Looking at JLU considering 4runner

SeaJay

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 CJ5, 1976 CJ5, 1999 TJ, 2012 JK
Toyota is coming out with a Limited 60 Year Everything Land Cruiser for 2020. This edtion WILL NOT HAVE THIRD ROW SEATING which I think is great thing. Only 1,200 will be made and Toyota will start taking orders in the summer.
If it doesn't have removable top and doors... it's just another SUV to me. I'm referring to both the 4 Runner and the Land Cruiser. The current 4 Runner hasn't been updated since 2009 so... no way.
Sponsored

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
I am wondering if you made your decision yet, and what your thoughts are??

4Runners cant be had with a manual gear box...

Mine is lifted, spent $7K to make it what it is, and now, i want more!

It doesn't rock crawl like i imagined it would! and now i don't know what to do..

I keep telling myself that if i had a rubicon and had spent the same $7K on it.. It would be able to crawl the back of the moon if i decided!

And here i am.. Looking to sell my 4Runner to buy a Rubicon
I understand your problem, but my TRD Pro was $42,600 MSRP and my Rubicon was $59,400. I don't know that you can spend any amount on a 4Runner to make it a Rubicon, but if you want in at the same price range then perhaps a Sport S +$7,000 will get you a rock climber. 2 years ago when I bought my TRD I thought it was expensive. But then I bought a loaded Rubicon to park beside it and I know what expensive is. No doubt there is nothing out there like a Rubicon in stock form

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
I read a lot where people say the Toyota is boring :) Really I guess it is. I like the looks of my TRD Pro but as far as driving it daily, it's just a fairly smooth riding SUV. Yes, it's capable of a lot more, but it just rides like every other good riding SUV out there.

So that brings us to the Rubicon. It is NOT boring. It is not a one hand driver. It keeps me involved like no other vehicle. I get exercise climbing up into it. I grab it with both hands to keep it between the lines and to hold on when I hit bumps. I slow down when I come to a sharp curve. I get in and out of it a lot to fill the tank. It's twichy. You don't want to be oversteering it at higher speeds. The wind makes it a handful. My mind is always active wondering what might be wrong that causes those noises I hear. It won't simply allow me to listen to the Alpine music as I relax down the interstate, no, I have to pay attention to what it wants and demands of me.

I LOVE driving it

So my TRD Pro sits in the garage most of the time as I let it age gracefully awaiting the day I give it to my granddaughter. I would feel safe with her in it. No way I want her in a Jeep until she has experience driving. A lot of it. Growing up with cars from the 60's that had sloppy steering and poor handling was good training for eventually driving a Jeep. Kids these days did not have that advantage

JLRoachicon

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo, 2006 Ducati 999S (RIP)
Vehicle Showcase
I too was looking into getting a TRD Pro 4 Runner but luckily in SoCal they are hard to come by. I’ve had 3 Wranglers before my 2019 JLUR so I might be a little biased towards the Jeep. Funny thing I work for Toyota/Lexus and have lots of coworkers who have 4Runners. They like them, as do I, but when I pull in with my Rubicon, I see the envy. They all comment on my ride, especially the new JL (I had a 2013 JK previously). Personally, I don’t see the comparison of the ride with the JL to the 4Runner. The JL rides awesome, even with the 37’s. Of course it all comes down to what you want to get into everyday. I have had good luck with all my Jeeps, too soon to tell with the JL (also knocking on all the wood within reach). All manufactures have concerns, yes, Toyota too. I love the Jeep community and the whole it’s a Jeep thing. You don’t get that with Toyota. My choices are emotional so this just my 2 cents. I enjoy getting in my Jeep every time, whether going to the store, work or wherever. Never had that as much with my other cars ( I have a 4Runner and Tundra). Again just my 2 cents.

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Wow didn't expect this thread to be active so quickly. Lots of snow here in ht east so everyone must have time.

To answers the general questions everyone has.

Planned to use as the main family road vehicle. Wife has a Q5 but its a bit small for loading things in.
Mild off roading would keep the very capable rubi stock.
Need it to be able to take some road miles.
Need it to be able to handle all road conditions. We take ski trips, like to go up in the mountains for cabin camping etc.
Need it to last, would like to keep about 6-7 years. Avg. 12-15k a year in mileage.

