Lol @ Discount Tire...

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
I took the Jeep in on Saturday to the tires rotated. As they were finishing up, one of the counter guys called me up to the desk. He informed me that they had to put 9oz. worth of weights on the wheels & that it's time to replace them. These tires have just over 18k miles on them.
Anybody else replacing tires with that much tread left on them? I'm certainly not!

20220724_100156.jpg
Sponsored

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
Lol, the sales guys at discount are terrible. I’ve heard all kinds of wacky stuff from them trying to sell new tires. You can see the wear bar hidden down in the depths of the tread in your tire photo. Maybe ask the sales guy why that little bump is there?

Sponsored

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
I had a set of those Mud Hogs on my Tundra and had a problem with separation in one of the tires.The wear wasn't much more than you have on yours.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Why are they rebalancing when doing a rotation? I never have a tire rebalanced unless there is a vibration.

MNGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392 XR - 2022 Power Wagon
I brought my 5 week old 392 into the local @discounttire and just authorized them to swap out the OEM tires for my new 37s. They replaced my OEM TPMS with some generic TPMS. When I went to pay the bill it was $170.00. I asked why the price was so high, the manager chuckled and stated it was originally $260.00 but he market it down and stated there are extra fees for the over sized tires. It didn't dawn on me until a few days later I noticed the valve stem caps were different. When I called the customer service they stated there was no reason that bill should have been $260.00 to unmount and remount the tires. Kinda sad they lost a customer who has spent a lot of money with their company over the years to perform unauthorized work to pad a bill.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Looks like you have plenty of tread remaining. It the tire requires excessive weights, rotate the wheel in the tire 180 degrees and road force balance the tire/wheel assembly.

Sponsored

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Admittedly, I've only been to Discount Tire a few times, and not for my Jeep at all, but so far I've been pleased with the service. The only knock I have is I needed new rims for a car and had picked some out online that the website said was in stock and could be shipped to the local store within 3-5 days. But when I called to place the order, I was told they were not available. The guy did spend time with me on the phone while I was on their website discussing some other options until we found some to order, a bit more expensive than the originals, but pretty close in price and design.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I wouldn't trigger on the fact that he told you it may be time to replace them (which, as you said, you were able to simply decline). At least he took the time to tell you that they took a lot of weight to balance, which may be a good indicator of poor wear due to inflation/alignment. Knowing lets you take some action to make sure you don't end up with cupped tires that drive like crap.

If they're all taking 9+ oz, it very well may just be poor qc on the tires, and that's what they take. Remember that's more than half a pound of weight to get them to balance.

thegeedawg

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
BTW - Do they do 5 tire rotation?