Longer driveshaft required?

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
I’ve finally decided on the rough country 2 1/2 inch spacer lift for my 2020 rubi and I will probably be upgrading to the Teraflex shocks as well.

When I install the lift, since I am going to be going with the upgraded shocks, do I just skip the installation of the shock mount extensions?

What changes in the ride will be TeraFlex shocks provide over the factory OEM?

With a 2 1/2 inch lift, is it advisable to get a longer drive shaft(s)? Front, rear, or both?

If If longer drive shafts are needed, I don’t think I would have a problem sourcing them as my nephew is a manager at one of the drivelines Northwest shops here in Washington,
But it would be nice to know ahead of time what to tell my nephew I am looking for because I have absolutely no clue about drivelines composition length what have you, I’m totally clueless
Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
The front driveshaft, with its shorter length, is more subject to lift angles than the rear. Nevertheless, "Common Wisdom" on the internet is that you don't need to upgrade front driveshaft for a 2.5" lift.

Since you're going with a spacer lift - keep it simple. You might even find that shock spacers give a better ride than longer shocks that are tuned to be installed with a different set of springs.

OP
OP
MyDaughters20JL

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
...You might even find that shock spacers give a better ride than longer shocks that are tuned to be installed with a different set of springs.
the teraflex shocks that I was considering are available for a 2.5-3 as well as a 0-2 inch lift: are you suggesting (again, I know shit about suspension) that the 0-2 may give a better ride with shock extensions than the 2.5-3 would without the extensions? keep in mind, I'm coming from a 1 ton ford super crew pickup that was, for the most part, my DD, so I'm pretty well adjusted to a stiffer ride. I just figured that the longer shocks were more compatible with a lift, but I guess I got some edumacating to get ;)

Trill

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL
Your lift height is not what will necessitate a new front driveshaft, your maximum front axle droop will. The two are not always related since droop is limited mostly by your shock's max extended length and has nothing to do with lift or ride height. With 2.5-3" lift shocks you will be fine, drive shaft will come into consideration when you go to 5-6" lift shocks typically.

For the other two questions, don't install the shock extensions, and the ride will be firmer but will absorb high speed bumps better.

OP
OP
MyDaughters20JL

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
Your lift height is not what will necessitate a new front driveshaft, your maximum front axle droop will. The two are not always related since droop is limited mostly by your shock's max extended length and has nothing to do with lift or ride height. With 2.5-3" lift shocks you will be fine, drive shaft will come into consideration when you go to 5-6" lift shocks typically.

For the other two questions, don't install the shock extensions, and the ride will be firmer but will absorb high speed bumps better.
so...the shocks for the 2.5-3 lift & no extensions...perfect! thanks!
Sponsored