Sponsored

Looking for 2020 JLUR Upgrade Ideas

VS1VS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
First post here! Stumbled upon this site about a week ago. I Just purchased a 2020 JLU. I'm looking to upgrade some stuff but I dont know where to start.

So, my question to my fellow Jeepers is: If you had a budget between 5-6K, what would you do to this Wrangler?

I do use it as a daily driver. I will also be taking it to dunes, trails, and maybe try some crawling when I get a little more experience. I live in San Diego, CA. One thing I do need is a tow package to tow my boat. So any recommendations on that would be appreciated. I am not a mechanic so anything in that nature I'd have to have it done in a shop. I am able to do some stuff such as lighting, bumpers, etc..

I'd love to hear what you guys would do. Brand names and places to buy would also be a bonus! Here's a pic of my Jeep.

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

Thanks in advance,
Vince
Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
Jeeps are pretty capable from the factory. Iā€™d recommend you drive it around on/off road for a bit and through that determine what upgrades you think would enhance the performance on/off road based on your use. Hope that helps a bit, enjoy the new Jeep.

Hava-Jeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Huntington Beach, CA / Lake Havasu City, AZ
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon,
Occupation
Retired
Jeeps are pretty capable from the factory. Iā€™d recommend you drive it around on/off road for a bit and through that determine what upgrades you think would enhance the performance on/off road based on your use. Hope that helps a bit, enjoy the new Jeep.
^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

Iā€™ve had mine since January and have been blown away how capable the Rubicon is in stock form... My first add on was a winch. I will probably put 35s on eventually.

I have also towed my boat to and from the ramp a few times without issue. It is not my primary tow vehicle, so I do not plan on any long distance towing.

0E3E2015-DC0B-4FBF-8A4B-053AFB20E6A0.jpeg

OP
OP
VS1VS

VS1VS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Did your jeep come with a tow package from the factory? When I asked about one, the dealer said Mopar doesn't even make it for the 2020 yet.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Did your jeep come with a tow package from the factory? When I asked about one, the dealer said Mopar doesn't even make it for the 2020 yet.
I have a ā€˜20. Ordered it on 7/27. Took delivery on 9/5. With a tow package from the factory. Your dealer needs to find a different line of work!!!!

Sponsored

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
$500--smittybilt x2o 10k lb winch
$300--maximus-3 winch plate
That way you can always get out of whatever fun you find yourself having.

Keep the stock rubicon suspension and tires, very capable stock, and you'll just diminish your ability to tow if you lift or put in larger tires.

$350--teraflex nexus steering stabilizer. Just installed it on my stock rubicon and it makes a world of difference driving on the highway (and everywhere else too).

Last edited:

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Didnā€™t make a tow package from the factory? Itā€™s been on the JL since 2018. In fact, itā€™s a pretty popular upgrade due to the aux switches that come with it.

I digress- I will also agree that you need to drive it first. Jeeps are meant to be built to your own tastes/needs. Nothingā€™s worse than spending hella cash and realizing that you should have just changed direction. Did that on my first Jeep and regretted it. Everyone had opinions about making it into some monster truck for the mountains and I clearly didnā€™t need that. It was cheaper to sell it and start over.

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
A front bumper that can handle a winch, a winch, and experience. And that tow package you shouldā€™ve got from the factory!

Thereā€™s a million different ways you can ā€œupgradeā€ a Jeep, but without experience in stock form youā€™re likely to spend money on stuff that you end up either not using or not liking.

FWIW, my first JLUR (on order) mod will be cosmetic: a matte black grill as I like the look and itā€™ll preserve the factory paint thatā€™d otherwise get sandblasted. After that itā€™s probably things thatā€™ll make it better at what I bought it for: mountain weekends with the family.

Hava-Jeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Huntington Beach, CA / Lake Havasu City, AZ
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon,
Occupation
Retired
Yes. Mine is a 2019 and I ordered with the factory tow package. That also includes the factory Aux switches.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Wait, are you saying a dealer was clueless? Nooooooo...or that he/she even possibly lied? Nooooooo..

The tow package has been available without interruption, since the JL was launched. Too bad you stumbled upon this site after you purchased from a misinformed/misinforming dealer.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
@VS1VS

Vince, welcome to the gun club brother!

Really the sky is the limit. It all depends on what you want to do with it.

Most will say a lift/wheels.

I say your Rubi is more than capable.

Save some money for now on the lift, get some new wheels and tires, hit some easy trails and lift it when youā€™re ready to tackle some bigger stuff.

You can go to discount tire or a place like that, that works off of commission and they will purchase your tires and possibly wheels back saving you A lot of money on the new set, thatā€™s what I did. Also, I recommend NITTO Ridge Grapplers for tires, I love them and itā€™s the only thing Iā€™ll run from here on out and Iā€™m 1yr in.

You may also want to look into an Alien Sunshade as well for that Cali sun. I went with the full length but they do have a two piece as well.

Vendor:

@AlienSunshade

Forum Link:

AlienSunshade

Shop Links:

Full Length

Two Piece

Front Only

Also, a tailgate table would be good as well. I went with the Mopar Tailgate Table. Easy install you can do it.

Link:

Mopar Tailgate Table DIY

Also, if you donā€™t have the AUX switches they arenā€™t terribly hard to install. You can do it. Now is the time to learn to get handy. Itā€™ll pay dividends at the dunes and on the trails in the event something happens.

Links:

AUX Switch Install

RR Hitch Receiver

If you have the steel bumper group get a nice Warn winch for it and maybe some easy recovery gear/tow strap/gloves etc etc. There are tons of sites to get those. @Quadratec /ExtremeTerrain/ @Northridge4x4

All of the above is super cheap minus the wheels and tires haha and should get you started! Hope this helps!

SEMPER FI!

Last edited:

Ā¤|||||||Ā¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
First post here! Stumbled upon this site about a week ago. I Just purchased a 2020 JLU. I'm looking to upgrade some stuff but I dont know where to start.

So, my question to my fellow Jeepers is: If you had a budget between 5-6K, what would you do to this Wrangler?

I do use it as a daily driver. I will also be taking it to dunes, trails, and maybe try some crawling when I get a little more experience. I live in San Diego, CA. One thing I do need is a tow package to tow my boat. So any recommendations on that would be appreciated. I am not a mechanic so anything in that nature I'd have to have it done in a shop. I am able to do some stuff such as lighting, bumpers, etc..

I'd love to hear what you guys would do. Brand names and places to buy would also be a bonus! Here's a pic of my Jeep.

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

Thanks in advance,
Vince
You should first upgrade your budget.

...just sayn
Sponsored