First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
I am planning some overlanding this year, and my requirements are
  • Space for dual jerry cans and jack
  • But I still want to be able to open the soft top, so a roof rack is not an option
  • Single action tail gate is important, too
  • Open towards 37" tire upgrade
The LoD Destroyer checks all the boxes. When I compare with other available tire carrier options, the price is fair, and the functionality/design appears superior.

That said, the installation appears to be pretty involved (bumper must be level, back camera wiring, tow receiver takeoff).

Hence, @lodoffroad , would appreciate your expert advice
  • How long does the installation take?
  • Would you recommend having it done by an expert? If yes, can you recommend a shop in Northern Colorado?
Your input is much appreciated ;)
I’m installing mine over the next week. I’ll let you know how it goes. Looking at instruction I wouldn’t pay anyone to do it. Could stock your garage with a bunch of tools rather than pay someone for 3-4 hours of labor.
Took about an hour just to get everything out of box and laid out so take that into consideration on top of install. LOD packages it up great
Sponsored

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
I’m installing mine over the next week. I’ll let you know how it goes. Looking at instruction I wouldn’t pay anyone to do it. Could stock your garage with a bunch of tools rather than pay someone for 3-4 hours of labor.
Took about an hour just to get everything out of box and laid out so take that into consideration on top of install. LOD packages it up great
That's awesome Matt, good luck with the install and I'm looking forward to your report (pics please :)). Also curious about your comments as to quality and functionality, especially the one-handed swing out. I have installed a bumper/tire carrier on my JK, wasn't rocket science.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
That's awesome Matt, good luck with the install and I'm looking forward to your report (pics please :)). Also curious about your comments as to quality and functionality, especially the one-handed swing out. I have installed a bumper/tire carrier on my JK, wasn't rocket science.
I plan on working on it Monday so I’ll post some pics. Unboxed it last night,I have stubby fron and tell you from a quality standpoint it’s pretty top notch. I’ll keep you updated once I get it installed. Most complicated part seems to be the wiring.

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I plan on working on it Monday so I’ll post some pics. Unboxed it last night,I have stubby fron and tell you from a quality standpoint it’s pretty top notch. I’ll keep you updated once I get it installed. Most complicated part seems to be the wiring.
Looking forward to it, thanks Matt!

wyobob44

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 , 17 Indian Chieftain, 12 Ford F-350 Dually 4X4, 74 Jeep Wangoneer
Occupation
Retired
20190319_151555.jpg
20190319_151604.jpg
20190319_151909.jpg
I can report on the full width Destroyer bumper, it is very well packed, you will spend some time and effort getting everything unpacked and laid out. I installed this myself, no rear sensors, but with the backup camera relocation and am waiting on my rear lites in the bumper. All bolts were blue thread locked and torqued to specs. This is a bullet proof bumper, the swinging spare tire carrier is well built and thought out, it attaches to the rear door very well and swings with the rear door beautifully. I am very impressed with the design and build of this bumper and the options to be able to add in the future as needed. Money well spent in my mind..

Last edited:

Sponsored

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20190319_151555.jpg
20190319_151604.jpg
20190319_151909.jpg
I can report on the full width Destroyer bumper, it is very well packed, you will spend some time and effort getting everything unpacked and payed out. I installed this myself, no rear sensors, but with the backup camera relocation and am waiting on my rear lites in the bumper. All bolts were blue thread locked and torqued to specs. This is a bullet proof bumper, the swinging spare tire carrier is well built and thought out, it attaches to the rear door very well and swings with the rear door beautifully. I am very impressed with the design and build of this bumper and the options to be able to add in the future as needed. Money well spent in my mind..
Thanks Bob, good to hear. How long did the install take you? Any specifics to look out for?

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20190319_151555.jpg
20190319_151604.jpg
20190319_151909.jpg
I can report on the full width Destroyer bumper, it is very well packed, you will spend some time and effort getting everything unpacked and payed out. I installed this myself, no rear sensors, but with the backup camera relocation and am waiting on my rear lites in the bumper. All bolts were blue thread locked and torqued to specs. This is a bullet proof bumper, the swinging spare tire carrier is well built and thought out, it attaches to the rear door very well and swings with the rear door beautifully. I am very impressed with the design and build of this bumper and the options to be able to add in the future as needed. Money well spent in my mind..
I also see you opted to go without the third brake light. I assume the rules in WY are the same as here in CO - a third brake light is optional. I plan on doing the same.

wyobob44

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 , 17 Indian Chieftain, 12 Ford F-350 Dually 4X4, 74 Jeep Wangoneer
Occupation
Retired
Thanks Bob, good to hear. How long did the install take you? Any specifics to look out for?

Just be ready to take your time working on the backup camera relocation of the optic cable, patience is the key, removing the right side rear panel. I have the Alpine sub back there and i took a lot of time removing all the plastic, then it is a test when you slide the protective harness cover over the optic cable extension, and i made it even more challenging by installing 2 wires for my 3rd brake lite inside the harness. I installed my 3rd brake lite in the center of my spare tire, and it does a great job. I took about 8 hrs, i was working by myself and i also installed my cell booster at the same time, that is the antenna sticking up to the right of center of the spare. And i need to send out a thank you to @northridge for their help when purchasing my bumper

Last edited:

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just be ready to take your time working on the backup camera relocation of the optic cable, patience is the key, removing the right side rear panel. I have the Alpine sub back there and i took a lot of time removing all the plastic, then it is a test when you slide the protective harness cover over the optic cable extension, and i made it even more challenging by installing 2 wires for my 3rd brake lite inside the harness. I installed my 3rd brake lite in the center of my spare tire, and it does a great job. I took about 8 hrs, i was working by myself and i also installed my cell booster at the same time, that is the antenna sticking up to the right of center of the spare.
Thanks Bob, good info!

