David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '96 Mustang Cobra, '18 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Digital Marketing
Hey guys!

I'm PUMPED! We are looking to buy a JLU for the wife to drive. I've found several that meet our needs in the upper 30s ($36k-38k).

#1: Rust. A couple that I've looked at came out of Michigan and have some axle rust. There doesn't appear to be any on the frame, just suspension/axle components. Is this normal? I live in NC and this thing WILL go to the mountains and beach...so some rust is inevitable.

Here are some images for reference.

#2: 3.6L vs 2.0L - We are planning to get the 8spd auto. I've driven the 2.0T and it's a great engine. I worry about long term maintenance on it. I have an Ecoboost F150 and it is GREAT! Is there anything else that I should look out for on those 2018s that should concern me?

We plan to buy this Jeep and keep it 10-15 years and only lightly modify it.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 11.03.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 11.03.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 11.03.26 AM.png
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Rust. A couple that I've looked at came out of Michigan and have some axle rust. There doesn't appear to be any on the frame, just suspension/axle components. Is this normal?
Yes.

Is there anything else that I should look out for on those 2018s that should concern me?
The batteries are likely ready to be replaced. They don't seem to last more than 3 years on the JL.

MonopoliJLUR

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
If your planning on keeping it for that long I’d suggest the 3.6 it is a very reliable engine while the 2.0 is yet to be seen and turbo engines tend to be less reliable

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

That is a lot of rust for only being ~4 years old. I couldn't see myself buying a vehicle this must rust on it already.
It's surface rust on a vehicle from Michigan. 100% normal.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

At that price point wouldn't it be better to buy new?
Good point. Used vehicle prices are insanely high. That being said, new vehicle inventory is slim and the OP may not want to order new.

OP
OP
dappstate

dappstate

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Digital Marketing
I ended up passing on that one...Looking at another one that has some rust, but not NEAR the same level...I mean, my F150 probably has this much rust...

Here's the images from the second one...at this point, there aren't really any new ones out there...I may inquire about ordering one, but not sure how long that will take...

Does this one look cleaner?

On another note, I rented a Grand Cherokee with the 3.6 + 8 spd :) it was perfect.

IMG_4888.jpeg

IMG_4889.jpeg

IMG_4890.jpeg

IMG_4891.jpeg

IMG_4892.jpeg

IMG_4894.jpeg

IMG_4895.jpeg

IMG_4896.jpeg

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
Would you mind sharing the specs and price? Are you in a rush or can you wait a few weeks? It honestly may be almost the same price to order brand new with discounts.

OP
OP
dappstate

dappstate

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Digital Marketing
$35,999 right now with 35k miles. Sport S, cold weather, 7" stereo, 3.6L & 8 spd. auto., hard top.

It looks like a new one would retail for around $43k...just can't find one and don't really want to order one...

So, it seems like I can save around $6-7k by purchasing used. I plan to keep it a long time, so seems wise to pay less with lower miles vs. brand new...

Sponsored

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
It's surface rust on a vehicle from Michigan. 100% normal.
They look like that on the lot brand new in Michigan. I am jealous of those pictures, those Jeeps escaped Michigan.

OP
OP
dappstate

dappstate

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Digital Marketing
They look like that on the lot brand new in Michigan. I am jealous of those pictures, those Jeeps escaped Michigan.
I think they were just 'registered' in Michigan and ended up somewhere else...

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

$35,999 right now with 35k miles. Sport S, cold weather, 7" stereo, 3.6L & 8 spd. auto., hard top.

It looks like a new one would retail for around $43k...just can't find one and don't really want to order one...

So, it seems like I can save around $6-7k by purchasing used. I plan to keep it a long time, so seems wise to pay less with lower miles vs. brand new...
$43K is the *sticker* price. It's pretty common to be able to custom order a brand new one for ~5-7% below *invoice*, which comes out to ~10-13% below *sticker*. You should *easily* be able to custom order a brand new $43K Wrangler for ~$37-38K.

Here's a thread full of dealers still pricing below invoice: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/are-dealerships-still-pricing-under-invoice.73516/. Personally, I used [email protected], just outside of Nashville.

If you plan to keep it as long as you do, it's an even easier decision - pay a couple grand more today and enjoy 3 years of fully warranty coverage, no miles, and get the exact options that you want.

The ONLY caveat right now is that 2021 order banks just closed, and 2022 order banks don't open till ~October, shipping in December, so you likely wouldn't get your new Wrangler until ~January. If you can wait another ~6 months, that would absolutely be the best financial decision. If you can't, though, then yeah, you're on the right track.

OP
OP
dappstate

dappstate

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Digital Marketing
$43K is the *sticker* price. It's pretty common to be able to custom order a brand new one for ~5-7% below *invoice*, which comes out to ~10-13% below *sticker*. You should *easily* be able to custom order a brand new $43K Wrangler for ~$37-38K.

Here's a thread full of dealers still pricing below invoice: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/are-dealerships-still-pricing-under-invoice.73516/. Personally, I used [email protected], just outside of Nashville.

If you plan to keep it as long as you do, it's an even easier decision - pay a couple grand more today and enjoy 3 years of fully warranty coverage, no miles, and get the exact options that you want.

The ONLY caveat right now is that 2021 order banks just closed, and 2022 order banks don't open till ~October, shipping in December, so you likely wouldn't get your new Wrangler until ~January. If you can wait another ~6 months, that would absolutely be the best financial decision. If you can't, though, then yeah, you're on the right track.
Thanks for the thoughts!

I really want to sell my wife's Explorer since it has 88k...if we keep it another 6 months, I'm afraid it will drop like a rock...

I'm actually going to reach out to a couple dealers on in stock Sport S...see what I can get!

If I could get one for around $40k, that might make sense...$43k...we're just talking a lot more money...

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Thanks for the thoughts!

I really want to sell my wife's Explorer since it has 88k...if we keep it another 6 months, I'm afraid it will drop like a rock...

I'm actually going to reach out to a couple dealers on in stock Sport S...see what I can get!

If I could get one for around $40k, that might make sense...$43k...we're just talking a lot more money...
If you've kept up with maintenance, etc, 88K is nothing, tbh. Before my Jeep I had an '07 GMC Sierra with 203K miles on it. It ran fine, but I needed something more fun. :)

Build what you want online, then shoot the details to Daniel at Gupton - he'll give you a quote in writing within a day or two. Doesn't hurt to have extra knowledge/research in your back pocket. He may even have a Sport S in stock that he'd deal with you on.
Sponsored