Sponsored

Long legs and the JL don't mix...

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
Or at least that's the way it appears to be. Had the opportunity to sit in the Granite Grey Sahara at the L.A. Auto Show. It's a very similar issue for me in the JK; it seems as though the brake pedal sits further up than the accelerator for what I'd assume is easy reach for individuals with shorter legs. I was pretty bummed to have experienced this being that I was really hoping Jeep had resolved this issue over the JK. The one thing that could help -or not- is that the brake pedal had no give in the JL I sat in because it had been depressed so many times already -if there's a term for that, I'm completely ignorant to it. Once they hit the lots, I'll give it a proper test drive to see if it feels any better then. For clarification I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam. And no, I would not unbolt the seat rails to move the seat further back since that would compromise safety in the event of a an accident.
Sponsored

JDMRN81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU, 2018 GC Altitude
Occupation
RN, doctoral student
I'm only 5'10" with 32" inseams and that's one of my complaints with my JKU. I can live with it but man for those of you who are taller I feel for ya.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
And no, I would not unbolt the seat rails to move the seat further back since that would compromise safety in the event of a an accident.
This can be done safely. The airbags are still in play, and the seat belts are anchored to the tub & sport bar.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseem. The only issue I really have on the JK is my legs resting against the door lock. Other than that, I actually find the JK to be comfortable(minus the lack of lumbar support in the stock seats.) I never noticed the brake issue, but now that you point it out I probably will.
How is the overall room in the front seat of the JL compared to the JK(Minus the Brake pedal issue?) I was a little concerned the extended armrest on the door, and raised center console may cause issues for me.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon
I had an XJ in the past and the brake and gas were at similar levels. There were more than a few occasions where I would mash both the gas and the brake when trying to go. Being 6'4" with a 34" inseam but wide feet makes me really appreciate where my JK petals sit. Unless you want to do brake-torques all day, the space is actually quite good for safety.

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner
Can anyone comment further on whether or not seat relocation brackets compromise safety?

This was a mod that was considering but not if it's less safe.

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
One of the few times I'm glad I'm vertically challenged (5'7", 30" inseam) is when car buying... You tall guys have other advantages...lol

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
One of the few times I'm glad I'm vertically challenged (5'7", 30" inseam) is when car buying... You tall guys have other advantages...lol
Don't forget when flying Coach either, LOL.

Sponsored

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone comment further on whether or not seat relocation brackets compromise safety?

This was a mod that was considering but not if it's less safe.
I can't say that I'm 100% certain, but on the XJ it did not seem to compromise the integrity of the seat/brackets at all. If anything my ability to quickly get on/off the brake or gas felt much safer.

OP
OP
Cal_JLU

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
This can be done safely. The airbags are still in play, and the seat belts are anchored to the tub & sport bar.
There's a reason why adjusting the seat rails voids the factory warranty. Modifying them from their original state nullifies any and all crash test results conducted internally by the manufacture, since the geometry of the seats has changed completely against the stock configuration.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
There's a reason why adjusting the seat rails voids the factory warranty. Modifying them from their original state nullifies any and all crash test results conducted internally by the manufacture, since the geometry of the seats has changed completely against the stock configuration.
True as that may be, we are free to alter our Jeeps as we see fit. And moving the seat rail back 1-3" won't have a great effect on your safety.

Pretty sure Shaq's Jeep is well outside of the original design constraints, but he had his altered so he could fit. I'd still ride in it.

west-coast-customs-jeep-wrangler-rear-view.jpg

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
We
Or at least that's the way it appears to be. Had the opportunity to sit in the Granite Grey Sahara at the L.A. Auto Show. It's a very similar issue for me in the JK; it seems as though the brake pedal sits further up than the accelerator for what I'd assume is easy reach for individuals with shorter legs. I was pretty bummed to have experienced this being that I was really hoping Jeep had resolved this issue over the JK. The one thing that could help -or not- is that the brake pedal had no give in the JL I sat in because it had been depressed so many times already -if there's a term for that, I'm completely ignorant to it. Once they hit the lots, I'll give it a proper test drive to see if it feels any better then. For clarification I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam. And no, I would not unbolt the seat rails to move the seat further back since that would compromise safety in the event of a an accident.
We're in same boat. I'm a tall 6'4" (well over 6'5" with shoes on) with a 36" inseam. GF's JK not good for my legs. Upset to hear about this issue not being resolved.
Sponsored