LOD Destroyer rear bumper / tire carrier

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport-S-KIA; 2020 JLU Rubicon
Does anybody know how much more the tire carrier bumper weighs over the stock plastic bumper? Trying to do a weight budget.
Sponsored

jhernandez

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JEEP WRANGLER SPORTS UNLIMITED 3.6 4 DOORS JL
Do you make these bumpers without sensor holes?
All good. I would definitely buy again. No issues on installation. Bolt on and did not need to modify anything with the bumper or tire mount. Setup and adjustment of the latch on the tire carrier will take care of any rattle/noise. License plate bracket is easy. Just make sure you have wire connectors that you can disconnect easily, so you can remove the spare. Door opens easily, but you feel the momentum of the heavy tire as you open the door. Just something you learn. Don’t let it slam into the travel stop on the bumper. Coating on bumper is holding up well. Looks as good as the day of installation. I have added the front bumper and the side rails from LOD also. All positive.
Do you have the pictures of the front bumper and side rail?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I ordered and received the LOD Destroyer Rear bumper / tire carrier and installed it about a week ago. Overall difficult to install by myself by it eventually all came together, or so I thought... As I went to open the tailgate for the first time with the tire carrier attached I discovered that it would not open more than 1/3-1/2 of the way open. I discovered that the swing stop was impacting the tire carrier as the tailgate was about half way open! As I looked at my swing stop and the piece of metal welded onto the tire carrier to impact the swing stop and compared it with the images on the instructions I noticed that the welded piece of metal was located about an inch closer to the vehicle than what was shown (see pics). I immediately emailed LOD with the images and they agreed it was welded incorrectly. As I inquired about getting a replacement tire carrier they "discussed internally" and decided it wasn't enough of a fault to warrant a replacement tire carrier since it is a rarely used feature. I categorically disagree with them as I am looking for a metal shop that may be able to grind down that piece and fix it, but I will be sending LOD the invoice.

20200413_104608.jpg

Screenshot_20200415-130628_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I just looked at my carrier and it looks like the correct placement, but a little disappointed in LOD saying it’s ok on yours. I have the LOD rack on mine, and would not be able to open the rear glass on the hardtop if the travel of the tire was restricted with the stop being welded incorrectly. Yes, you can carefully cut away some of the travel stop and get full movement, but I’m sure you paid top dollar for a quality product. Come on LOD, step up.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just looked at my carrier and it looks like the correct placement, but a little disappointed in LOD saying it’s ok on yours. I have the LOD rack on mine, and would not be able to open the rear glass on the hardtop if the travel of the tire was restricted with the stop being welded incorrectly. Yes, you can carefully cut away some of the travel stop and get full movement, but I’m sure you paid top dollar for a quality product. Come on LOD, step up.
Yea I have the rack as well, haven't installed it yet so good looking out on that piece, I'm sure it'll be an issue and I'll be sure to bring it up to them.

jhernandez

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How did you fix the tire carrier issue for swing stop?

Griff71

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLUR
I ordered and received the LOD Destroyer Rear bumper / tire carrier and installed it about a week ago. Overall difficult to install by myself by it eventually all came together, or so I thought... As I went to open the tailgate for the first time with the tire carrier attached I discovered that it would not open more than 1/3-1/2 of the way open. I discovered that the swing stop was impacting the tire carrier as the tailgate was about half way open! As I looked at my swing stop and the piece of metal welded onto the tire carrier to impact the swing stop and compared it with the images on the instructions I noticed that the welded piece of metal was located about an inch closer to the vehicle than what was shown (see pics). I immediately emailed LOD with the images and they agreed it was welded incorrectly. As I inquired about getting a replacement tire carrier they "discussed internally" and decided it wasn't enough of a fault to warrant a replacement tire carrier since it is a rarely used feature. I categorically disagree with them as I am looking for a metal shop that may be able to grind down that piece and fix it, but I will be sending LOD the invoice.
Just received mine but haven't taken it out of the packaging yet. That will be one of the first things I check, in fact I will probably open the box and check it today. Hope that the whole issue gets corrected, either LOD reconsidering and sending a replacement or them paying the invoice to have a local shop fix their issue.

jhernandez

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just received mine but haven't taken it out of the packaging yet. That will be one of the first things I check, in fact I will probably open the box and check it today. Hope that the whole issue gets corrected, either LOD reconsidering and sending a replacement or them paying the invoice to have a local shop fix their issue.
Hello, so is the swing stop for the tire carrier fix or no?

drtrdr85

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Mine had no issues with the swing stop. I got mine around a month ago. Added the maxtrax to the rear today. So far so good.

E0QBdUPaQz+xtAD%VBEdfg_thumb_4329.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4320.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4326.jpg

Sponsored

jhernandez

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine had no issues with the swing stop. I got mine around a month ago. Added the maxtrax to the rear today. So far so good.

E0QBdUPaQz+xtAD%VBEdfg_thumb_4329.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4320.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4326.jpg
Thanks, can i ask you to do video demonstration when you open the tailgate door and release the swing tire carrier from tailgate door just wan't to see how they close or any shake vibration thank.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

@lodoffroad Has there been any consideration of making a less vertically tall/slimline version of the bumper, with the same swingarm/accessory mounts?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How did you fix the tire carrier issue for swing stop?
LOD said they would not reimburse me for having it fixed or replaced the tire carrier since they deem the swing stop a "minor feature" that does not inhibit the ability to use the tire carrier.

So basically I'm stuck with taking the swing stop off and either never separating the tailgate and tire carrier, or if I do being very careful to not let the tire carrier swing open and slam into the car.

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
LOD said they would not reimburse me for having it fixed or replaced the tire carrier since they deem the swing stop a "minor feature" that does not inhibit the ability to use the tire carrier.

So basically I'm stuck with taking the swing stop off and either never separating the tailgate and tire carrier, or if I do being very careful to not let the tire carrier swing open and slam into the car.
Looking at the problem, could you just take off the part on the bumper and place further around the arc and drill a new hole for that piece? That may give you the travel without grinding/cutting the tire carrier part. Not a perfect solution, but may work.

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport-S-KIA; 2020 JLU Rubicon
Nevermind
Sponsored

Last edited: