Sponsored

Longevity. How long do you plan to keep and drive your Jeep?

Heater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKU Rubicon. 2006 LJ Rubicon. 1984 CJ-7.
With all of the talk of EV’s, etc., I thought it may be interesting to hear some thoughts on how long you initially imagine your Jeep to be retained? Understand that’s an open-ended question given unforeseen variables. Let me try and articulate what I am talking about:

In my case, I bought my new, off the dealer lot, for $7K out the door, 1984 CJ-7 as my first vehicle when I turned 18 and drove it daily until 2004. 148K+ miles of fun with the typical failures along the way such as battery, alternator, radiator, u-joints but it was all easy to fix. I sold it at a loss of $2300 due to my household growing…

Along came the JK. I waited the bug out period and bought a brand new 2009 JKUR while stationed in HI. 130K+ miles and I still enjoy driving it today. I’m putting in a 392 and Katzkin covers this Summer and plan to keep driving it - until whenever.

Just thought to put this out and maybe stimulate thought on plans. I read an article in Road & Track magazine around 1984 that asked why people get rid of their vehicles. Sure it‘s easy to buy new, but these days with the exponential parts availability for Wranglers, my unsolicited opinion is why not keep your Jeep and fix it as it gets older with the better part, etc.

Thanks
Jeep Wrangler JL Longevity.  How long do you plan to keep and drive your Jeep? IMG_2358
Jeep Wrangler JL Longevity.  How long do you plan to keep and drive your Jeep? IMG_2029
for the read and enjoy your vehicle.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I'm keeping my JLU for as long as it makes sense for me to do so.

Sponsored

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
The oldest Jeep I own is a '73 CJ5. The first Jeep that came with a factory V8
Jeep Wrangler JL Longevity.  How long do you plan to keep and drive your Jeep? 73 CJ5 1

My newest Jeep is a '22 392, the second Jeep that came with a factory V8. I plan on keeping the 392 for at least that long, so 50 years more or less. I'll be dead by then, ... but in the meantime, if something breaks it gets replaced with better parts. If it is damaged, it gets repaired.

jromanmd

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I'm with you. I will hold onto my girl for as long as possible. Until I die or until oil disappears. As I told my Attorney when drafting my will:

"When I die, I want to be buried in my Jeep. I've never been in a hole I couldn't get out of. "

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Definitely for a while. My 12yo says he wants it so in due time it may be his.

Love the thing and new ones are too expensive and want to be without car payment for the next several years.

Sponsored

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I worked it out so I should have it paid off just as the extended warranty expires. I'll keep it after that until it starts falling apart... :)

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Forever. I thoroughly enjoy all that's required to take proper care of him. With robust aftermarket support and some tools, I see us being compadres for many moons. Tire rotation day last Saturday.
Jeep Wrangler JL Longevity.  How long do you plan to keep and drive your Jeep? 4B5E1E16-1B55-49B5-89E8-6C80CE63D0E5

Sidewalk

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
I bought mine with the intention of keeping it "forever ". I haven't voluntarily gotten rid of a vehicle in close to 20 years (accidents, divorce).
Sponsored