Sponsored

LoD Destroyer Series Rock Sliders Review

wranglerbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
For those of you who purchased these LOD Destroyer Rock Sliders, are you still happy with your purchase?
Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
For those of you who purchased these LOD Destroyer Rock Sliders, are you still happy with your purchase?
Still happy implies I was happy to begin with. Let's just say I have no further reason to be dissatisfied with them besides poor fit and poor customer service. I haven't come down on them hard yet so I can't tell you if they'll serve as true sliders...

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Iā€™m on the fence with the Destroyers. I have a mopar 2ā€ lift and 37s and Iā€™m wondering if the step drop is enough to warrant an easier in/out of the vehicle. Currently with using the handles I can step up and over to get inside the door (not so much for the wife /kids). It seems to me if the drop is not much then Iā€™m still stepping up fairly high but now I have to deal with the 4ā€ step width which could make it even harder to get in without fully stepping up and then entering the vehicle.

OP
OP
McQueen

McQueen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m on the fence with the Destroyers. I have a mopar 2ā€ lift and 37s and Iā€™m wondering if the step drop is enough to warrant an easier in/out of the vehicle. Currently with using the handles I can step up and over to get inside the door (not so much for the wife /kids). It seems to me if the drop is not much then Iā€™m still stepping up fairly high but now I have to deal with the 4ā€ step width which could make it even harder to get in without fully stepping up and then entering the vehicle.
Iā€™ve got the same setup as you in terms of lift and tire size. With these sliders weā€™ve made the habit of always stepping to the slider first then pivot into the vehicle. Itā€™s still a healthy ā€˜box stepā€™ to the slider but by doing that you donā€™t over extend. Use the handles for extra support to step up. I added a short climbing rope that hangs from the roll bar at the rear passenger door for the kids to have more fun climbing in and out. They use the rope and step to the sliders first. Whenever we have the top off the kids want to play on the Jeep like itā€™s a jungle gym.

Sponsored

Bkmb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 unlimited rubicon
Got an update. During the Backroad to Crown King trail run we came across a similar obstacle to the one in the previous video. This time I had a GoPro mount on the rail itself so you can see how much movement there is relative to the Jeep body. It still gets pretty close but after inspection I couldnā€™t find any points of contact on the rocker.
I also want to mention that I decided to add Rugged Ridgeā€™s rocker panel plastic liners. They tuck nicely between the destroyers and the body. My intent was for them to serve as a sacrificial guard to protect the paint/body panel. So far it seems to work as intended and has protected against rocks getting stuck between the body and the destroyers. Iā€™m not sure if I would recommend doing this yet as there is more testing needed. Worst case scenario is the rail pushes the liner so hard that it still bends the body but that hasnā€™t happened. It looks like the liner (being plastic) gives enough to cushion any contact, thus avoided dings to the rocker. Check out the pics and video below.
1C63BA62-52F5-4BE2-AE6F-06415F5141B6.jpeg
79472AFB-8B9A-4023-95E9-95036D45774F.jpeg
3EE3BBFB-B996-4BED-B6BA-7EAF31C77F79.jpeg

Got an update. During the Backroad to Crown King trail run we came across a similar obstacle to the one in the previous video. This time I had a GoPro mount on the rail itself so you can see how much movement there is relative to the Jeep body. It still gets pretty close but after inspection I couldnā€™t find any points of contact on the rocker.
I also want to mention that I decided to add Rugged Ridgeā€™s rocker panel plastic liners. They tuck nicely between the destroyers and the body. My intent was for them to serve as a sacrificial guard to protect the paint/body panel. So far it seems to work as intended and has protected against rocks getting stuck between the body and the destroyers. Iā€™m not sure if I would recommend doing this yet as there is more testing needed. Worst case scenario is the rail pushes the liner so hard that it still bends the body but that hasnā€™t happened. It looks like the liner (being plastic) gives enough to cushion any contact, thus avoided dings to the rocker. Check out the pics and video below.
1C63BA62-52F5-4BE2-AE6F-06415F5141B6.jpeg
79472AFB-8B9A-4023-95E9-95036D45774F.jpeg
3EE3BBFB-B996-4BED-B6BA-7EAF31C77F79.jpeg

Old post, but hoping for an update. Do you regret adding Rugged Ridgeā€™s rocker panel plastic liners?

OP
OP
McQueen

McQueen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Old post, but hoping for an update. Do you regret adding Rugged Ridgeā€™s rocker panel plastic liners?
No regrets. They do exactly what I wanted them to do by dispersing contact from the destroyers. I havenā€™t slammed hard on the sliders and donā€™t ever intend to. If you wheel hard and hit the sliders often, I wouldnā€™t recommend this combo. I use my sliders to pivot the Jeep in tight situations but do so lightly.

Hope this helps.

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
I added Destroyer sliders to my Rubi 4xe and had to ask LoD for some front spacers; they fit great now and I can jack it up via the sliders without flex into the body. The build quality and powdercoating are excellent, IMHO. Destroyers would not be the best if you plan on doing hard-core vertical drops directly onto boulders (the rocker panels might get a crease from potential flex) but these will be fine for normal trail bashing. This step design prevents boot/shoe toes from pressing on the rocker panels during ingress/egress if people use the step areas. Love these.

Brad_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Rubicon (stock so far)
I've had the Rugged Ridgeā€™s rocker panel plastic liners on for about 6 months now. No regrets. They hide the pinch seam quite well, and have stayed put nicely. Would do again.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22'JLURD
Installed these sliders last night. I received the newer version, where each side is 4 pieces (3 mounts and 1 slider. Mounts were easy enough to install. There are 4 of the 6 that need to slip around a body mount bolt/washer. On my Jeep, the mounts were able to get into position without loosing the body mount bolts, which I was glad. I have heard people on here state horror stories and really didn't want to get into that. The front most most was attached the frame via 2 flag nuts.

I was surprised with the frame mounts having so few bolts. Each mount only has 1 bolt on the bottom of the frame, unless you drill a hole for the option bolt. I didn't do that last night, as it was after 9pm. The bolt can go in at anytime after full installation is complete. Then each mount attached via 2 nuts (at body mounts) or 1 flag nut (front mount). So currently, each is attached 8 bolts per side (9 if you do the optional). I see this as being the main place for flexing.

In the future, I will prolly zip some welds to really hold them in place.

After the mounts, the sliders were pretty simple. Hold them in place and put the backer plate with carriage bolts in. I was able to sit down, hold the sliders on my knees and contort my hands to start the washer/nut on the back side. I started with the middle most mount and front mount. Got them situated front to back where I wanted them (which was more forward to line up with rear wheel well). Tightened those 4 down, then did the rest. There were 10 nuts/bolts per side (4 front, 4 middle, 2 rear).

I know people have stated their sliders sit pretty close to the body. I don't see that at all. They are 1" away from the fender flares. More than a finger gap between the top of the slider and the body. If they do flex, there is a pretty good size gap to fill.

All nuts given were just regular nuts. More than likely during next regular maintenance, I will buy nylock nuts. Only need 20, should be relatively inexpensive.

Powder coating for the most part was ok. They were shipped in 2 boxes, 1 for mounts and 1 for sliders. The mount box was carbboarded bottom and then spray foamed. Mounts were in good shape. The sliders on the other hand had some chipping at the corners. The box was long and lean, not much protection on the ends and I would assume Fedex just dropped them whenever they got to a stopping point.

Since they were only installed last night, I haven't had a chance to use them as a slider. I did get to use them as a step (or the kids this morning). Daughter was happy (11, but taller than her momma), youngest son was extremely happy as he can get into the Jeep by himself now (4). Wife was in the garage with me when I got finished. I had her use them as a step as well (one of the selling point of these slider in particular) and she just slid in. There was no flex on the sliders.

