OP
Cal_JLU

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
We

We're in same boat. I'm a tall 6'4" (well over 6'5" with shoes on) with a 36" inseam. GF's JK not good for my legs. Upset to hear about this issue not being resolved.
There still may be hope for guys like us and the JL. Like I said, the brake pedal was fully depressed and I couldn't get the full flex out of it. When it comes to people of our proportions and cars, every inch counts.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Look at 0:35 in this video. The guy is roughly 6'0" I think and the lack of room for his head is shocking.

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
That’s exactly what I was thinking, he seems to tower over the roof line and clearly has to duck down to get in.

Axe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 1500, 2014 FJ Cruiser
My concern is width - I'm so used to my legs not hitting a door or console in my Ram and FJ, not sure if I could daily something if theyre rubbing up against. I sat in a JK with hand crank windows (which I would never buy anything with 1940's windows), and my knee was effectively right against the hand crank. Though I had a 2011 with power windows, I cant remember how comfortable I was or wasn't!

OP
OP
Cal_JLU

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
That’s exactly what I was thinking, he seems to tower over the roof line and clearly has to duck down to get in.
I had no issues with headroom and I've got another 5 inches on him. You're probably looking at his hair, plus we don't know how high or low that seat was.

Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I had no issues with headroom and I've got another 5 inches on him. You're probably looking at his hair, plus we don't know how high or low that seat was.
head room was a very serious issue in JK, not to the top, but to sport bar plastic crap sticking out. Spent a good deal of time at dealer and we got close but no dice on every possible adjustment on seat. I am 6'4" have a big head so my side to side head reach is going to be more than most peoples, but it still could have been built differently to avoid alot of the problem. in any event, its not a "maybe there is is an issue", there is a real issue for alot of sized peoples.

The JL appears to maybe have more room to sports bar stuff, but its unclear from the video, small details make a huge difference. Till I get in one I guess and pull the seat back I guess I am not gonna know.

OP
OP
Cal_JLU

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
head room was a very serious issue in JK, not to the top, but to sport bar plastic crap sticking out. Spent a good deal of time at dealer and we got close but no dice on every possible adjustment on seat. I am 6'4" have a big head so my side to side head reach is going to be more than most peoples, but it still could have been built differently to avoid alot of the problem. in any event, its not a "maybe there is is an issue", there is a real issue for alot of sized peoples.

The JL appears to maybe have more room to sports bar stuff, but its unclear from the video, small details make a huge difference. Till I get in one I guess and pull the seat back I guess I am not gonna know.
The new sports bar design is a lot thinner. I would hit my head on the sports bar in the JK, but that's not the case with the JL.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
The new sports bar design is a lot thinner. I would hit my head on the sports bar in the JK, but that's not the case with the JL.
Cool, I am definitely getting my hopes up, and will deal with some leg banging unless its insane or makes my foot have to bend backwards.

The styling on the JL really is a work of art, friggen instant classic imho

OP
OP
Cal_JLU

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
The styling on the JL really is a work of art, friggen instant classic imho
Dude, my sentiments exactly. I've thought about it over and over again and I'll take some slight discomfort to have the ultimate utilitarian, go anywhere -in almost any fashion- rig. I was looking forward to the new Bronco, but with IFS it will never be able to go the places a Wrangler can go. Ditto for every other "competitor" for the Wrangler out there.

OP
OP
Cal_JLU

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
How is the overall room in the front seat of the JL compared to the JK(Minus the Brake pedal issue?) I was a little concerned the extended armrest on the door, and raised center console may cause issues for me.
The overall room is good, especially now that the sports bar is integrated into the frame and therefore a lot thinner because it doesn't need all the extra rigidity the bolt-on configuration provided in the JK. So headroom and comfort is greatly improved. I actually tried to hit my head by tilting the seat back to the point where I knew in the JK I would have done it, and it wasn't happening .

Can anyone comment further on whether or not seat relocation brackets compromise safety?

This was a mod that was considering but not if it's less safe.
I had a car once that I was going to modify the seating position via seat brackets that would have put the seat further back. I called multiple shops where it was known that they specialized in this sort of modification. I found shops that either stopped doing it for legal reasons and the ones that did do it made you sign a waiver releasing them from any responsibility should the brackets impair the safety of the car in the event of an accident. That was enough to warrant selling the car and getting something else. To each their own, but for me it's too much of a gamble considering all the driving I do, especially out here in California -which also probably has something to do with the regulatory environment that effects the willingness of businesses to perform such a modification on a car.

Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Head room isn't just a function of height. I'm only 5'-11" but am long in the torso with really short inseam. I have to put my seats all the way down to avoid hitting my head on the roof in most sedans.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
This is my concern as well, I am 6'7" with a 36" inseam. My brother has a 2017 JK and I can "fit" but my head was really close to the sports bar. It was one of the reasons I sold my 2008 JKU. I really do not "fit" 100% comfortably in any vehicle, but I am hoping the new JLU is at least safe to drive. There are still only JLU in transit around me so once one gets here I will go check it out.
Sponsored