believe the real fun starts above 140 mph. With that said the risk of death is high, the risk of arrest is high, and the cost of fines are high. I have been over a 140 mph thousands and thousands of time, to the point that it did not bring the thrill that it used to. Wheelies at 110....blab blab blab. Ran cars out in the desert at speeds of 125+ for miles and miles and there thrills are just not there anymore.

I now have the best fun cruising at or just below the speed limit with the top and doors off and enjoying the weather and views that I always missed at speed. 10 mph on the trail is the new fun and splashing through water and climbing over rocks and stuff is way more fun. The Jeep community attracts good people and we have ton of fun out wheeling and camping. My main group of friends have sold their fast toys and bought Jeeps to go Jeeping with me and go on adventures. I have a bud that is getting ready to sell his diesel truck, toy hauler and SxS so he can go Jeeping with us. Another bud, recently bought a lifted Rubicon Gladiator for him, and then a 2dr Rubicon JL for his wife because she wanted to wheel her own vehicle.
For me, the fastest bike I recall riding was a Honda Hurricane 1100. I think it was a 10 second 1/4 miler. I remember a ride down a street I still drive, where that bike had the front end off the ground passing thru 100 mph. Long time ago... Still hard to imagine one of those Dodge Demons going quicker than that bike.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
No regrets. Love the slow and curious over the fast and furious lifestyle.

Not going to say I don't still love fast cars, but I'm happily driving at a slower pace. Wherever I want.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer

for me it was more about contextual speed. I club raced a ā€˜79 911 for a few years and top speed I ever hit was 125 at both LAS Vegas Motorspeedway and California Speedway. That really didnā€™t thrill me though - but doing about 50 mph through the corkscrew at Laguna Seca - now that got my motor going. Same with turn 8, a medium speed off-camber at Streets of Willow, I ran that track so many times and always struggled to get it just right.

with the Jeep I find even slower speeds off-road To be quite entertaining. Picking a line slowly is a blast - at less that 5 mph. And as you note, taking the time to enjoy the world around the vehicle.

ow maybe weā€™re just getting older. Naw, canā€™t be it. hold my beer and watch this...
Sponsored