Also a small bonus, these should help keep dirt/rocks off the side of the jeep, hinges and rear flares. This should almost be a win in and of itself. Maybe I'm getting old, but tired of the front wheel roost down the sides.

When I get a chance to use them for what they are, I will update some at that time.

Sponsored

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
Installed these sliders last night. I received the newer version, where each side is 4 pieces (3 mounts and 1 slider. Mounts were easy enough to install. There are 4 of the 6 that need to slip around a body mount bolt/washer. On my Jeep, the mounts were able to get into position without loosing the body mount bolts, which I was glad. I have heard people on here state horror stories and really didn't want to get into that. The front most most was attached the frame via 2 flag nuts.

I was surprised with the frame mounts having so few bolts. Each mount only has 1 bolt on the bottom of the frame, unless you drill a hole for the option bolt. I didn't do that last night, as it was after 9pm. The bolt can go in at anytime after full installation is complete. Then each mount attached via 2 nuts (at body mounts) or 1 flag nut (front mount). So currently, each is attached 8 bolts per side (9 if you do the optional). I see this as being the main place for flexing.

In the future, I will prolly zip some welds to really hold them in place.

After the mounts, the sliders were pretty simple. Hold them in place and put the backer plate with carriage bolts in. I was able to sit down, hold the sliders on my knees and contort my hands to start the washer/nut on the back side. I started with the middle most mount and front mount. Got them situated front to back where I wanted them (which was more forward to line up with rear wheel well). Tightened those 4 down, then did the rest. There were 10 nuts/bolts per side (4 front, 4 middle, 2 rear).

I know people have stated their sliders sit pretty close to the body. I don't see that at all. They are 1" away from the fender flares. More than a finger gap between the top of the slider and the body. If they do flex, there is a pretty good size gap to fill.

All nuts given were just regular nuts. More than likely during next regular maintenance, I will buy nylock nuts. Only need 20, should be relatively inexpensive.

Powder coating for the most part was ok. They were shipped in 2 boxes, 1 for mounts and 1 for sliders. The mount box was carbboarded bottom and then spray foamed. Mounts were in good shape. The sliders on the other hand had some chipping at the corners. The box was long and lean, not much protection on the ends and I would assume Fedex just dropped them whenever they got to a stopping point.

Since they were only installed last night, I haven't had a chance to use them as a slider. I did get to use them as a step (or the kids this morning). Daughter was happy (11, but taller than her momma), youngest son was extremely happy as he can get into the Jeep by himself now (4). Wife was in the garage with me when I got finished. I had her use them as a step as well (one of the selling point of these slider in particular) and she just slid in. There was no flex on the sliders.

Also a small bonus, these should help keep dirt/rocks off the side of the jeep, hinges and rear flares. This should almost be a win in and of itself. Maybe I'm getting old, but tired of the front wheel roost down the sides.

When I get a chance to use them for what they are, I will update some at that time.
Awesome.. would love to see some pics!!!

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
The brackets were my only gripe with these and why I liked the old Roam off-road ones. now that these have separate brackets I may have to give them a try. (more room to make fit your specific jeep body and to not allow them to flex into the tub).

does anyone know when these were redesigned ?

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
I have the old version
Jeep Wrangler JL LoD Destroyer Series Rock Sliders Review C6FCF729-C44C-460B-8D65-00AADA73B687
Jeep Wrangler JL LoD Destroyer Series Rock Sliders Review 54175002-742B-40B4-BE73-ADE5CA5FA873
Jeep Wrangler JL LoD Destroyer Series Rock Sliders Review A920E0A9-4C08-4ECC-8EDE-6B88E086FC98
, Nothing has changed, still going strong. I bought mine right around the time the diesel came out. I had to modify them a little bit. They work great from keeping rocks hitting the side of the jeep while off road.
Sponsored