LOD Destroyer rear bumper / tire carrier

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
Played with rotating the camera mount a little and got some better results. Need to play with it more.

upload_2020-3-11_10-19-4.png
Sponsored

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
Played with rotating the camera mount a little and got some better results. Need to play with it more.

upload_2020-3-11_10-19-4.png
Could be the angle of the tire carrier. Is it parallel to the tail gate?

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
Yeah, good thing to check. I still need to adjust the entire thing to the right a bit but haven't had time. Opens and closes super smooth though but I never had a super level spot to adjust it on.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Rubicon
I am also seriously considering pulling the trigger on this bumper. I think that all of the mounting options will be great storage solutions for my 2 door. I am not too concerned about the sensor issue, but I am skeptical about the recovery point, which no-one has brought up on this thread yet. It looks kind of thin and flimsy. Does anyone know what it is rated at.

efitzger

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I am also seriously considering pulling the trigger on this bumper. I think that all of the mounting options will be great storage solutions for my 2 door. I am not too concerned about the sensor issue, but I am skeptical about the recovery point, which no-one has brought up on this thread yet. It looks kind of thin and flimsy. Does anyone know what it is rated at.
I don’t know what the rating is but I’ve anchored my Jeep off it while recovering another rig and didn’t hesitate bc it didn’t seem the least bit flimsy to me!

Sponsored

tjeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 TJ, '24 392
I'm not really sure why you would think the recovery point is flimsy, have you examined the bumper in person? It is solid bar welded into the bumper. I think the rear frame and crossmember of the Jeep will bend before the recovery attachment point comes out.

I do have issues with LOD's quality. I purchased this bumper at a time when I need one for a trip and they promised the sensor issue will be fixed. That was a year ago. I also have quality issues with the front bumper and the sliders, as well as their customer service when I called about getting them fixed. However I have never had any concerns about using their bumpers as recovery points, worked liked they should.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Rubicon
I'm not really sure why you would think the recovery point is flimsy, have you examined the bumper in person? It is solid bar welded into the bumper. I think the rear frame and crossmember of the Jeep will bend before the recovery attachment point comes out.

I do have issues with LOD's quality. I purchased this bumper at a time when I need one for a trip and they promised the sensor issue will be fixed. That was a year ago. I also have quality issues with the front bumper and the sliders, as well as their customer service when I called about getting them fixed. However I have never had any concerns about using their bumpers as recovery points, worked liked they should.
No I have not seen it in person, but in the picture it looks thin. Caveat: I don't know hardly anything about metallurgy, but this is my thought process when I look at the picture: I feel that a single weld going from vertical to horizontal is going to be a weak point especially if you pull from the side. I would expect the steel to snap off at the weld under tension before the recovery point itself would bend.

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
No I have not seen it in person, but in the picture it looks thin. Caveat: I don't know hardly anything about metallurgy, but this is my thought process when I look at the picture: I feel that a single weld going from vertical to horizontal is going to be a weak point especially if you pull from the side. I would expect the steel to snap off at the weld under tension before the recovery point itself would bend.
Loki
The recovery points on our Destroyer front bumpers is 3/4" thick steel fully welded all around. You'll be more likely to rip the bumper off the frame than to see the recovery point fail. Unless of course you have our frame tie in brackets :like:. Then you might just stretch your frame. ;)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Rubicon
Loki
The recovery points on our Destroyer front bumpers is 3/4" thick steel fully welded all around. You'll be more likely to rip the bumper off the frame than to see the recovery point fail. Unless of course you have our frame tie in brackets :like:. Then you might just stretch your frame. ;)
Awesome! You all definitely have the coolest bumper on the market. I don't really have enough space to install something that heavy. I learned my lesson doing a winch plate install with street parking. But I will be moving hopefully in a couple months assuming the current craziness settles down and I will for sure take the plunge then.

jhernandez

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JEEP WRANGLER SPORTS UNLIMITED 3.6 4 DOORS JL
Thanks to the guys at Northridge 4x4 in Denver, after waiting months for LOD to release we just had installed the Full Width LOD rear bumper with tire carrier.

Yes, temp tag has expired while Jeep was in storage waiting. It will soon make its way to the west coast and then to Hawaii.

upload_2018-9-3_6-35-11.jpeg

44692AF6-A59D-4852-9B8F-271BF3B1BDA0.jpeg

B8E617F4-B916-482E-A5DE-77465F4C32F4.jpeg

How do you like your new LoD 1841 Destroyer Rear Full Width Bumper with Tire Carrier Jeep Wrangler JL ? After installing this, Do you hear any sounds like clunking, vibration, or hitting a bump, is it hard when you open the tailgate door, does it feels like stuck heavy? Where did you buy it and how much and you also get the full width rear bumper with swing tire carrier black coated right?

Sponsored

jhernandez

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24951DF3-B362-48B6-9EA5-7E5DE0779D8E.jpeg
Got finished and all wiring completed for the B/U lights , 3rd brake light and the tag light. Camera kit worked like a charm.
How do you like your new Lod 1841 Destroyer Rear Full Width Bumper with Tire Carrier Jeep Wrangler JL?r Also after installing it, do you hear any sounds like clunking, vibration, or hitting a bump or while driving any issue or sounds?
Also when you open the tailgate door does it feels like stuck hard to open heavy or no? Also you bought the LoD 1841 Destroyer Rear Full Width Bumper with Tire Carrier jeep wrangler JL black coated right? Where did you buy it and how much? Also is it easy to install this kit with no drilling at all pretty much put in right? Also is it easy to install the license plate relocation bracket?

jhernandez

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24951DF3-B362-48B6-9EA5-7E5DE0779D8E.jpeg
Got finished and all wiring completed for the B/U lights , 3rd brake light and the tag light. Camera kit worked like a charm.
How do you like your new Lod 1841 Destroyer Rear Full Width Bumper with Tire Carrier Jeep Wrangler JL?r Also after installing it, do you hear any sounds like clunking, vibration, or hitting a bump or while driving any issue or sounds?
Also when you open the tailgate door does it feels like stuck hard to open heavy or no? Also you bought the LoD 1841 Destroyer Rear Full Width Bumper with Tire Carrier jeep wrangler JL black coated right? Where did you buy it and how much? Also is it easy to install this kit with no drilling at all pretty much put in right? Also is it easy to install the license plate relocation bracket?

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
If you go backward through this thread you will find my full review. I bought directly from LoD, black coated.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/lod-destroyer-rear-bumper-tire-carrier.14544/page-12

Last edited:

drtrdr85

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Bumper finally complete. It did take a while as previously posted the wiring took time to do. Don't do what I did and cut the camera rca cable. I had to solder it to get it back working properly. I soldered all the cable connections and ran the light cables through the frame using cable loom. Also had a couple of questions and message LOD on this forum and they were supper responsive! View attachment 306722 View attachment 306724 View attachment 306722 I love the bumper can't wait to add all the accessories!

IMG_8503.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
All good. I would definitely buy again. No issues on installation. Bolt on and did not need to modify anything with the bumper or tire mount. Setup and adjustment of the latch on the tire carrier will take care of any rattle/noise. License plate bracket is easy. Just make sure you have wire connectors that you can disconnect easily, so you can remove the spare. Door opens easily, but you feel the momentum of the heavy tire as you open the door. Just something you learn. Don’t let it slam into the travel stop on the bumper. Coating on bumper is holding up well. Looks as good as the day of installation. I have added the front bumper and the side rails from LOD also. All positive.
Sponsored