Sponsored

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Started mine yesterday desert runner. I’m doing backup sensors so that added some time.
My wife took apart stock bumper to get sensors out. That took her a good hour to do that then mount them onto the new bumper.
Nothing too crazy on removing stock bumper. 2 of the 16mm bolts are hard to get to. You’ll know the ones.
So far just removing bumper, installing sensors and assembling the swing out carrier and piece that attaches to actual door before hand I’m 3 hours in with wife helping. Not sure how lod does two hours pretty impressive.
Should start going faster now. I do have a stripped t25 on the camera to remove it so may have to go buy an extractor if I can’t get it off.
I’ll keep you updated

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
Started mine yesterday desert runner. I’m doing backup sensors so that added some time.
My wife took apart stock bumper to get sensors out. That took her a good hour to do that then mount them onto the new bumper.
Nothing too crazy on removing stock bumper. 2 of the 16mm bolts are hard to get to. You’ll know the ones.
So far just removing bumper, installing sensors and assembling the swing out carrier and piece that attaches to actual door before hand I’m 3 hours in with wife helping. Not sure how lod does two hours pretty impressive.
Should start going faster now. I do have a stripped t25 on the camera to remove it so may have to go buy an extractor if I can’t get it off.
I’ll keep you updated
I might have exaggerated a little with the 2hrs... :) I have done a lot of these though! The whole install with camera and sensors and license plate relocate takes about 6-8 hours.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Ended up taking most of the day yesterday. Unfortunately I forgot to buy the led bolts from lod so I ordered those on amazon prime and pre-wired them so I can just quickly wire them up.
Couple things I ran into:
The self tapping screws didn’t self tap. That will be an issue to address in near future, I’ll try another set in same holes I started.
The camera is a pta to get out of stock piece.
I went rogue on the wiring of the brake, license and camera. I think I did it a touch different than instructions but worked out good. That part was a little confusing in pictures so went ahead and did what made most sense.
Also wired my CB and rigid lights at the same time. I ran the wires to front aux switches under passenger trim, worked out well. Just another few hours added to the time. Did everything in passenger taillight and it worked out. Took reverse light from tow wires and wired up two diodes behind the tail to hide everything and keep it out of weather. And so I could run them in reverse and with an aux switch

Overall it looks awesome, super high quality. Plan on using your weekend to do it if you have license relocation and additional lights.

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ended up taking most of the day yesterday. Unfortunately I forgot to buy the led bolts from lod so I ordered those on amazon prime and pre-wired them so I can just quickly wire them up.
Couple things I ran into:
The self tapping screws didn’t self tap. That will be an issue to address in near future, I’ll try another set in same holes I started.
The camera is a pta to get out of stock piece.
I went rogue on the wiring of the brake, license and camera. I think I did it a touch different than instructions but worked out good. That part was a little confusing in pictures so went ahead and did what made most sense.
Also wired my CB and rigid lights at the same time. I ran the wires to front aux switches under passenger trim, worked out well. Just another few hours added to the time. Did everything in passenger taillight and it worked out. Took reverse light from tow wires and wired up two diodes behind the tail to hide everything and keep it out of weather. And so I could run them in reverse and with an aux switch

Overall it looks awesome, super high quality. Plan on using your weekend to do it if you have license relocation and additional lights.
Thanks Matt, appreciate the feedback. Looks like the electrical work burned most of the time. A few questions please:
  • In order to get the bumper level, did you have to grind off any welding seams or the like? Or did it slide right in?
  • Any hints on making removing the backup camera out of the stock housing less of a PTA?
  • I am not sure what to do with the recessed lights yet. If I install them later, will I have to take the bumper off again? It looks from the photos as if they are mounted from the rear?
Cheers, Peter

rameyer84

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F350, Hyundai Sante Fe, 2018 JLUR Mojito!
Thanks Matt, appreciate the feedback. Looks like the electrical work burned most of the time. A few questions please:
  • In order to get the bumper level, did you have to grind off any welding seams or the like? Or did it slide right in?
  • Any hints on making removing the backup camera out of the stock housing less of a PTA?
  • I am not sure what to do with the recessed lights yet. If I install them later, will I have to take the bumper off again? It looks from the photos as if they are mounted from the rear?
Cheers, Peter
Let me chime in a bit about my experience. The worst part about the wiring was getting that panel off in the jeep to route the camera wire. I managed to pop just the back loose and route the camera cable underneath and into that rubber bushing. I am not sure how much time I saved as popping the panel back in without bending it so much it broke was a PITA. Might want to just remove the speaker grill and everything to get the panel off.

I did not have to grind anything to get the bumper level.

I also had no problems getting the camera out of the stock housing. Just use the correct tools.

Can't answer for the lights. I have gone back in that hole for the lights after the bumper was installed to adjust the parking sensors and had plenty of room to work in there to do that.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored