LOD Bumper Failure (not mine)

AndrewHW

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLUR
I pulled this off another forum I frequent. It’s not my set up, however, I do use a LOD bumper for flat towing. Looks like it pulled the connection point right off the bumper. I know LOD had come up with the frame tie in brackets to alleviate that potential failure point but I’m not sure what can be done about this.
Jeep Wrangler JL LOD Bumper Failure (not mine) 88A16EFC-9107-47B0-AA9A-2601C3DAF09A

Jeep Wrangler JL LOD Bumper Failure (not mine) 6B892F53-D18B-49AE-9A65-1E1CDE9B5145
Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I’m no expert, but that looks like a pretty
piss-poor design for towing. It should at the very least be welded front and back, especially welding the thick tow point to the thin bumper. Maybe even machine the tow attachment in a “T” shape that slides through the bumper from behind. It wouldn’t be able to pull out even if the welds failed.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Yikes! Glad the person and all are okay. Wonder what LOD is saying about the ’event’?

I have a RockHard4x4 aluminum bumper that is designed for use as a toad and after 1500mi behind my Class C on some rough terrain, I am very happy with it. Difference is the tie points are ’clevis fittings’ that are bolted directly to the frame ends. I did alot of research to find an aftermarket bumper specifically designed for flat towing with some engineering behind it.

Robie

First Name
Robie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
Clubs

Yikes! Glad the person and all are okay. Wonder what LOD is saying about the ’event’?

I have a RockHard4x4 aluminum bumper that is designed for use as a toad and after 1500mi behind my Class C on some rough terrain, I am very happy with it. Difference is the tie points are ’clevis fittings’ that are bolted directly to the frame ends. I did alot of research to find an aftermarket bumper specifically designed for flat towing with some engineering behind it.
Hey Dragoneggs, which RockHard4x4 aluminum bumper did you get? I’m in the market for a flat tow bumper. -Thanks!

OP
OP
AndrewHW

AndrewHW

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLUR
I went out and looked at mine today. The pin has rubbed some of the rhino lining or whatever last coat is put on the bumper and some rust is starting to form. If that rust spreads to the welds, I can see some weakening.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Hey Dragoneggs, which RockHard4x4 aluminum bumper did you get? I’m in the market for a flat tow bumper. -Thanks!
https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90248.htm

I had them delete the bull bar that saved a little weight and best, it doesn’t block the front trail cam. I see the price went up at least for the aluminum version I went with for weight reasons. Great quality and I am very happy with it.
Sponsored