LOD Destroyer rear bumper / tire carrier

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
WTT a drivers side jerry can holder for a passenger side jerry can holder if anyone out there has passenger side regret...
Sponsored

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
I just finished my install, highly recommend it if you are on the fence. It took me about a week to install:
- Ordered more tools
- Waiting on more parts
- Warmer weather

Everything installed as expected and all notches are where they should be (swing arm notch). I do need to play around with the positioning of the sensors as the outer sensors are triggering immediately. The sensors are sitting loosely but plan on putting in a rubber spacer to tighten up the fit.
F80C446B-B9FC-4075-8F71-327A5B37483E_1_201_a.jpeg
Where you able to get your backup sensors working properly with the LOD bumper? I’m considering buying one but want to retain proper use of back up sensors.

tjeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 TJ, '24 392
Where you able to get your backup sensors working properly with the LOD bumper? I’m considering buying one but want to retain proper use of back up sensors.
I haven't. The sensor is too close to the spare tire. The center ones always go off in reverse.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I haven't. The sensor is too close to the spare tire. The center ones always go off in reverse.
That is disappointing. @lodoffroad has this been fixed in revisions of the bumpers?

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
I had the same problem with my Warn Elite bumper. First that's piss poor engineering for a company of that size and stature. The fix they said was to rotate the in-board sensors until they don't trigger off the spare tire. It worked ... although I'll think twice about purchasing anything else from them.

Sponsored

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
I am also having major sensor problems. I am going to come back to it (see if can adjust but no much one can do) after finishing up some of the other parts install, but so far I am quite disappointed with the LOD setup and I got every option available so it added up. Will do a more detailed review in a week or so after getting all the various parts on.

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Bumper Review

I purchased the full enchilada LOD rear bumper system and wanted to provided feedback for anyone else considering this as an option.

I had my hesitations with some of the other feedback, but given this Jeep is an overland build and I have a power top, I did not want a full roof rack and a partial roof rack is not an option with that top

Pros
  • As someone else wrote, the inspector gadget of rear bumper systems
  • The bumper itself is well built and designed. Nice wraparound feature and construction. Welding was good and powder coat on it was decent (not great though and see below on accessories)
Cons
  • Cost is very high for rear bumper system. Fully configured this was $2800 after tax. My comments below are based on this premium price point. If I paid $1000 for it, I would not be as harsh. I have purchased from other tier 2 vendors for selected items, however their price matches the quality and that is ok tradeoff that one can choose from
  • The accessories fabrication was poor relative to the bumper. More comparable to cheaper Amazon stuff, but without the matching price. Question whether it was actually built here vs. imported
  • The powder coating is horrendous. Should know something is wrong when the instructions include a recommendation to buy black Tremclad paint to touch things up. Chips and scratches on the install that should not happen. Nothing compared to Poison Spyder or Rock Slide Engineering. The same goes to fabrication/construction (with the exception of the main bumper point above)
  • The camera relocation doesn’t work properly. The lens is recessed in the tube too far so you get a black semi-circle at the bottom. This is the part where I lost it with LOD and this bumper. Initially they sent wrong piece so waited a week to get it and then there lackadaisical response was basically live with it because once you put bigger tires that happens. Well on a 2021 model the 8.4 system actually gives you screen message camera is a problem (Update-the message does eventually go away). I am getting a custom clip fabricated by a 3rd party to correct this since LOD won’t address it. Also the tube should be longer for bigger tires, perhaps sell 2 lengths. I am going to get a longer screw and washers to extend this piece (again these workarounds for something approaching $3K)
  • License plate relocation doesn’t come with lights. You pay another $29 for some $5 Amazon lights with the thinnest wires you have ever seen. I shrink tubed it for now as this is exposed and if you change a tire your going to rip them off. Will eventually get better lights. (Update the one LED burnt out after 2 months - order new ones on Amazon unfortunately similar quality will see if last longer until find something nicer)
  • The sensors don’t work as many people experienced. I’m running stock tires at this point. I will have to continue to play with it to see, but given the stock cheap plastic bumper that comes with the Rubicon seems like its worth $99, yet they make it work. This is a design flaw. (Update-After countless hours adjusting no go)
  • The swingout stop is short of the natural door opening, so you can’t mount the highlift it the way they suggested. In the end I flipped it. Also its just 2 bolts. I will swap this out for the quick grips which I put on my other Jeep. Cost less works better. Note none of these parts are returnable so this is all wasted money
  • Highlift horizontal mount means you can’t use the CB mount- technically you can fit it in, but the antenna has no room to move back and forth which means contact for poor reception and damage
  • The CB mount could have been built in, basically its a silly piece you add to finish the product and as mentioned above doesn’t work
  • The round light inserts don’t work with your stock fog lights, so you will need to buy aftermarket ones. They have plate mounting for other lights - it's super thin sheet metal
  • Packaging is the pieces inside plastic with spray foam around it. Means a visit to the dump to dispose of it. While technically it works in preventing damage other companies have foam inserts to match their product. Just never seen anything packaged this way.
  • Diesel specific - Those of you with this model know some of our challenges (windshield washer fluid bottle, def location, etc). Well in this case the bumper ultimately fits, but I had to uninstall it after initially mounting it to get the 4 middle bolts in where the def tank is in the way (regular jeep has gas tank there). You have to drop the def tank a couple of inches while having bumper at angle then get the bolts in, then install the rest of bumper and bolts in reverse of their directions. The instructions don’t account for this. I get it diesel is relatively new. When I spoke to them didn’t seem to be fussed about it or interested in updating their website.
  • Poor customer service. In the end they just ignored my final message to them. I read in an earlier post where someone had a poor experience, but considered it maybe was a one off. The product ultimately feels like small independent (which I’m ok with - for example 67 Designs, but their stuff works and looks good) that hasn’t hit prime time, but charges premium $$.

