Looking at a slightly used 2018 Sahara

18BlackJLRU

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4XE Rubicon
It might be worth looking at a new one, the price difference might not justify buying a used one.

In 2013, I looked at used ones and bought a new one instead, the price difference was so little. In 2018, I went straight for a new one.

Enjoy your shopping!
Sponsored

OP
OP
SouthCo

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
I saved $8k off MSRP ordering new. If you can wait, order a 2019 and buy new. Look at the preferred dealers thread on the forum to find a deal near you.

Off-road pages work on 2018...
Thank you for the info on the Off Road pages. And definitely good info on pricing a new one. I talked to 3 of the local preferred dealers listed on here. They were all great to communicate with. Basically 7-8% off invoice/FWP plus around $300 fees (not talking taxes and tags/registration). I used the pricing guide on this website and a 2019 with the same options as the used 2018 would work out something like:

47,220 invoice/FWP including destination

So 8% off would be 43,442 (before processing fees, taxes and tags/registration) for a new 2019.

If I can get the used one for around $37,000 before processing fee, taxes and tags/registration (about $6k less than the 2019) that's probably a good deal right?

OP
OP
SouthCo

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As I was signing the papers on my Rubicon a guy that had looked at it a day or so before came in to buy it. He was pissed. Sometimes going with your first impulse works out.
Stinks for that other guy lol! I had very limited time so couldn't seal the deal if I wanted to. They also called me and came down after I left. I figured if it was meant to be it'd still be there this week...

OP
OP
SouthCo

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Before you buy used, if you are financing get a quote on the interest rate of the loan and monthly payments. Use sites like Capital One Auto Navigator and compare the interest rate and monthly payment to a similarly equipped new 2018.

I was looking at a used 2017 JKU Sahara because I didn't think I could afford a new Sahara. I was also looking at new 2018 JLU Sport S models. Turned out I got the best deal on financing with a 2018 JLU Sahara. It ended up being cheaper on monthly payments than both the used 2017 JKU Sahara and the 2018 JLU Sport S.

I previously never knew that higher trim models have lower interest rates because of resale value. I did note the interest rate was the same between a Sahara and Rubicon as well as new 2018 vs new 2019.
Your definitely right. New loans do get better rates. Not sure what a Jeep dealer would offer on the low end for a new loan? I did check a few banks including my credit union. Not sure what the used dealer will offer but I'll check with them. I'm a USAA member and they had the best rate so far. They pre-approved me for a used loan at 3.79. They offer 3.09 for new.

OP
OP
SouthCo

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my experience with owning Wranglers in the US, the price difference between a 1 year old Jeep and new one was so little that it didn't make much sense for me to buy used.
Typically, a new car will yield a much lower interest rate, if you are financing. Likely that alone may negate the difference in price at the end of your loan.
Plus, it is a Fiat vehicle, so the extra year of warranty may be worth it.
In any case.. you can never know what someone has done with their wranglers. You only need to watch some youtube videos to be vary of buying used ;)
Yeah I'm always weary buying used... I'm going to crawl all over it. I did get down and looked under it and didn't see any rust. The welds actually looked good (I've read all about Jeep welds lol). If you could get if for $6K less than a similarly equipped 2019, would that make you go used? Hoping the remainder of the warranty would cover me for any potential issues....

Sponsored

OP
OP
SouthCo

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If they are asking 48 I would keep looking. I just bought the exact same Jeep only new with 21 miles on it & it was just over 40. less with the discounts. I didn't notice enough difference in the 19 to spend anything more.
They aren't asking $48K. That's the original window sticker MSRP. I'm trying to get it for $37k or less (before taxes, tags/registration and processing fee). If you got a new 2018 with the same options for $40k (before fees, taxes and tags/registration) you did awesome!

OP
OP
SouthCo

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It might be worth looking at a new one, the price difference might not justify buying a used one.

In 2013, I looked at used ones and bought a new one instead, the price difference was so little. In 2018, I went straight for a new one.

