LoD Destroyer Series Rock Sliders Review

jlwf4matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLUR
My wife and I have had these on our rigs for over a year now. After a year of trails and rock crawling, I’m not as impressed as I initially was. These “medium-duty” sliders dent and bend too easily on rocky trails.

Rock Slide Engineering makes a 3/16” skid plate that fits over their step sliders and I feel like that’s exactly what these need to convert them from “medium duty” to “heavy duty” sliders. I plan to try and straighten them out then weld on reinforcement skid plates underneath (either directly to them or as a reinforcement cover) to help them hold up better on rocks. I’d like these to last 5-10 years and mostly maintain their original shape. I like them enough to go this route rather than just getting something else.
Sponsored

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
Do you have any pictures of the dents and bends? Just installing mine, they seemed heavy duty, but I haven't laid my 5k# jeep on them either.

I know they have the aluminum version, which does have steel skid plates to add sort of like Rock Slide.

hardrock_sea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
I regretted getting the LOD Destroyer sliders. During my first time using it on the trails, I had a slight drop on a rock, definitely not a hard drop, it bent and damaged the body - something it is meant to protect! Even the stock slider would do better because it doesn't stick out so much! This slider is only good for steps and completely useless on rocky trails.

Here are the pictures of the damage. It cut through the PPF.

Jeep Wrangler JL LoD Destroyer Series Rock Sliders Review 1703127107325

Jeep Wrangler JL LoD Destroyer Series Rock Sliders Review 1703127037745

OP
OP
McQueen

McQueen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I regretted getting the LOD Destroyer sliders. During my first time using it on the trails, I had a slight drop on a rock, definitely not a hard drop, it bent and damaged the body - something it is meant to protect! Even the stock slider would do better because it doesn't stick out so much! This slider is only good for steps and completely useless on rocky trails.

Here are the pictures of the damage. It cut through the PPF.

That’s the exact same spot mine tapped the rocker on passenger side. Did you have spacers on that front mount or was it flush to the frame?
Ever since I added the aluminum spacer (from my original post) it hasn’t been a problem.

hardrock_sea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
That’s the exact same spot mine tapped the rocker on passenger side. Did you have spacers on that front mount or was it flush to the frame?
Ever since I added the aluminum spacer (from my original post) it hasn’t been a problem.
No, I didn't have the spacer. Did LOD provide the spacer?

Sponsored

OP
OP
McQueen

McQueen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
No, I didn't have the spacer. Did LOD provide the spacer?
Short answer: No, LOD doesn’t provide spacers unless you ask/need for them

Long answer: It looks like the same issue I was concerned about for my sliders happened to you. The beginning of this post explains what I did to fix it and so far it’s worked for me. As the customer though, you shouldn’t have to modify how the product is installed to prevent it from damaging your vehicle from an incident it was intended to protect against.

When I contacted LOD about the distance the passenger side rail was to the body, they sent me some 1/4” thick washers which I realized quickly were not going to provide enough support.

I’m still happy with the destroyers after 3 years of ownership but I made a custom spacer and added the Rugged Ridge rocker skins as a protective layer to make it work.

Shouldn’t of had to.

hardrock_sea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
Thank you @McQueen ! When I bought and installed it, I didn't see your post. Your fix makes total sense, but I wish we didn't have to do this. Their product description is very misleading.
Sponsored