LOD Destroyer rear bumper on a diesel, DEF tank support in the way

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Anyone here with a diesel install a LOD destroyer rear bumper w/ tire carrier. I’m in the middle of the install and it looks like the DEF tank support will interfere with the bumper. It also looks like I might have to drop the DEF tank to remove the tow hitch and install LODs bumper.
I’ll call @lodoffroad tomorrow, but hoping to get some info tonight so I can finish the install and not have to put the stock rear bumper back on.
I’ll also update with what comes about. I really hope there isn’t an issue because IMO it’s the best rear bumper on the market
Sponsored

Mjolimar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
I have the LoD Destroyer rear bumper on my 2021 Ecodiesel Rubicon. It is a pain in the rear to get two of the bolts in place. I did have to lower the DEF tank and I had to move something else in order to get the hitch off and the new bolts in place. I can’t remember what the other thing was now, as I did the install a few months ago (I got my 2021 delivered while it was still 2020). I also recall that I had to do some filing to make things fit together.

In addition, I have the rear parking sensors and they go off all the time. It appears they are detecting the 35” tire I have on the tire carrier, and there is no solution. I switched my parking sensors off, since I can‘t find any setting or position that will make them not go off every time I put it in reverse.

I took photos of the problems I was having and what solutions I found and sent them to LoD, as well as calling and talking to their staff. They are nice, but they didn’t have any solutions for the bolts or the parking sensors. The photos must be on my phone, as they are not on this tablet. If you want me to try and find them, I can look for them in the morning.

I like the bumper and tire carrier, but I paid extra for the parking sensors and I cannot use them now. <shrug>

OP
OP
brewski

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I have the LoD Destroyer rear bumper on my 2021 Ecodiesel Rubicon. It is a pain in the rear to get two of the bolts in place. I did have to lower the DEF tank and I had to move something else in order to get the hitch off and the new bolts in place. I can’t remember what the other thing was now, as I did the install a few months ago (I got my 2021 delivered while it was still 2020). I also recall that I had to do some filing to make things fit together.

In addition, I have the rear parking sensors and they go off all the time. It appears they are detecting the 35” tire I have on the tire carrier, and there is no solution. I switched my parking sensors off, since I can‘t find any setting or position that will make them not go off every time I put it in reverse.

I took photos of the problems I was having and what solutions I found and sent them to LoD, as well as calling and talking to their staff. They are nice, but they didn’t have any solutions for the bolts or the parking sensors. The photos must be on my phone, as they are not on this tablet. If you want me to try and find them, I can look for them in the morning.

I like the bumper and tire carrier, but I paid extra for the parking sensors and I cannot use them now. <shrug>
If you don’t mind I’d appreciate it. It would also be good for people to know in the future with diesels and LOD desires so they can know what they need to do. I ended up putting all the bumper, tire carrier, etc back on. I’ll do the install this week or weekend. It’s unfortunate because my DEF tank is over half full right now.

Mjolimar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
I found the email I sent LoD, along with the photos. Please ignore the typo: fitment, rather than figment, was intended. Here is the email in its entirety, sent January 5, 2021:

Thank you for your quick reply. Also, I note that I failed to buy the antenna mount. I guess I will go to your web site and order one.

I have installed the bumper (I did that last night), but have not mounted the tire carrier yet. The bumper install had a couple issues that I thought I would mention.

First, since I have the 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Ecodiesel, there is a DEF tank at the driver’s rear side of the vehicle, that makes it very difficult to install the 4” and 4 1/2” bolts that tie into the bumper. I had to lower the DEF tank to get the two driver’s side bolts to start through the holes.

Second, lowering that DEF skid was a bit of a pain, since the drivers’-side bolt that holds the stock DEF skid plate is partially covered by the new bumper itself. That is an issue that could be resolved by cutting a little relief into the bumper. I am attaching a couple photos of that issue: one with the bolt removed and before I repainted the area I had to grind off; and a second photo after I painted the area and installed the bolt.

Jeep Wrangler JL LOD Destroyer rear bumper on a diesel, DEF tank support in the way CC1DDDD7-C015-4434-9850-7E84DD9B336F

Jeep Wrangler JL LOD Destroyer rear bumper on a diesel, DEF tank support in the way CF47D650-33CD-4825-917D-A19E6E88CB2E

Finally, Your instructions mention that Chrysler’s welds may be sloppy and may cause the bumper to be uneven, which is true. I ground off and repainted the sloppy welds, but the frame horns are apparently a bit uneven, so I had to shim under the frame on the passenger side to make the bumper sit evenly. I don’t blame you for that one, but it is worth mentioning anyway, as it is a figment issue.

Overall, I really like the bumper and hope the rest of the install goes well. I used to be a mechanic at a Ford dealership, so I do not consider myself mechanically inept, but I still have about five hours into this already. At this rate, I am seriously hoping not to have to reverse this install before I sell this beast.

Thanks again for your prompt reply, and I hope you are doing well in this new year!

Back to the post — In addition to the email, I had a couple conversations with their team at (877) 390-9584 about the parking sensors. They were nice, but the suggestion they had, which was rotate the sensors a little back and forth to see if they will work better, did not work. The literature says the tire carrier will hold 37” tires, and it likely would. Mine are 35” and my spare is mounted as high as possible on the tire carrier. Regardless, the sensors pick it up and are useless. That is the one thing about this purchase that still bugs me.

