Sponsored

Looking for a little insight on going from a "performance car" to a new Wrangler JL

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
me it was 94 black viper and 2 vettes. Both were extremely fun but in los angeles traffic. I feel like Ted Nugent singing "I can't drive 55".

and when you are low like that you spend some time looking at alot of exhaust pipes from pick up trucks. If i live out in the country where ere lots of winding OPEN roads then the sport car would be pretty dang fun. Given the choice it is a Jeep. In my current JKU it has 172 k on it 35's and stock gears it just doesn't go fast . whichis kinda cool no tickets. no problems some one blocks me in I dive over...... what curb? I din't see any curb or prius for that matter.
Sponsored

replicast

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
I had the same concerns about moving to a Wrangler from overachieving sports cars, especially after finally convincing my wife to test drive a JK this summer, and she complains: "it doesn't move when I push the gas"! I had been almost ready to pull the trigger on the JK, but the bad review from my wife was enough to make me wait for the JL. When I read about the improved 8-speed and tweaks to the 3.6-liter, I hoped that would be enough to push the on-road performance to ok. I didn't want to wait for the 2.0l or diesel, and frankly, I'm not sure that either would be significantly more fun to push on the road - well, that's what I tell myself anyway :).

We've had the JL Rubicon for just over a week, and I am pretty happy with the on road performance and overall just love the vehicle. It's so different from anything else, and that is a huge appeal. I think the 8-speed is great, the throttle response seems improved over the JK, and it even makes a pleasant noise when you push the RPMs. We have driven almost a 1000 km since we picked up the Jeep last week. Best of all, my wife is happy, has no complaints, and even said: yes, this was a great choice. That said, she also mentioned that on her way home today she noticed that the Jeep feels like it is going much faster than the speedometer reads out. Not a big surprise, but not really a problem. Can't wait to get out on the trails when the snow melts, and keep the soft top down all summer.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I'm HOPING that because of all the added torque the diesel motor will provide there will be a bit more "zing" in the gas pedal... but in all reality the reason why a Sahara has shot to the top of my list is because it will be a good Wisconsin "AWD convertible" (Selec-Trac 4WD Full Time System and Sky One Touch top) with the added benefit of it being more practical and comfortable than a sports coupe. I love sitting up higher, I love the one-of-a-kind styling... they've done a hell of a job with the update.
If you get a tune for it, it absolutely rockets to 40mph in about 2 seconds. Then the next 20mph take about 4-5 seconds. Stock the ecodiesel is a bit of a dog.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WTDC2A9d0DFKsAnl2

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Funny story wife wanted a GC with a Hemi 2weeks. She had her first ticket

Sponsored

GMCarGuy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
I was always more into cars, but learned to drive on a truck. After a bad experience with snow happening very early in the season a few years ago, I decided I needed two vehicles. I bought beater trucks/SUVs so I could continue with my sports car I love in nicer weather.

The Jeep will be my first "nice" capable vehicle and let me do a lot more with it, but I plan to always have a sports car as well if I can manage it.

Two very different purposes! And life is too short to drive boring vehicles! =D

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Just the opposite for me. Learned in a sports car. My dads friend drove for Ferrari in 1952. Before switching to corvette. (Kids listen up here. If you want a cool first car get yours dads car guy friend to go shopping with your dad and you when you pick out a first car ) so I ended up with ab4 on the floor 4 single barrel carbs Corvair Corsa convertible whit with black interior. It was ver quick and handled ver well for its day. Ralph Nader was an idiot.

Anyway i ramble. Loved cars but having to pick just 1 it has to be a jeep

ParkerS12

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jku Sahara 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
Good info in this thread. One thing I’ll warn you of is the brakes. My challenger’s massive brakes make stopping a joke, but in the jk there was much to be desired. Got in an accident after someone pulled out in front of me in the rain and I couldn’t stop for what felt like a lifetime. Really hoping the brakes are better on the jl. That was my only complaint about the jk.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
reportedtly they fixed the brakes also much larger in the front and back

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I’ve never used auto off-road, but when I have spoken with fellow jeepers who do they seem to indicate that the low gears are not quite sufficient. It may very well be user error, I don’t know.
I use have both, and as mentioned in a few specific threads have used engine braking extensively.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-4wd-system-discussions.1267/page-4#post-7463

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...erve-their-own-thread.1162/page-20#post-40560

The new larger ratio 1st gear should make the ZF8 and Asin very close/similar in engine braking efficacy, baring any ‘coasting’ gpfeature we discussed previously.

Even the old auto is still pretty effective, but it’s a question of the gearing as to what the impact level is. For on-road the old NAG1 auto would be fine, as 2nd & 3rd are still fairly close while 1st is a very large gulf in the old transmissions. So on-road it’s be a similar experience, where it would make a bigger difference is trying to creep down a mountain road or trail in 1st gear where the difference is significant. Now popping into 4Lo makes it easier, and that’s where an Auto Rubi would actually have more decent engine braking control than a Manual Sahara just from transfer case alone even if both using the same axles.

The Auto is fine for hill descent, although for really steep stuff every little bit helps.

What’s nice is the ability to easily shift when the terrain changes steepness often with ease, not that it’s really much different in a manual, just a tad easier in auto.

For most people either would be sufficient, but for serious hill descents, ore than recommending manual vs auto I would recommend Rubi NV241OR TC over the Sport/Sahara plain NV241 or SelecTrac if it is your primary activity. But for road or most trails, the 3.45 Auto JL(U) Sport would still be fine for most situations even.

Everything is much closer now.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think this might be a healthy perspective to take.

Going from the Mustang to the Wrangler involves little compromise in "performance," just an adjusted mindset on how "performance"--or should I say capability is measured..
The funny thing, having had both in my stables, is that an older Mustang was good at preparing you for rear solid axle hop around corners, obstacles & speed bumps. Although like the Mustang addressing this with their suspension updated, the JL supposedly hops less too now with the updated suspension placement, even before the wider Rubi.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
In all seriousness, you can only do so much in a survival situation by going fast, but the ability to crawl OVER things and tread water greatly outweighs speed.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really hoping the brakes are better on the jl. That was my only complaint about the jk.
reportedtly they fixed the brakes also much larger in the front and back
The JL has also increased the Front brake from single piston to dual piston for greater and more consistent braking pressure.

Before they didn’t add the bigger brakes to N.Am. JKs because they still had the small 16” base steelie rims in the mix, Europe got the Big Brake Kit in part because they didn’t have the 16” option.

While it should make for much improved braking, you will still be limited by MT and AT tyres that don’t grip like performance/sport tyres, especially on a heavy Wrangler, so don’t expect to be braking like a sports coupe even with more capable brakes.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
When I did go to the track my family would have to sit in the paddocks and watch while I get to have fun. Now we all go offroading together and even the kids get to enjoy the experience.
Similar here, but back to back M3 sedans. Love the V8 and 8400 redline, handling, and hard brakes...but it's getting less fun to crawl in as a DD.

IDK, people think I'm crazy too...I test drove JKs last year and it was just fun as much as I didn't think I should like it! If you drive the character of the wrangler is relaxed for sure. My first vehicle was a blazer, so I've done weekend off roading. I'm excited to get a JL and see if the family will get into off-roading with me. Hint: TTEChris is correct with thinking anyone wants to go sit in a paddock while you race in circles :) My family won't miss my M3..in fact my spouse loves to drive my car, less excited to just be a passenger.

If I missed it, go test drive one and see if it even interests you.
Sponsored