Sponsored

Long term undercarriage corrosion prevention: high end car wash every two months ($50) or Waxoyl Coating ($1500 for 5 years)

In your mind what is the better rust fighting technique for the under carriage of a JL or JLU?

• Get it professionally coated against rust via something like waxoyl. $1500 but guaranteed for 5 yrs

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Car wash every 2 to 3 months. Washes the under body, waxes the paint, conditions the interior, etc.

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
  • Banned
I live in an area where rust is a constant issue (5 miles way from south shore of Long Island). During the summer we get a good sea breeze that keeps the area cooler than NYC or Northern NJ. Although pleasant, it contributes to rust on cars esp the under body. Then in the winter, NYC and Long Island love to use Snow Salt on the roads. The rust is one of the reasons why vehicles in general do not last as long in this part of the country versus a California or Arizona or Texas. Our second vehicle is an 08 Altima and boy is it rusty underneath!

Kind of don't want the same issue to happen to my JLUR as I intend to keep it for as loooooong as I possibly can. I am basically split between having it taken to my local car wash every 2 or 3 months as they do a good job washing the underbody as well. I was thinking about using their "Platinum" services as that gets me a full wash, undercarriage wash, shampooed mats, a hot wax, leather interior conditioned amongst many things. Reference: https://www.poorancarwash.com/auto-detailing-packages

My second option is to get the under body coated with Waxoyl for about $1500. We have a local guy here who will need the Jeep for about 3 days from me and then coat the under carriage plus the Engine bay. He backs the $1500 with a 5 year guarantee.

Which one sounds like a better deal? So far, I was leaning towards the regular car wash as I do not wheel much (just some dune riding twice or maybe 3 times a summer). Cost is not a big concern because the Waxoyl guy does a very good job. People from as far as PA come to get it done from him for Land Rovers, 70s Muscle, old CJs, etc. As a result he is booked months in advance and is looking at November now for appointments.
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
5 years doesn't seem like a long warranty, assuming
"Perforation". That's $300 per year, if you did nothing, it wouldn't rust through in 5 years anyway....

OP
OP
Punjabi New Yorker

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
  • Banned
You need a do nothing.
Honestly if I was living in TX I would completely agree with you. But for us folks on the coast, rust is a way of life. It is the reason why people need to change cars here every 7 years or so. I on the other hand want to keep this Jeep for more than 7 years.

Jamin55

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor, Audi Q8, VW Tiguan
Honestly if I was living in TX I would completely agree with you. But for us folks on the coast, rust is a way of life. It is the reason why people need to change cars here every 7 years or so. I on the other hand want to keep this Jeep for more than 7 years.
Live in Vermont and had Waxoyl applied last year. Cost was 799. The 1500 seems exorbitant. Has to be inspected and potentiality be reapplied in high wear spots yearly.

Sponsored

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
I live in Maine where salt on the roads is a constant menace to vehicles and Moose. I have had my vehicles sprayed underneath every year with hot Bar and Chain oil. On the first application the shop that does it drills 3/16 holes into all the hidden voids in the body work. After the first application the holes are plugged with removable plugs to be removed every year for re-application. After application, the vehicle has to sit for several hours on an absorbent mat to let it drip out. My daily driver is a 1999 K1500 Suburban with 275,000 miles and no undercarriage rust that has been my daily since 2000.

About the Moose. They come out onto the roads in the Spring to lick up the remaining salt and get struck by vehicles. Lots of collision deaths of Moose, Deer and People every year up here the the Northeast.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I live in the Tri-state area. I wouldn't trust a car wash to actually wash your undercarriage and I personally don't think the undercarriage coating is worth it at that price for 5 years. Why don't you get a couple of bottles of fluid film every year, which is about $20-$25 and apply every fall? Just make sure to do a good job rinsing the undercarriage before hand. It'll cost pennies in the long run and do a great job of defending against rust too. Doesn't take too long to apply.

OP
OP
Punjabi New Yorker

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
  • Banned
I live in the Tri-state area. I wouldn't trust a car wash to actually wash your undercarriage and I personally don't think the undercarriage coating is worth it at that price for 5 years. Why don't you get a couple of bottles of fluid film every year, which is about $20-$25 and apply every fall? Just make sure to do a good job rinsing the undercarriage before hand. It'll cost pennies in the long run and do a great job of defending against rust too. Doesn't take too long to apply.
My issue is how to get underneath the undercarriage. I am not exactly mechanically inclined yet as this is my first vehicle that I have gotten so involved with (lack of experience). But I will Google it and get the necessary hardware locally.

How many bottles of fluid film should I get from Lowe’s for once a year application for a four door factory stock Rubicon?

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
My issue is how to get underneath the undercarriage. I am not exactly mechanically inclined yet as this is my first vehicle that I have gotten so involved with (lack of experience). But I will Google it and get the necessary hardware locally.

How many bottles of fluid film should I get from Lowe’s for once a year application for a four door factory stock Rubicon?
Hypothetically a lift and jack stands but you don’t even need that. I just crawl under there’s enough ground clearance. It’s a PITA but more than doable. I’m not sure if you change your oil one your own either but this is one of the easiest vehicles to DIY on too. The pan is easily reached.

I would get two. You should finish one and use some of the second. If you don’t like how it goes than follow through with your other options.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/the-end-all-fluid-film-thread.1267809/

More info than you could read on the other forum.

OP
OP
Punjabi New Yorker

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hypothetically a lift and jack stands but you don’t even need that. I just crawl under there’s enough ground clearance. It’s a PITA but more than doable. I’m not sure if you change your oil one your own either but this is one of the easiest vehicles to DIY on too. The pan is easily reached.

I would get two. You should finish one and use some of the second. If you don’t like how it goes than follow through with your other options.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/the-end-all-fluid-film-thread.1267809/

More info than you could read on the other forum.
Think I should be able to get underneath. I am a skinny one, lol (5’11, 185 pounds).

after this labor day weekend, I was going to slap the hardtop back on for winter and then head to the carwash. After the wash, I will get underneath and use the fluid film. My local Lowe’s has plenty of 12oz bottles in stock for $9.99

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fluid-Film...MI1umKl-7Q6wIV0ODICh0S2gfbEAQYASABEgJDEfD_BwE