Net-Net I always ask my customers would they recommend my product or buy from me again?

The answer in this case is a resounding NO.

I would recommend this if you went with the bumper only and have a base model Jeep so that it lines up with your expectations.

Update 4 months later - Quite a bit of rust forming. BTW I live in California, not the NE US.
It's all on the swingout and accessories. The main bumper is fine. Still can't get sensors fixed and played with them for hours. Even had a major builder give it a go and they have had their own issues with installs. If you have no rear sensors and want bumper only it's a great unit. Above it not so much. Also, once you put on a 37 tire, it fits, but you can't take off the jerry cans and the connectors, don't fit. Solved it by getting my own different setup. I will probably use the unit for this year and replace it with something else next year. Expensive $3K mistake.
Jeep Wrangler JL LOD Destroyer rear bumper / tire carrier 1620230500814

Jeep Wrangler JL LOD Destroyer rear bumper / tire carrier 1620230582529

Last edited:

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
@xtremejoe Nice review and I literally concur with all of this after owning mine for 3 years. Only difference is I bought raw and powder-coated myself so that part I cannot speak to. You nailed everything else to a "T"

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
Bumper Review

I purchased the full enchilada LOD rear bumper system and wanted to provided feedback for anyone else considering this as an option.

I had my hesitations with some of the other feedback, but given this Jeep is an overland build and I have a power top, I did not want a full roof rack and a partial roof rack is not an option with that top
Hello Joe,
We are truly sorry you have had such a bad experience, I assure you this is not typical with our customers! We try very hard to make sure everyone is happy with their purchase. I have reviewed your emails to our support.

Unfortunately we cannot guarantee the sensors will work correctly with every setup, many factors come into play as your probably know. In case you missed our sensor instructions, make sure the connectors are pointed toward the bumper center and that you have the rubber grommets installed. Raise your tire as high as possible and also try rotating your tire on the lug pattern. You can also try rotating the sensors slightly but they are finicky so start with very small adjustments. Beyond that there is not much else we can do.