Enjoy your shopping!
I appreciate it. Yeah it's a tough call going used. I not so familiar with Jeep so it's hard. I know GMC's, Toyota's and Honda's lol... But I want to get to know a Jeep JL some kind of bad lol! If I could get it for $6k or less than a new 2019 with same options, is it worth the risk in your opinion? Can they really screw one up in 15K miles. Underneath looked clean. I was surprised actually. If it was really off-roaded you couldn't tell. No dirt or rust that I saw. I've had off-road toys (ATVs, dirt bikes and a Kawasaki SxS) and when you get them dirty it's a lot of work to make them look as clean as this Jeep did. It was dusty under the hood and in the rear cargo area. Thinking it was only used on road and maybe some open trail cruises... But you really never know...

18BlackJLRU

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4XE Rubicon
I appreciate it. Yeah it's a tough call going used. I not so familiar with Jeep so it's hard. I know GMC's, Toyota's and Honda's lol... But I want to get to know a Jeep JL some kind of bad lol! If I could get it for $6k or less than a new 2019 with same options, is it worth the risk in your opinion? Can they really screw one up in 15K miles. Underneath looked clean. I was surprised actually. If it was really off-roaded you couldn't tell. No dirt or rust that I saw. I've had off-road toys (ATVs, dirt bikes and a Kawasaki SxS) and when you get them dirty it's a lot of work to make them look as clean as this Jeep did. It was dusty under the hood and in the rear cargo area. Thinking it was only used on road and maybe some open trail cruises... But you really never know...
Either way... you will really enjoy and like/love your Jeep ! My 2013 Sahara JKU was 65,000 miles when I changed it and never really had any major issue with it.

MKC JL

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU ,2019 Cherokee Limited
They aren't asking $48K. That's the original window sticker MSRP. I'm trying to get it for $37k or less (before taxes, tags/registration and processing fee). If you got a new 2018 with the same options for $40k (before fees, taxes and tags/registration) you did awesome!
I was pretty happy with both deals. It's a small dealer been there since 52. I dealt with the owner & his son.

OP
OP
SouthCo

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll keep you all posted. i wanted to go look at it again tomorrow but it may be later in the week. I appreciate you all answering my questions and giving opinions/experiences. I think if my second test drive and more thorough look over goes well, and I can get it for less than $40K out the door (all fees, taxes and tags/registration included) I'll buy it... That would save me $6k or so...

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
If you could get if for $6K less than a similarly equipped 2019, would that make you go used?
For me personally, no. 10 years ago I would certainly have cared a lot more though. Then again, the only "official" JLs we have here are imports with the 3.6 pentastar.
The 2019 Jeeps meet the Euro 6D-T emissions standards. That alone is worth the 6k to me since it won't get banned in the big cities.

Lincoln

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU, 2017 Chevy Express 2500 High Top Explorer 4x4 Conversion Van, 2011 Ford F-150, 2016 Jayco Seneca 37TS Motorhome
Hello, brand new to this forum and while I have been exposed to Jeeps, I'm far from knowledgeable on them. I really like the looks of the JL's. That's the number one reason I've been looking at them and why I joined here. I have only driven a JK once and only for a few miles. Otherwise I've have no behind the wheel experience. I found a 2018 Sahara with about 15k miles that was built around 2/18. It drove fine, about what I'd expect from a solid axle vehicle with a removable top. I enjoyed the short drive (maybe 15 mins).

Has the following options:

-3.6/auto
-Leather seats
-Led Lighting group
-Cold weather group
-Electronic Infotainment 8.4" display w/ GPS and Alpine Audio
-Jeep Active Safety group
-Anti-spin rear axle
-Remote proximity keyless entry
-Black hardtop (really rather have it color matched)

I have a few questions I'm hoping can be answered.

