ragnarlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2020
Hi guys, new-ish Jeep owner here

So I got some Black Rhino wheels paired with some Atturo 35s for my 2020 JL. No rubbing without a lift and seemed like the switch worked like a charm.
Long story short, ran into some pretty bad lug nut issues where it looked like the aftermarket lug nuts were long and strong enough to hold up the new tires. They weren’t and one of the back studs even broke. So Jeep is now in the shop and I am faced with the choice of finding new longer studs and lug nuts vs maybe putting in spacers.
Anyone have any recommendations for what kind of studs I would have to get to hold up 35s? Or should I just keep the stock studs and throw in some spacers? Problem is the tires were already kind of wide enough on the Jeep so I’m not too keen on making them look even wider on the body with the spacers, if that makes sense.
Thanks for any tips.

Jeep Wrangler JL Longer thread wheel studs vs spacers? 842857FA-73E9-4502-8916-FF40794108EF

Jeep Wrangler JL Longer thread wheel studs vs spacers? 14A482BF-EA39-45AB-B611-382BBC6454E6
Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Only time I have had or seen lugs just snap it was a torque issue. This is why I only ever use hand tools when putting tires on.

Reactions: GtX

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
You only need spacers if you want to push the wheels outward because of insufficient clearance from suspension parts. You don’t need longer studs either. However, since one of them broke, I’d consider replacing all 20 of them with new studs. It’s possible that they’ve been seriously over torqued as mentioned, or possibly the wrong type of lug nuts were used.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The torquing and hub - centric possibilities ; look at the base of the studs, all of them show wear on the threads,that would likely indicate movement of the rim, and stretching from over - torquing to compensate. "Hub- centric" means that center hub is meant to do just that, center the wheel so it can't move under acceleration and braking.

OP
OP

ragnarlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2020
Thanks everyone for the replies 👍🏻
I'm gonna replace the studs on the front and back of the Jeep and get the correct lug nuts for the rims that I bought. Hopefully that will take care of the issue. I know the rims are the correct ones for the Jeep since I bought from extreme terrain and the fitment was confirmed by them.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone for the replies 👍🏻
I'm gonna replace the studs on the front and back of the Jeep and get the correct lug nuts for the rims that I bought. Hopefully that will take care of the issue. I know the rims are the correct ones for the Jeep since I bought from extreme terrain and the fitment was confirmed by them.
Great. Just make sure on hub. Sometimes universal fit wheels come with hub centric rings. You may be missing them. Just a suggestion :like:

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Great. Just make sure on hub. Sometimes universal fit wheels come with hub centric rings. You may be missing them. Just a suggestion :like:
^^^This!!!!

If you don’t have hub centric wheels and don’t use centering rings, you will wind up with the same stud issues again.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
That looks like a wheel that was left loose, not over tightened.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ragnarlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2020

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

ragnarlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2020
They should have come with wheels from Extreme. It looks like they are 78.10 wheel and JLU is 71.5. If I am reading this correctly.

Jeep Wrangler JL Longer thread wheel studs vs spacers? 8F474E11-95B9-4362-B0CF-6239AE2EBA9E
Jeep Wrangler JL Longer thread wheel studs vs spacers? 8F474E11-95B9-4362-B0CF-6239AE2EBA9E
Thank you so much man. I wish I had known this sooner. I found the right centering rings thanks to your post. Unfortunately Extreme Terrain didn’t include the rings with the tires and wheels and I’m disappointed in them and myself for not checking sooner.

BAKNBLK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT diesel
^^^This!!!!

If you don’t have hub centric wheels and don’t use centering rings, you will wind up with the same stud issues again.
Sorry that's not true.. been putting on wheels and tires on almost every king of vehicle for over 50 years its got no bearing on studs breaking.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Sorry that's not true.. been putting on wheels and tires on almost every king of vehicle for over 50 years its got no bearing on studs breaking.
If you say so.
Sponsored