Long Haul Boat Towing with JLU Sport

WiltonJeep

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I bought a new boat, so over the weekend I took my current boat (2500 LBS) to North Carolina to trade in and brought my new boat ( 3300 LBS) back to south Florida. The trip was a total of 1900 miles. On the way up with the lighter boat, I had no problem going 65 MPH on the highway. I have a standard transmission and I rarely made it to 5th gear and I got about 15 MPG.

On the way back with the new bigger boat, there were no issues, however the heavier weight did make me uncomfortable to drive over 60 MPH and at that speed the jeep had no problems towing. I never made it out of 4th gear and I had to use 3rd gear on hills and bridges. I got 10 MPG on this part of the trip, however, I had borrowed a friends boat trailer and I thought it weighed 300-400 LBS. After the trip I found out that it actually weighs 1000 LBS, so I over the 3500 LBS tow capacity.

I have a boat dock, so there won't be that much towing my my future, however I wouldn't have a problem towing locally but I wouldn't want to do another long haul trip with the bigger boat.

jeep.jpg

Jeep1.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Stanklizard

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Awesome to see this I'm thinking of taking my boat on a road trip(roughly 18 hour drive) I own a 19ft stingray roughly 2500lbs so was curious how well it might pull

OP
OP
WiltonJeep

WiltonJeep

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
We had no problems towing the first boat which weighs about 2500LBS plus the trailer. We barely noticed it was behind us most of the time, however we stayed in the slow lane and went about 60 MPH maybe a little more.
Sponsored

Reactions: aai