LoD Signature mid-width Front Bumper installation question

Bad324

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Sport
I am struggling to figure out how to get the 4 outer bolts secured that attach the bumper to the winch plate and frame. The 4 inner ones were no problem but I can’t get my hand back there to get the washer and nut on let alone a wrench to hold the nut to tighten.

Anyone installed one of these and can tell me what I’m doing wrong.
Sponsored

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
If you are struggling then you are probably doing it correctly! Those outer four were challenging....

I slid a crescent wrench just between the bumper and front of the winch plate/frame from the center towards the outside, then with some difficulty got the crescent wrench around the nut. on the backside. Once you start tightening from behind the bumper/frame the crescent wrench would catch on something and hold in place while I tightened each one.

The other option would be those crescent wrenches with the heads that can bend 90 degrees??

I am struggling to figure out how to get the 4 outer bolts secured that attach the bumper to the winch plate and frame. The 4 inner ones were no problem but I can’t get my hand back there to get the washer and nut on let alone a wrench to hold the nut to tighten.

Anyone installed one of these and can tell me what I’m doing wrong.

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Installed one today. I was able to hold the nut with 2 fingers and reach in from the center( winch area) have someone turn the bolt to start it. A open end wrench , going in the same way, reached the nuts easily, and have someone tighten the bolt. It’s doable, but having someone to help was a plus.

OP
OP
Bad324

Bad324

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Sport
Installed one today. I was able to hold the nut with 2 fingers and reach in from the center( winch area) have someone turn the bolt to start it. A open end wrench , going in the same way, reached the nuts easily, and have someone tighten the bolt. It’s doable, but having someone to help was a plus.
Did you have all 4 bolts in when you did this? I ask because I tried getting my hand back there but couldn’t get past the inner bolts. I don’t have massive hands but they also aren’t small either. I’ll give this another try tomorrow. Was too worn out to remove the inner bolts and try to do the outer ones first

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Keep your hand flat and put the nut between your index and middle finger. Another option would be to use tape to stick the nut to the open end wrench and pull the bolt out so that it’s flush and turn the bolt until it engages with the nut. We had the inner bolts in when we did the outers. We did have the spacers positioned to move the bumper out the max. Which would made the bolts less proud getting your hand in there.

Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered this bumper a few days ago. Other than the bolts, how hard was the install?

Do you mount the entire bumper and then put in the winch?

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
The nut taped to the wrench was also key when I installed mine.

One option (for the OP) is to remove one of those inner bolts on either side to give you better access to the outer nuts/bolts in the gap in front of the winch plate. I could not fit my hands in that gap when both inner bolts were already installed, which I why I went the route of the wrench-taped nuts.

Keep your hand flat and put the nut between your index and middle finger. Another option would be to use tape to stick the nut to the open end wrench and pull the bolt out so that it’s flush and turn the bolt until it engages with the nut. We had the inner bolts in when we did the outers. We did have the spacers positioned to move the bumper out the max. Which would made the bolts less proud getting your hand in there.

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I just ordered this bumper a few days ago. Other than the bolts, how hard was the install?

Do you mount the entire bumper and then put in the winch?
Pull old bumper off. Install the included winch plate and winch and then install the bumper. Make sure to install lights into bumper before installation. 2.5 hrs tops. Hardest part was removing all the screws and plastic rivets to get the wiring harness out of the old bumper.

OP
OP
Bad324

Bad324

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Sport
Thanks all, the bumper is on! Was able to get my hand in there loosening the inner bolts.

I am not looking forward to doing this again when I get a winch. also hoping I can get fog lights on without removing since USPS has lost my package and I couldn’t wait to get the bumper on

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
glad you got it installed. I was able to get the lights and winch on after the install, as long as it's not a super large winch. the lights were a little more difficult being partly behind where those winch plate bolts are, but still possible.

Thanks all, the bumper is on! Was able to get my hand in there loosening the inner bolts.

I am not looking forward to doing this again when I get a winch. also hoping I can get fog lights on without removing since USPS has lost my package and I couldn’t wait to get the bumper on

Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
That’s good to hear. Sounds like my bumper will ship this week so hopefully I should get it in a little while. I picked up a harbor freight Apex 12k winch so I’m just waiting for the bumper to arrive. It is a bigger winch so hopefully I’m able to figure it out and get it mounted.

Thanks for the tips!

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@Bad324

do you have any pics of the mid width bumper installed. i'm looking at the lod bumper.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I haven’t installed fogs yet but you get the idea

788C5636-6C5E-4689-A1C4-07E8D701C879.jpeg
perfect. that gives me a great view how it looks. one more request. what is the measurement from the widest part of the bumper. the top part from end to end, is it 63" also the opening for the winch.