-Were there any improvements to the '19s (or expected for the '20s) that I should pass on this 2018?
-How would I know if there were any software updates that needed to be applied (non-Jeep selling dealer)?
-Anything obvious to look for/problem areas (besides welds that I'd take it to a Jeep dealer for inspection)?
-What would I need to do to add the tow package with upgraded alternator (is wiring same?)?
-What's a good price, MSRP when new was $48,300 (they're so new, not many used ones to compare)?

I really appreciate any help for this noob!
I just bought the same Jeep Sahara with the exception that mine has the hardtop headliner and all weather floor mats.Mine had a sticker price of $49725 I got $4500 off the price and out the door for $45225 It took several trips to the dealer but they finally did the deal Mine is a 2018 and I noticed that sometime during the 2018 model year they went up $500 on the base price $50 on the destination charge and a $100 on just about every option I got for a total of $1150 price increase For me to order a 2109 with exactly the same options was $1150 more Thankfully the dealer located exactly the Jeep I wanted and went and picked it up Do yourself a favor and shop around They definitely have better deals on the 2018’s if you can find what you want The only problem I have had was the wobble at highway speed after hitting a bump but mine wasn’t to bad The dealer did install a new steering stabilizer that has been updated to the newest version and I have no more wobble Good luck shopping

OP
OP
SouthCo

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just bought the same Jeep Sahara with the exception that mine has the hardtop headliner and all weather floor mats.Mine had a sticker price of $49725 I got $4500 off the price and out the door for $45225 It took several trips to the dealer but they finally did the deal Mine is a 2018 and I noticed that sometime during the 2018 model year they went up $500 on the base price $50 on the destination charge and a $100 on just about every option I got for a total of $1150 price increase For me to order a 2109 with exactly the same options was $1150 more Thankfully the dealer located exactly the Jeep I wanted and went and picked it up Do yourself a favor and shop around They definitely have better deals on the 2018’s if you can find what you want The only problem I have had was the wobble at highway speed after hitting a bump but mine wasn’t to bad The dealer did install a new steering stabilizer that has been updated to the newest version and I have no more wobble Good luck shopping
Thanks, I appreciate the info. So you got your new 2018, similarly equipped for $45,225 ($49725 sticker - $4500 discount) not including taxes and tags/registration? I think of "out the door" as including any taxes, tags/registration and any fees. In MD, taxes add 6% and tags/registration is about $330. So that new 2018 you bought would run me about $48,268 to get it out the door and on the road. I wouldn't buy this used one unless I can get out the door and on the road for under $40k. And I am still looking for other deals...

OP
OP
SouthCo

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I apologize and appreciate all the help, ideas and info. If I can get a price that makes it worth it to me to go used, I have one more question (for now)...

What can I expect to get out of the power train (3.6 motor and 8spd auto trans) with regular maintenance? I know anything can happen but is 200K+ unreasonable to expect?

Lincoln

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU, 2017 Chevy Express 2500 High Top Explorer 4x4 Conversion Van, 2011 Ford F-150, 2016 Jayco Seneca 37TS Motorhome
Thanks, I appreciate the info. So you got your new 2018, similarly equipped for $45,225 ($49725 sticker - $4500 discount) not including taxes and tags/registration? I think of "out the door" as including any taxes, tags/registration and any fees. In MD, taxes add 6% and tags/registration is about $330. So that new 2018 you bought would run me about $48,268 to get it out the door and on the road. I wouldn't buy this used one unless I can get out the door and on the road for under $40k. And I am still looking for other deals...
That was just the price of the Jeep I’m in Massachusetts and we have a 6.25 sales tax and the dealer had a $300 document fee and $125 plate transfer and title app fee I traded my 2015 JKU and got $28500 for it so here in mass we only have to pay out of money for taxes and fees the sales tax on the difference so I paid sales tax on about $15000 We are all still getting screwed and fees but I really love the new JLU Mine actually came from a dealer on Long Island NY I’m pretty sure it was Merrick CJD in Wantaugh or something like that and they had a lot of JLU’s They had another one exactly like mine I got mine in mid December Good luck
Sponsored