Anyway, good luck!

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone here with a diesel install a LOD destroyer rear bumper w/ tire carrier. I’m in the middle of the install and it looks like the DEF tank support will interfere with the bumper. It also looks like I might have to drop the DEF tank to remove the tow hitch and install LODs bumper.
I’ll call @lodoffroad tomorrow, but hoping to get some info tonight so I can finish the install and not have to put the stock rear bumper back on.
I’ll also update with what comes about. I really hope there isn’t an issue because IMO it’s the best rear bumper on the market
Yes, i don't tow anything so just left the two bolts out of it for now. if I get ambitious in the future I might try to loosen everything up and install the final two bolts.

Sponsored

OP
OP
brewski

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I found the email I sent LoD, along with the photos. Please ignore the typo: fitment, rather than figment, was intended. Here is the email in its entirety, sent January 5, 2021:

Thank you for your quick reply. Also, I note that I failed to buy the antenna mount. I guess I will go to your web site and order one.

I have installed the bumper (I did that last night), but have not mounted the tire carrier yet. The bumper install had a couple issues that I thought I would mention.

First, since I have the 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Ecodiesel, there is a DEF tank at the driver’s rear side of the vehicle, that makes it very difficult to install the 4” and 4 1/2” bolts that tie into the bumper. I had to lower the DEF tank to get the two driver’s side bolts to start through the holes.

Second, lowering that DEF skid was a bit of a pain, since the drivers’-side bolt that holds the stock DEF skid plate is partially covered by the new bumper itself. That is an issue that could be resolved by cutting a little relief into the bumper. I am attaching a couple photos of that issue: one with the bolt removed and before I repainted the area I had to grind off; and a second photo after I painted the area and installed the bolt.

Jeep Wrangler JL LOD Destroyer rear bumper on a diesel, DEF tank support in the way CF47D650-33CD-4825-917D-A19E6E88CB2E

Finally, Your instructions mention that Chrysler’s welds may be sloppy and may cause the bumper to be uneven, which is true. I ground off and repainted the sloppy welds, but the frame horns are apparently a bit uneven, so I had to shim under the frame on the passenger side to make the bumper sit evenly. I don’t blame you for that one, but it is worth mentioning anyway, as it is a figment issue.

Overall, I really like the bumper and hope the rest of the install goes well. I used to be a mechanic at a Ford dealership, so I do not consider myself mechanically inept, but I still have about five hours into this already. At this rate, I am seriously hoping not to have to reverse this install before I sell this beast.

Thanks again for your prompt reply, and I hope you are doing well in this new year!

Back to the post — In addition to the email, I had a couple conversations with their team at (877) 390-9584 about the parking sensors. They were nice, but the suggestion they had, which was rotate the sensors a little back and forth to see if they will work better, did not work. The literature says the tire carrier will hold 37” tires, and it likely would. Mine are 35” and my spare is mounted as high as possible on the tire carrier. Regardless, the sensors pick it up and are useless. That is the one thing about this purchase that still bugs me.

Anyway, good luck!
thanks that helps. The notching out the bumper is what I was seeing as needing to be done but I hadn’t done the full install so I was hoping I was missing something. Glad I got the diesel but man it has caused some headaches with fitment on parts.
I was wondering if I had to cut the ends even on the frame, sounds like you did. While I was never a professional car mechanic, I’m quite capable working on vehicles and this bumper seems to be one of those installed that takes a lot of time fussing to get things to be right. Worth it in the end, but patience tester getting there.
I luckily don’t have the sensors, what I’ve read is it is the width of the tire that is the big issue. Narrower tires don’t set the parking sensors off.

OP
OP
brewski

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Yes, i don't tow anything so just left the two bolts out of it for now. if I get ambitious in the future I might try to loosen everything up and install the final two bolts.
Yeah I tow always, basically anytime it’s not a day trip. I have 3 kids 4y and younger so there is no room for camping gear.
My JK. Next year I plan on painting the trailer to match my JL.
Jeep Wrangler JL LOD Destroyer rear bumper on a diesel, DEF tank support in the way FC78F071-A998-43EE-9BF1-43CEF7EE5B80

Jeep Wrangler JL LOD Destroyer rear bumper on a diesel, DEF tank support in the way 4285ED41-E148-49A7-94DC-DA2FE24FF8F2

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel
If it makes you feel any better I still have the stock rear bumper and the sensors freak out at my 315/70/17 KO2's. Like you, I just turn off parksense and go about my day.:rock:

OP
OP
brewski

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Update: LOD said that the DEF tank does need to drop a few inches for install, but they have made an adjustment on their bumper that will make that bolt fit fine. I won’t get to installing it until this weekend, so I’ll post up what I had to do etc with pics for future diesel owners wanting to do a destroyer rear bumper.

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel

Jeep Wrangler JL LOD Destroyer rear bumper on a diesel, DEF tank support in the way 4285ED41-E148-49A7-94DC-DA2FE24FF8F2

Anyway, good luck!
I had a similar exchange. They couldn't care less that I had fitment issues with my bumper and same response on the sensors. They just don't work and its a bumper design flaw. It's not the tire, its the angle of the bumper face.
Sponsored