I think everybody has been taken by surprise with the fact that Jeep decided to change the camera for 2021 models. Not to mention that fact that they are not backwards compatible with older Jeeps. This makes it very difficult for our engineers to develop and re-engineer products. Because of these types of changes, we work closely with our customers to correct these issues. I am sorry if this was not expressed, but generally our customers understand this and are more than happy to work with us to solve issues like this.

Our packaging is second to none, sorry your product arrived un-damaged. Our rear bumper is not desiged to work with the front bumper fog lights, however we do have options for a few different light styles from Rigid Industries, and soon to come out with light bezels for Baja Designs!

Our powder coating and craftsmanship is considered some of the best in the industry. With that said I am taken aback to hear you compare our products with cheap amazon junk. We take pride in making 100% of our products right here in INDIANA. If you have some particular issues with our products I encourage you to contact us so that we can make it right!

Regards.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Unfortunately we cannot guarantee the sensors will work correctly with every setup, many factors come into play as your probably know.
Nice that you replied but this is just wrong. Your design with regards to the sensors is just faulty unless you have changed it since I got mine. You guys flat out did not do your homework on this and it is my biggest gripe as I have not been able to use mine since I mounted your bumper in 18.

They did not work with a bone stock set up. You guys should have at least got it working on a bone stock JL. You did not. Install was done correctly. Installer messed with them. Then the dealer had a go and they just don't work. Now put a bigger tire and a lift, still doesn't work. Take off the rear tire, still doesn't work.

Bottom line you guys got this wrong, it is faulty and you should actually own up to it and either fix it or call it out in big bold letters when someone is about to purchase your bumper. I for one would not have spent the money to buy the front/rear/ tire carrier/license plate relocation combo had I known this.

I think everything else about your product is awesome and I love the looks but everyone should know that the back up sensors will most likely not work.

Sponsored

mbaglole

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU
I installed the rear bumper last weekend, waiting on a part before I can complete the tire carrier installation.

My parking sensors have functioned the same as stock since installing - no complaints from me.

Also, I'm not entirely sure about the gripe regarding accessories? I've purchased the rotopax mounts, license plate relocation, hi-lift and the trail rack. They're all solidly built - did we get the same accessories?

20210320_213015.jpg

20210320_222428.jpg

tjeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 TJ, '24 392
My parking sensors have functioned the same as stock since installing - no complaints from me.
The issue is with larger than stock tires. The middle sensors sense the tire and sets them off.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
LOD said they would not reimburse me for having it fixed or replaced the tire carrier since they deem the swing stop a "minor feature" that does not inhibit the ability to use the tire carrier.

So basically I'm stuck with taking the swing stop off and either never separating the tailgate and tire carrier, or if I do being very careful to not let the tire carrier swing open and slam into the car.
That’s absolute BS. The lack of this feature is why I didn’t buy it for my JK. I have one on order and if LOD does this on mine it is a deal breaker. I had a similar setup by a different company on my JK and often had the swing gate open without the door because of things mounted between the 2.

vader_jlu

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU
Mine had no issues with the swing stop. I got mine around a month ago. Added the maxtrax to the rear today. So far so good.

Jeep Wrangler JL LOD Destroyer rear bumper / tire carrier 20210320_222428

drtrdr85, I'm reviving a buried post for this question, but what hardware did you buy for that bolt w/ hole / hand knob combo you used to mount the maxtrax using the handles?

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I installed the rear bumper last weekend, waiting on a part before I can complete the tire carrier installation.

Also, I'm not entirely sure about the gripe regarding accessories? I've purchased the rotopax mounts, license plate relocation, hi-lift and the trail rack. They're all solidly built - did we get the same accessories?

Curious, how did the wiring for the the rear plate go. Was it plug and play to the factory harness, or did it require cutting the factory harness?

Also, hard to tell in the picture, are the shackles 5/8 or 3/4? I know in the past with his signature series bumpers he was using the thinner shackle tabs, not sure if he's changed up his game.
Sponsored