Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@lodoffroad

As your biggest fan, and a fan that could be wrong, in fact hopes he is, here are my top two design concerns. Please know these thoughts come from a place where I wish your product to be the best it can be, not to steer readers away from it.

The first concern is load weight fully cantilevered/extended. On this, we'll simply have to "wait on the weight," or to put this another way, wait and see what your testing reveals as safe amounts of load the rack can take fully cantilever. As you mentioned, you've moved a large amount of weight to the rack's fully open position, and shown us a "freakin snowmobile at 3/8 open" but what "can" be achieved weight-wise, and what's a safe limit for regular in use repetition may by lower.

Worst case scenario, if the rack is best fully extended with little or no gear, (and it probably will be a lot more than that) that may still be a very livable solution. The rack can be emptied at a camp sight and then fully cantilever as an awning. And while the rig is in motion, if the best reasons to "pop a top" (Freedom Panels, soft top) are air and view: the second's largely negated by a closed rack full of gear above anyway.

~~~~~

My second concern is the use of ball bearing draw slide technology in environments not protected from the elements. Perhaps those slides you use are somehow outdoor rated: and I don't mean them merely stainless steel, but far more my concern lies with the gunk that can collect in the bearings during an off roading trip and gum them up.

Maybe--even if such gunk is a legitimate concern--nothing more than a hosing down and re-greasing puts them back in service. That would be very acceptable IMHO. But I've never seen such slides used outside, except in situations where the parts of the slides that remain fixed are encapsulated in say an enclosed truck bed, or an internal compartment of a service truck. I could be entirely wrong.

If my concern, as stated, is for the best product, I'd be remiss to be critical (and possibly entirely wrong) and not offer suggestion. My inspiration comes from "mail slots:" those things in a home's front door through which letters pass, but hopefully not the elements.

The area of focus is the brush strip/weather stripping:

brushstrip.jpg

or the stuff in the last photo below.

Much though I don't wish to raise cost, envision the design of the area to which the sliders affix to the rack structure looking more like u-channel:

u-channel.jpg

with brush stripping

brushstrip2.jpg

on top, bottom, and perhaps sides to protect closed slides from the elements. This stuff, like the slides, could be slid out to gain access to the fixed slider channel to grease/clean it.

I hope this suggestion is not needed and I am wrong.

Peace brother.
Sponsored

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Hey here are some new picts for you guys. One is rack fully open the others are of the ladder attachment.

full extention.jpg

ladder .jpg

climbing ladder.jpg
Very excited to see this finally hitting the market. I've had my eyes on it ever since I installed your Signature Series Front Bumper. Will this be a bolt on application or is there drilling required? - Apologies if this has already been answered in a previous post.

Rubicon_Wrangler_JL_2018

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rwaltonphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Business Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
LOD All New Destroyer Series Sliding Roof Rack
Coming Summer 2019
No need to unload rack to remove hard or soft top. Works with sunrider position for softtop
Accessory mounts for jerry cans, hi-lift jack, trail tools, roto pax and more.
Will work with all major rooftop tents.
Ladder for easy loading/unloading of all your gear.
Modular floor system.
Rack will be available with or without slider and able to be upgraded at a later time.
Keep watching for updates

I know you said it's coming Summer 2019, but that could be June 21 (which has already passed), all the way to September 20. So do you have a more definitive timeline for availability?

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Not yet, but we're working on it! I can say that it will be competitive with other major full size racks on the market. :like:
Hey, as long as we can order it and not have to wait 1.5 years for delivery, like some of the other popular ones, i'll be happy.

Sponsored

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
My hope is you have located a sky one touch and in the near future we can see it installed over one. Sounds like the base can be affixed to the upper bar, any pictures of this? I am going to pull the trigger on rack in the next 45 days. Very much appreciate your team shedding a light on what is coming down the pipe!
Richard

OP
OP
lodoffroad

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
Hey guys just looking for some feedback and wondering if there are any other bolt-on accessories you would like to see?

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
I'd like to see a version for 2-door Wranglers. Sometimes it feels like 2-door owners (and our money) aren't taken into consideration.

rcpeters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 2019
It's the 2 door owners that really need roof racks....we....wait...we...wait.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.