Sponsored

LOD destroyer sliders: any issues with installation?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
i am thinking about these steps/sliders. Any issues with installation?

The nuts that need to be removed from the frame brackets; any issues? What did you re-torque to?
Weld grinding... as described in the installation guide. Anyone have to do it?
Any other issues?

Did you drill the optional holes or not?

Help me decide.....
Sponsored

JurassicJeep12

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jpmotorpool.com
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler (Leslie), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Land Raider)
Occupation
Warehouse Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same questions. Watching this thread with interest.

Also wants to know if anyone regrets getting it pre-coated and wants to re-coat it with something different or more durable?

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

The nuts that need to be removed from the frame brackets; any issues? What did you re-torque to?
Any other issues?

Help me decide.....
I had no issues installing these by myself with the assistance of a short 2x6 on top of my floor jack.

I did not have to grind anything. I don’t recall what I torqued them to. No issues getting the bolts out. Is a tiny bit challenging getting the slider brackets lined up over the body mounts, but with some wiggling I got them on. Use a step drill bit for the optional bolts. Honestly felt pretty sturdy without the optional bolts.

Only had mine on since early December but the pain has held up well. No rusting to speak of. Someone opened their car door into the slider and it did chip a little bit of paint. I touched that up last weekend and inspected for other spots and found no other issues or rust.

Install time: under an hour if not doing the optional bolts. About 2 hours with doing them. Likely way faster if you have someone helping.

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the LOD Signature Sliders, which install similarly.

The nuts that need to be removed from the frame brackets; any issues?
Nope. I used an impact wrench.

There were a couple of welds that needed grinding. I just knocked off the highest points (I didn't grind it completely smooth) and then touched-up with automotive primer and satin black spray paint for rust protection. The grinding just took a couple of moments, but obviously there was some delay while waiting for paint to dry. I suggest dry-fitting your sliders first, and then determining which welds, if any, need a little knock-down.

Absolutely. It didn't add much to the project, but I figured if I was going to bother to put a serious slider on (instead of basic body-mounted steps that would have been much easier to install) I should make sure it was securely attached.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

Any other issues?

Help me decide.....
Just installed a pair on the 4 dr Rubi. No issues at all; did the rubi rail removal and install of the destroyers with my 13 year old son as the muscle in about 1.5 hours total; which included some time to teach him how to use a socket and impact.

My frame was clean and no drippy welds to grind.

I installed with the two optional front thru-bolts and will eventually drill and tap the rear two optional.

Very happy with them. This weekend we’re installing the LOD Destroyer front bumper.....

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Thanks for the info above folks! I appreciate it!

Nychang75

First Name
NICHOLAS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
2021 JLUR-D. Fitment was absolutely perfect. Someone else said it best, the tolerances on this aftermarket product is quite impressive. I was really impressed. These rails are crazy beefy. And heavy. I was able to do the entire install solo so it can be done but getting these rails up on my legs and jiggling them into the body mounts was challenging.

Now, In my assessment, the "1st" optional hole to be drilled on the front passenger side is an absolute must if you plan on any offroading whatsoever, even light trail riding. The 1st optional hole provides necessary lateral support in securing the rail to the frame. Without this 1st hole, there is only one vertical bolt securing the front end with the "Z shaped" flag nut which means any side impact from obstacles is going to be a major problem. The lone vertical bolt taking side impact will substantially weaken this anchor point. Again to emphasize the front bolt is secured to a flag nut, so on its own is just not that strong. Drill the first hole to 1/2 inch width. I did not have a 1/2 inch straight bit, instead i bought a titanium step bit from OReillys for 9 bucks. On the inner rail side of this hole i used an L-shaped extension arm to drill that side. In retrospect i wish i had used a straight bit to punch right through, would have made it easier. Definitely use oil to lubricate the bit, made it easier, faster, and is frankly a lot safer as you will get mini shrapnel coming off the frame.

As for the second and third optional holes, drill to 7/16 and then install the tap screw. Unfortunately i stripped one of the holes so i will be buying a 1/2 inch class 5 tap screw at a local store. The rear half of the rails are very strong though, even without the optional 2 and 3 holes. I say this because even without, the rear hand is secured by 6 bolts each.

20210817_231611.jpg

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
I installed these on a 2018 that I have since sold. I used an impact drill and they went on fairly easily.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I installed mine Dec 2018 and took them off October 2020. Even with all the optional bolts installed I ended up with creases in the body panels on both sides of the vehicle the full length of the sliders. To be fair I pounded on them frequently off-road. I really thought they’d hold up to the abuse better, but I don’t necessarily fault LOD for it. That’s the price of admission unfortunately

Nychang75

First Name
NICHOLAS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
I installed mine Dec 2018 and took them off October 2020. Even with all the optional bolts installed I ended up with creases in the body panels on both sides of the vehicle the full length of the sliders. To be fair I pounded on them frequently off-road. I really thought they’d hold up to the abuse better, but I don’t necessarily fault LOD for it. That’s the price of admission unfortunately
What did u replace with ? Just curious

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
What did u replace with ? Just curious
Metalcloak Overline. They tuck up much higher and closer than the LOD’s and I find that I rarely hit them. The LOD’s sit so low they were getting hit all the time. I sure do miss the step though!

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
They are PITA to install. At least mine have quality issues, holes don’t line up on my driver side. I did not drill holes in the back.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Fit on my 2 door was terrible. I should not have to stack 1/4" of washers under the frame and 1/2" of washers on the side of the frame to get adequate clearance from the body. Just to be clear, no washers were needed in the rear. The front driver needed 1/4" on the side and the passenger side needed washers as above.

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Just installed some LOD Destroyers on a four door. Both went on easy but noticed the passenger side front was touching the pinch weld snd body. Had to remove and try and position better so it wasn’t touching. It’s better now and about half inch from the body now on the front. The driver side had no issues.
First two pics are the passenger front after first try on install. (Shot from underneath).
Fourth pic is after adjusting.

Jeep Wrangler JL LOD destroyer sliders: any issues with installation? 1A70B540-4B58-4FED-A5A2-998F3039CE12

Jeep Wrangler JL LOD destroyer sliders: any issues with installation? 1BCF2D3A-054C-414C-ACC1-805F926015CC

Jeep Wrangler JL LOD destroyer sliders: any issues with installation? BA16AF9F-672C-49F5-80D8-FC660ACEB14E

Jeep Wrangler JL LOD destroyer sliders: any issues with installation? 9219B601-4408-4A7D-A9E9-35A701B9E615

Jeep Wrangler JL LOD destroyer sliders: any issues with installation? 4B87AA1E-DBAE-4076-8C91-585E72A74B18

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed some LOD Destroyers on a four door. Both went on easy but noticed the passenger side front was touching the pinch weld snd body. Had to remove and try and position better so it wasn’t touching. It’s better now and about half inch from the body now on the front. The driver side had no issues.
First two pics are the passenger front after first try on install. (Shot from underneath).
Fourth pic is after adjusting.

Jeep Wrangler JL LOD destroyer sliders: any issues with installation? 4B87AA1E-DBAE-4076-8C91-585E72A74B18

Not sure what your repositioning method was, but make sure and put some large washers up front against the frame where you had to drill the holes. This will help keep it off the body as the sliders flex. Even then, mine bent up into the body and creased both sides of the Jeep the length of the sliders. If you aren’t going to hit them on rocks you’ll be fine
Sponsored