Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jku 75th anniversary, 2018 JlU rubicon
Occupation
Homeland security
Noob question I know.

But if I go with a spacer lift I will i regret it later vs just getting spring lift.

I'm almost ready to order the skyjacker 1.5 with black max or monotube shocks. I'm trying to hold out to see if teraflex makes a small spacer lift.

I kinda don't like the idea of shock extensions for long term.

Also what's the pro and cons of the 95 monotube shocks vs the black max? It' sounds like the black max are more the stock rubi. And I want to keep the ride feel as close to factory as possible if not improved.
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
If you add spacers nothing will really change. Ride will be the same. I’m going to run my spacers for a few years. I will add longer shocks when Fox comes out with them. I love the way this thing rides and drives. I had a Synergy lift on my JK. Great but expensive. Not sure I’m going to add springs in the future or not. Spacers are spacers. If you go that route I wouldn’t spend a lot.

OP
OP
Sschmittou

Sschmittou

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jku 75th anniversary, 2018 JlU rubicon
Occupation
Homeland security
I guess I also wondering about the life expectancy of spacers. Is it some thing that wears out faster than springs?

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I guess I also wondering about the life expectancy of spacers. Is it some thing that wears out faster than springs?
No. I have never really seen one wear out. I’m sure it’s a possibility and probably a couple examples but I’m sure they will last longer than any springs.

ROAM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.roamoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Its pretty difficult to mess up making spacers. They should not "wear out" because they have no moving parts and they're not meant to deform before the spring does. If the spacers are the correct fitment/application they should be okay. The only way that they'll fail before the spring does is if there is extreme corrosion or if they are not made properly which is unlikely.

The primary advantage of springs over spacers is the amount of suspension travel. When you add spacers you're not actually adding suspension travel, you're just adding height. If the same amount of height was added to both the springs and the shocks in the form of shock extension brackets, then the shocks should be fine as well. If you're going with springs that give you additional lift, e.g. 2.5" lift springs, and you don't have bump stop extensions installed, then you'll need new shocks that also have an additional 2.5" of travel.

Springs though do however have a spring rate which will vary between different manufacturers/vendors. I would recommend looking for a kit that has a comfortable ride if you're going that route.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Noob question I know.

But if I go with a spacer lift I will i regret it later vs just getting spring lift.

I'm almost ready to order the skyjacker 1.5 with black max or monotube shocks. I'm trying to hold out to see if teraflex makes a small spacer lift.

I kinda don't like the idea of shock extensions for long term.

Also what's the pro and cons of the 95 monotube shocks vs the black max? It' sounds like the black max are more the stock rubi. And I want to keep the ride feel as close to factory as possible if not improved.
Honestly I wouldn't really consider it a concern. A buddy of mine has run the same budget boost with shock extensions on three different JK's he's owned since 2007. He's wheeled it all over Moab, Colorado and a bunch of other places with no real issues or problems that I'm aware of. A benefit of using spacers with the stock suspension is you get to take advantage of the millions of dollars that Jeep spent on finding the right spring rate and shock valving for your vehicle.
Sponsored