Sponsored

Long-distance buying, what about warranty work/issues?

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Willys
It's looking like I can save thousands buying or ordering a Jeep from Travis here from the forums or an out of state dealership than I can find in my hometown. But what's the deal when something goes wrong or you need a repair under warranty? Are you expected to get a broken down Jeep 500+ miles to the dealership where you purchased it, or does Jeep send you to the closest dealership? Sorry if this is an obvious question or has been asked before; this will be the first new vehicle I've ever purchased.
Sponsored

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
No, I would use your local dealer. They make more money off service anyways. I am sure they aren't going to turn down $100+ labor rates.

OP
OP
Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Good to know, thanks. Hopefully they don't resent me for test driving their Jeeps and buying elsewhere!

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I did actually have one issue years ago with a Nissan dealership that wouldn't do warranty work on my ex-wife's car. (they said they do warranty work as favor to their customers and said they were booked for 60 days for noncustomers, the car had an oil leak) OK, I don't what their problem was. I had bought the car local to where I lived, this dealer was within walking distance of my work.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Any jeep dealership in the US will still give you your 6qt oil changes, unplug everything, and may take your jeep off roading to test it.

it's part of the jeep wave thing.

Since the dealership service is so uniform across the US.

You might want to look into doing your own fluids, most of the stuff your jeep needs(outside of warranty) can be done with a nice 1/2 drive socket set in your parking place. Because stands are not needed for clearance, oil changes at home run me about 15 bucks and maybe 15 minutes.

Sponsored

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Good to know, thanks. Hopefully they don't resent me for test driving their Jeeps and buying elsewhere!
They probably won't remember. The service department probably isn't comparing notes with the sales department unless it is really small dealership.

mlkmet88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler JKU Sport
Recommend you take off any other dealer badging i.e. sticker or license plates holders and on you first service they will register your vehicle in their system and you will start get endless mail from them. Should not have issue. If anyone asked why you did not buy from them say they did not have this vehicle within 100 miles of this dealer or say you just moved the area.
Sponsored