I also wonder if people are not use to how the jeep drives. Having had 6 in the past ranging from 1999 model - a 2008 model I'm very well use to the way they drive. I've had 3" lifted ones with 35" and a Sahara with a 1.5" and 33" as a daily for many years.
Based on your post above, I'd go with a Sahara. A Rubi would be overkill for that type of driving and the ride of the Sahara is more "refined". Or you can get a MOAB and call it a day. My wife liked the ride of the Sahara over the Rubicon, it's her Jeep, her choice. The MOAB was not available then, if it was I'd expect that she would have picked it instead. Good luck with whatever you choose.

P.S. No steering issues here. I just aired down the tires from the dealers 40psi to 35psi and all is well.

Sponsored

brow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU
Planned to use as the main family road vehicle. Wife has a Q5 but its a bit small for loading things in.
Mild off roading would keep the very capable rubi stock.
Need it to be able to take some road miles.
Need it to be able to handle all road conditions. We take ski trips, like to go up in the mountains for cabin camping etc.
Need it to last, would like to keep about 6-7 years. Avg. 12-15k a year in mileage.
I've had both, am in similar situation with kids and size requirements. Honestly I think it comes down to your test drives and how the vehicles fit your family. Both are great choices and do what you want above. I am actually thinking of selling my old Ram pickup and replacing it with a 2-3 year old 4runner. Love my '18 JLUS. You may want to compare (test drive) Sahara vs Rubi. I love the look of the Rubicon, but didn't think I "needed" one and decided against.

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
had one of the new bodystyle tacomas briefly (great truck, decent off road and useful but jeeps kept calling me back). Now have my second JLU (1st was a sahara that I put 11k miles on but traded as I wanted to go with 35s and found a good deal on a rubicon). both steer perfectly well for live axle jeeps and no major problems. interior room is excellent and improved from JKU (I have a 1 year old and 3 year old with giant Britax convertible car seats, rear and forward facing).

you can't go wrong with either but I vote for the Jeep, technologically it is leaps and bounds above the toyota (HP, infotainment, transmission, off road capability, etc...) and if you are a jeep guy you will get bored with the 4runner, not to mention the fact that it will drink gas and they don't brake that well (the new JL is incredible for braking even with 35s).

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I too was looking into getting a TRD Pro 4 Runner but luckily in SoCal they are hard to come by. I’ve had 3 Wranglers before my 2019 JLUR so I might be a little biased towards the Jeep. Funny thing I work for Toyota/Lexus and have lots of coworkers who have 4Runners. They like them, as do I, but when I pull in with my Rubicon, I see the envy. They all comment on my ride, especially the new JL (I had a 2013 JK previously). Personally, I don’t see the comparison of the ride with the JL to the 4Runner. The JL rides awesome, even with the 37’s. Of course it all comes down to what you want to get into everyday. I have had good luck with all my Jeeps, too soon to tell with the JL (also knocking on all the wood within reach). All manufactures have concerns, yes, Toyota too. I love the Jeep community and the whole it’s a Jeep thing. You don’t get that with Toyota. My choices are emotional so this just my 2 cents. I enjoy getting in my Jeep every time, whether going to the store, work or wherever. Never had that as much with my other cars ( I have a 4Runner and Tundra). Again just my 2 cents.
Ya, TRD Pro MSRP plus Southern Cal premium = 2019 Rubicon. No brainer

Robertrinaustin

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18` JLUSS, Outback
I really like the 4 and seriously considered it before my end of year Wrangler purchase. Love Toyos and their reliability but really felt like the 4 was dated which I guess it is. Maybe in a few years when the new 4 comes out, I'll give it a look again. Considered the Lexus GX and passed for the same reason.

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I was actually looking at a 4Runner, but the Jeep’s Aux switches with the tow package sold me. In researching the 4Runner it looked like i would had to drill through the firewall to route power into the interior that i needed for my radios.
Sponsored