Sponsored

Longer drive shaft needed?

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
I'm in the process of installing the most 2 inch lift, which looks like it's going to net a lot more than 2 inches.

I'm also planning to install Metalcloak adjustablealower control arms, and set castor to 6 degrees.

Would any of this warrant a drive shaft swap? Or should I be fine with the stock one?
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
For the front it’s not really about needing a longer one but a smaller diameter one. The boot will get torn from the cross member when flexing. I don’t know if the 2” lift would have the necessary flex to cause damage to it but we replaced ours as cheap insurance. Will be bringing the factory with us as a spare. Not a 5 min swap but less than an hour

Brett

OP
OP
unsavory

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
For the front it’s not really about needing a longer one but a smaller diameter one. The boot will get torn from the cross member when flexing. I don’t know if the 2” lift would have the necessary flex to cause damage to it but we replaced ours as cheap insurance. Will be bringing the factory with us as a spare. Not a 5 min swap but less than an hour

Brett
That's great information, thanks. I'll probably look into one if there is concern of the boot tearing.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone with the Mopar lift has torn their drive shaft boot yet, or experienced any other anomalies like vibration.

mlebofsky

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon softtop
Occupation
Director, DoD
That's great information, thanks. I'll probably look into one if there is concern of the boot tearing.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone with the Mopar lift has torn their drive shaft boot yet, or experienced any other anomalies like vibration.
Has anyone with the MOPAR 2" lift also run any of the bellypan skid plate systems? Wondering if the stock drive shafts become an issue there also ….

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
We've been running the Evo 2.5" lift without caster brackets for almost a year now without any issues on the driveshaft or the boot and that includes some good wheeling where we flexed it out pretty seriously. We've added the caster correction brackets a few months back and still no issues.

Evo story here: http://www.northridgenation.com/how-to-install-the-evo-mfg-2-5-boost-kit-in-your-wrangler-jl/

We've had a Artec Aluminum Belly Pan set-up on it since this past summer, also with no issues at either the front or rear driveshafts.

Artec story here: http://www.northridgenation.com/jeep-artec-bellypan-install/

In general, the JL has plenty of clearance at the front driveshaft and crossmember. We're just finishing up a 4.5" lift on another JLUR today, I'll get pics of the driveshaft to crossmember clearance.
Sponsored